AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
I am not surprised by your finding.
I compared a pair of REF250 with an Accuphase A65 on Wilson Sasha. The A65 gave much more grip and control. It was also more musical.
That's because Accuphase kicks ass, imo.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:20 PM

I have been auditioning an X350.8 for a solid 6 weeks. It's my first Pass Labs foray. I have a pair of XA100.8 arriving tomorrow to compare. I am extremely excited to say the least. In the time I've had these I will mention a couple of observations. I will preface by explaining that I'm not really certain if these are amplifier dependent however none the less. First - the overall sound of my system (Classe pre/Pro, ariel acoustic 7t, Esoteric K-03, etc) was really improved when I ran the X350.8 thru my Torus RM 20 conditioner. It was substantial. I have all dedicated 20 amp receptacles. Also, and this might have nothing to do with the amp but the sound came alive when I went from internally bi-wiring my Ariel 7ts to externally bi-wiring with different sets of cables.

Anyway I am looking very very forward to see what the XA series is all about! I am going to listen to them for the first week straight into the wall but the next weeke I have an Audence Adept Ar2-Ts waiting which I think will be a solid addition.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Looking forward to your impressions Flyingyeff.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:51 PM

Ok here are my impressions. HOLY s#%£!!!! I am blown away. My first experience with all Class A and monoblocks. I haven't been deprived --- spent the last 6 years with a very very wonderful sounding Classe 5 channel, 200 watt amp (CA-5200). Outstanding. Moved to the Pass X350.8.... Dynamic and wonderful but something missing. Found it! Pass XA100.8. Holy cow! I will tell you that I A/B with and without the Audience Ar2-ts and without question the Audience brought even more life to the party. Great great
Piece of gear too.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingyeff View Post
Ok here are my impressions. HOLY s#%£!!!! I am blown away. My first experience with all Class A and monoblocks. I haven't been deprived --- spent the last 6 years with a very very wonderful sounding Classe 5 channel, 200 watt amp (CA-5200). Outstanding. Moved to the Pass X350.8.... Dynamic and wonderful but something missing. Found it! Pass XA100.8. Holy cow! I will tell you that I A/B with and without the Audience Ar2-ts and without question the Audience brought even more life to the party. Great great
Piece of gear too.
Hello,
I had a homecinema system Claase (SSP800_CA2300_CA3200) -> ok....good but not wodnerful!!!! (imho)
ow 2 channel pure stereo: 1° xp20 and Xa250.5 - 2° xp20 and Xa100.5 - 3° xp20 - XA100.8 - 4° ARC REF5se - Xa100.8 now back with Pass Xp20 and Xa100.8.

Xa100.8 is a awesome ampli: the X350.8 is sure not bad but the Xa serie wins hands down!!!!

I use Sasha2 as speaker and the 100.8 are enough!!! (room is around 55m2) -> a pair of Xa160.8 (Xa200.8 have really no sense for me...) will be sure a great update but not so necessary.... invest money in a great source and room "pieces" can be a surprise....

I like use silver/copper cables with the class A, not a fully copper cable. -> WireWolrd silver eclipse xlr interconnects pre-amp and pre-source is my choice.
for the speakers now kimber KS but a Transparent Ultra gen. 5 (inside the Wilson speaker is very recommended....-> anyway WW SilverEclipse can be too a good mactch..)

greets
Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 AM

Hey raido,

I am using the Classe SSP800. It is a wonderful piece and has served me well as a one box solution for both 2-ch and ht. Maybe far down the line I would move to the Pass Pre or even the ARC REFSE - heard very very good things !

The Sasha 2 are my dream speakers.....for now, no complaints from my Ariel Acoustic 7ts....medium sized room....gets the job done nicely.

Man, as for cables.....where does it end !
Old 07-21-2015, 01:35 PM

personaly the Pass XA100.8 and REF5se dont like me....after 2months sell und back with a PassXp20.

Much better.

I have listen the GrandiNote Domino AMAZING: The Pass and the ARC dont have any chance....
Old 07-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
personaly the Pass XA100.8 and REF5se dont like me....after 2months sell und back with a PassXp20.

Much better.

I have listen the GrandiNote Domino AMAZING: The Pass and the ARC dont have any chance....
Perhaps you had a bad experience with ref5se. I tried wit my xa100.5 a xp10, 20 . It was very good but something was missing. With ref5 it was immediate, wider image, deeper bass, mid was bloomy. After upgrade for se, two steps better, and if you put nos tubes, you are in heave
Old 07-23-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidho View Post
personaly the Pass XA100.8 and REF5se dont like me....after 2months sell und back with a PassXp20. Much better. I have listen the GrandiNote Domino AMAZING: The Pass and the ARC dont have any chance....
You need to run in the Ref 5SE >600 hrs in order for it to sound really great. Maybe 2 months of playing is still not enough for the pre amp to properly run in yet.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM

raido, how long did you feel until the X100.8s were fully broken in and at their best ?