AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
If you're asking me why I have no idea and this is not something to speculate on - hopefully we can get a clarification on this from Pass Labs.
Good point. I'm sure we'll find out as more information comes out on these new amps. I look forward to reading the reviews and hearing them for myself.

Best,
Ken
Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM

This peak amp reduction issue in the new .8 line was first brought to my attention by my dealer back in early December before I pulled the trigger on my XA200.5. At the time, I decided to go for it given that I am interested in speakers that are extremely current hungry, but I also decided to negotiate the option to compare my .5's to the .8's anytime throughput 2014 and then trade in my .5 for the .8 for full credit if I choose to do so.

I love everything I am hearing about he .8's, but if I go Q5 a 20% increase in amperage could be a big deal. I too am very curious as to why all the discussion about increased power supply in the .8's Press Release would result in lower current. I have a suspicion it has something to do with the change in Class A bias. I have email into Pass but it is pretty slow there this week
Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
This peak amp reduction issue in the new .8 line was first brought to my attention by my dealer back in early December before I pulled the trigger on my XA200.5. At the time, I decided to go for it given that I am interested in speakers that are extremely current hungry, but I also decided to negotiate the option to compare my .5's to the .8's anytime throughput 2014 and then trade in my .5 for the .8 for full credit if I choose to do so.

I love everything I am hearing about he .8's, but if I go Q5 a 20% increase in amperage could be a big deal. I too am very curious as to why all the discussion about increased power supply in the .8's Press Release would result in lower current. I have a suspicion it has something to do with the change in Class A bias. I have email into Pass but it is pretty slow there this week
Hi Paul,

You have a good dealer if he picked up on the reduced peak current output of the XA-200.8 vs. the XA-200.5. And very nice that he offered you a full value trade-in option for 12 months.

I agree that an eight amp decrease in peak output could be material with power hungry speakers but there also could be mitigating factors with the changes in the amps' output stage as you stated.

This is a very interesting time for Pass owners, as the company does not update its X or XA lines very often and the changes appear to be substantial. I'll be interested to read comments from CES attendees regarding how they sound.

Best,
Ken
Old 01-10-2014, 04:49 PM

I bought an x250.5 last year, so I'm naturally curious about the x250.8 now. But I'm also wondering how the xa60.8 might compare (especially curious what changes to expect in the low end...like if the low end of the xa.8 might have tightened up to x.5 levels?)

Last edited by scb; 01-13-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Not surprising really, since they put out significantly less peak amps than their .5 series counterparts, at least according to the specs listed (40 vs 48 for the XA 200, 30 vs 36 for the XA 160). Hmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Thanks again, Howard. I'm actually surprised that the .8 series amps have lower maximum current delivery than the .5 series amps, especially when the article states that the power supplies are larger and have up to a third more storage capacitance. Any thoughts as to why?

All the best,
Ken
Seems that those amplifier specs were only preliminary. The final specs have been posted on the Pass Labs site and they make a heck of a lot more sense. The peak output of the XA160.8 is 50 amps (up from the XA160.5's 36 amps)!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Seems that those amplifier specs were only preliminary. The final specs have been posted on the Pass Labs site and they make a heck of a lot more sense. The peak output of the XA160.8 is 50 amps (up from the XA160.5's 36 amps)!
Thanks Sandman, I'll check them out.

Ken
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Thanks Sandman, I'll check them out.

Ken
It's the same link as before: https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/...int8_specs.pdf