AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Jerry,

I am so pleased for you. I had exactly the same sentiment as you. It is not hit you in the face type of sound but it is very musical and very non fatiguing. I had no itch to change when i had it either. My wife misses it a lot as well.

If you have no need to change, buy the Sooloos. It really is a wonderful server and the fact that it is so easy to use means that you will listen to more music which after all, is the whole point right??!!

Audio Nirvana!
Thanks Bro. I might just go that way and give the 60th Anniversary a slip even though I like to collect collectables.

I had a good listen at my friends place on his Stradivari, some 4 years old powered by a full Pass Labs system and on vinyl and really, its something of a revelation too. Maybe its because my taste had changed or something happen to my listening sense cause I never liked his setup the first I heard it.

Well, its very musical ... VERY! So, I think you will have a system for keeps too. Beautiful gorgeous and musical system! Envy like hell man .......

Now, this may be a part you would like to note ... and thats using TUBE amps gave the system much more presence, tonality and musicality, akin to tasting a fantastic durian where there's "bite" the moment you sink your teeth and the tongue began to taste ... I can never write that down in words but I think you got my message ... I hope. The whole presentation takes on a more lifelike approach ... like the singer singing instead of a recording. Life like! The amps, "borrowed", or rather, carried over by another enthusiasts is the Audio Research top Ref 5 & 610 Amps. This guy had the Amati Anniversario and thinking of upgrading .... and he IS convinced. Both these guys are ONE source users, VINYL .... my friend uses the top Raven TT .... with 2 arms (why I never could understand when one is already MORE than enough .. 2? )

Anyway, I cant wait to hear/read of your reviews on your top notch system. Should the day comes when the system broke down beyond repair/fix, then I would re-visit my craving for NEW toys. For now, this setup WILL DO!

Sooloos, I will consider. Still have a week to do so!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 09-09-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
And if going by what you said, then the monies would be better spent on getting a Sooloos Control 15 + Twinstore (2 x 2TB) to making a complete Meridian setup!

Hmmmm ....

I will sleep on that for a few nights ...... After all, in a week's time, this new Sooloos will hit Singapore! The local dealer is dying to make me get that from him. US$11k ..... Big sum of monies for a music server where I think the current NAS/iTunes serves well (may not be as detail in data or even clarity .... Flac (Sooloos) vs Lossless (Apple) .... where I dont really know as I am not technically incline to know for sure the difference.

Anyone care to comment? The only thing I know is I could get back some returns (could be a sizable sum of $$) by selling off a huge chunk of my CD collection once these are ripped into Sooloos and only keep those selected hard copies I deem as "worthy collectables". Save space too! And also having monies to get me the top Ortofon 2M Black.

Cheers!

If you have the space and funds for a Sooloos, then yes. Otherwise do a custom build solution which will be cheaper and just as effective - if not potentially sounding better (and being more functional).

Think 10+ TB, FLAC (screw apple lossless, hate it, hate it, hate it...), WAV for 96/24 or better (those eat up gobs of drive space), and a svelte HTPC type box connected to your big screen, and controlled by your droid or iPhone (droid preferred). Not to mention having the ability to stream H.264, Blu-Ray, DVD, well - anything really.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
If you have the space and funds for a Sooloos, then yes. Otherwise do a custom build solution which will be cheaper and just as effective - if not potentially sounding better (and being more functional).

Think 10+ TB, FLAC (screw apple lossless, hate it, hate it, hate it...), WAV for 96/24 or better (those eat up gobs of drive space), and a svelte HTPC type box connected to your big screen, and controlled by your droid or iPhone (droid preferred). Not to mention having the ability to stream H.264, Blu-Ray, DVD, well - anything really.
Ahhhhhh Like my "cough" McIntosh NVS1000!
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 AM

Jerry your middle name is "upgrade" I say get the SF Strads.

What... don't shoot me, someone had to tell you what you deep down want to hear

Meridian makes great stuff enjoy while it lasts
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Jerry your middle name is "upgrade" I say get the SF Strads.

What... don't shoot me, someone had to tell you what you deep down want to hear

Meridian makes great stuff enjoy while it lasts
SF Stradivaris ..... hmmmm, I still love the Meridian DSP8000's. Together with their own 808i.2, its a great combo, no need for special cables (power or otherwise - so save me tons of monies).

If there's any upgrade I would do today, its the TT. I have learn to love vinyl so much, I think its time to go for ..... (keeping confidential for the moment).

Yes, its all about music!

Cheers!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Definitely 'love it' for me

I converted to Meridian fairly recent. Started with DSP 3100 and 507 CD player. Upgraded quickly to DSP 5200. (But still find the 3100's extremely good and underrated monitors).

I came from Sonus Faber (Cremona Auditor) and Karan (KAI 180) combo. I don't regret this upgrade for one minute. Totally different sound I am extremely happy with.

Here are a few pics of my system:

Old 12-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Hi "tompj",

Gorgeous setup! I seen it "there" and now I see it again and MORE .....

Like you, I am really starting to like Meridian more and more as each day passes. Especially, the Sooloos. While at times I hesitate in ditching some CDs due to nostalgia, I am now beginning to question if I want to keep those that are really bad sounding as I had them ripped into the Sooloss and with some "magic", it became much more musical and listenable (for those really bad ones).

I think I am going to stay with this combo for a long time!

Cheers!