AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Default Meridian System - Love It Or ... ?

Having lived with the "exchanged/swapped" Meridian System for close to 2.5 months, its time I share my view/opinion/experience about it.

I "inherited" the foundation system, a Meridian 808i.2 CD/DAC/Pre and a pair of Meridian DSP8000 speakers from a close friend (hope he does not mind me using the word - "close") in end June.

Needless to say, both these items design and build are top notch but very different from the ones I used to own, McIntosh, Jeff Rowland and the like in that very little "bare" metal can be seen. In place, one sees well sculptured equipment of glass, well lacquered metal and wood? (for the speakers). And yes, the speakers are really build to a very high standard of fit and piano finished black color!

The next difference would be the LACK of need for use of "specialty" cables, whether its power or connections. Between the speakers and the CD/DAC/Pre, Meridian designed cables must be used. If one is not picky, the "standard" OEM Meridian power cords would suffice too! I chose to be different by using the rather inexpensive Shunyata "Venom 3" power cords for the Meridian 808i.2, Tuners and TT.

First impression this combo gave was that its neither impressive or hit you in the face type of performance. Rather, its gentle and non assuming ... And its after a prolong listening session that I realized that the music presentation is very analogue and non fatigue. Cranking up the volume does not make "any difference" except taking on a sense of realism rather than loudness! No CD "glare or harshness", but just smooth analogue sounding music. Makes the session so much more relaxing and enjoying that one tends to take on a non critical approach and forget about being picky. Unlike the past where one tends to be alert, sharp and quick to point out any sign of musical performance discrepancy of the equipments.

Using the Oppo BDP 83se NuForce Edition Universal player yielded similar results. And this is thru the "standard" RCA input than via the very high quality Meridian "aphodising" DAC's of the 808i.2.

The system is very revealing, even as we speak of its rather forgiving, relaxing presentation nature. Using 3 very different tuners (Magnum Dynalab MD90, Accuphase T1000 & the 7 year old Meridian 504) yielded different results and reflected very clearly each tuner's strength (and weakness - when making comparison). Of course, the Accuphase T1000 came up tops as every nuance in speech and music broadcasted are CLEARLY captured. While both the Magnum Dynalab MD90 and the Meridian 504 tuners are almost of the same quality and performance ... steps lower than the markedly pristine performance of the Accuphase.

In the end, I kept the most expensive and the cheapest of the 3 tuners and sold away, at a S$100 loss, the MD90 to a friend the very day the Accuphase was delivered, although he was nice enough to let me make comparisons by bringing to my house.

I have never given vinyl a good listening although I had owned the venerable top notch Linn LP12 combo of its time (mid 80's). Somehow, the musical presentation does not capture my attention nor made me want to 'sit up' and listen to it. This time, via the demo Thorens TD2030 set I bought from the local dealer really made me "SIT UP" cause the sound produced is so captivating! And its all via a very humble S$290 Ortofon 2M Blue. Is it because of the TT, the vinyl "magic" or the Meridian system, I could not tell. What I can make out is I am liking the musical presentation very much and able to enjoy WITHOUT ONE BIT of fault finding nit picking behavior!

Each time I play a piece of music, be it a radio broadcast (via the humble 7 years old Meridian tuner 504), the TT, red book CD or SACD, I am able to just sit there, listen and have an enjoyable session! Just simply that!

Not a single time looking and wondering if I like the looks of the equipments or if I should start making changes to cables or even the gears. All I did was just sit down and listen for a few hours to the whole musical session peacefully! Thats it!

I have tried to wonder off by listening to my favorite MBL reference system, new found Burmester reference system and even dropping by to the same Wilson Sasha/SF Stradivari dealer to arouse my desire to change/upgrade itch. Each time I came home charged up and ready to "cook the story of my life" to effect the purchase of a NEW system to replace, yet I could not go further than 30 minutes into a CD performance as right after, my mind just went blank. I simply could find no fault large enough to warrant a new purchase. It somehow soothe off the itch in me!

Is the Meridian really a great system? I am not sure. Is it the best there is, I dont think so. Do I still have the itch to buy and change, yes I do ... each time I visited the shops, the itch does comes and lingers on. BUT in the end, AFTER listening to the Meridian system, it just simply erases the idea!

Will it ever be replaced? Certainly, when it broke down beyond repair. It may not produce the cleanest, clearest, highest nor deepest performance but whatever it produces, its just spell music, music I can relax and enjoy.

Which comes to the question if I should go buy the Sooloos. Yes, I want to in my mind, but I also must be realistic to acknowledge I am having so many mediums that I could not use all of it. After all, one source, if its musical would suffice. The rest are just wants and desires, not MUST HAVE's.

I may have just found audio nirvana - well at least for now and so far .... And for that, I must say ... "Thank You for letting me have this system, Howard!". You really help me save my monies today! Something I have NOT been able to do so all these years.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Oh, and here are the pictures of my system, just taken using the iPhone 4 and its new "HDR" software. Not that great, but just hoping you guys like them. Thanks for viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meridian 504 Tuner.jpg (97.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Meridian 808i.2.jpg (97.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Thorens TD2030.jpg (94.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg My System.jpg (95.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Jerry
The man who never sleeps!!

Nice write up my friend. I think you have hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of really nice systems out there and we often take our own for granted until we come home and really listen.

Happy listening. Glad you are happy.
Jim
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jerry.......Nice review. You will never get over the urge to upgrade, but it seems you have finally acquired a sound system that erases the urge while you are home. Stay away from the shops, and you will be fine.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Jerry
The man who never sleeps!!

Nice write up my friend. I think you have hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of really nice systems out there and we often take our own for granted until we come home and really listen.

Happy listening. Glad you are happy.
Jim
I do sleep but because all these years I am use to working long into the night thats why I am alert now and becoming blurry during daytime lunch hour where I do a 1.5 hour "power nap" to recharge every day. Cheers! And of course, over the weekend, I sort of try to make it up on the hours!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jerry.......Nice review. You will never get over the urge to upgrade, but it seems you have finally acquired a sound system that erases the urge while you are home. Stay away from the shops, and you will be fine.
Thanks Dan .... I will do just that!

BUT the 60th Anniversary is very alluring .......

The only thing is TRUST! And that could spell a "miss".

Its always good to do some "self teasing" once in a while to spice up the hifi life! or else, very mundane at times.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Jerry, the 800/8000 series Meridian equipment has always received high praise from me - and for all the reasons you mentioned. Just looking at the 800 series multi-use and the 8000 speakers made me a little warm and fuzzy on the inside.

The 60th anniversary system won't hold a candle to it!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 PM

I saw the movie Dinner for Schmucks over the weekend (my wife and I were the only two Schmucks in the theater) and there were s few scenes where they had showed a complete Meridian system with what looked to be the top of the lines speakers.
Jim
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Jerry, the 800/8000 series Meridian equipment has always received high praise from me - and for all the reasons you mentioned. Just looking at the 800 series multi-use and the 8000 speakers made me a little warm and fuzzy on the inside.

The 60th anniversary system won't hold a candle to it!
And if going by what you said, then the monies would be better spent on getting a Sooloos Control 15 + Twinstore (2 x 2TB) to making a complete Meridian setup!

Hmmmm ....

I will sleep on that for a few nights ...... After all, in a week's time, this new Sooloos will hit Singapore! The local dealer is dying to make me get that from him. US$11k ..... Big sum of monies for a music server where I think the current NAS/iTunes serves well (may not be as detail in data or even clarity .... Flac (Sooloos) vs Lossless (Apple) .... where I dont really know as I am not technically incline to know for sure the difference.

Anyone care to comment? The only thing I know is I could get back some returns (could be a sizable sum of $$) by selling off a huge chunk of my CD collection once these are ripped into Sooloos and only keep those selected hard copies I deem as "worthy collectables". Save space too! And also having monies to get me the top Ortofon 2M Black.

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Jerry,

I am so pleased for you. I had exactly the same sentiment as you. It is not hit you in the face type of sound but it is very musical and very non fatiguing. I had no itch to change when i had it either. My wife misses it a lot as well.

If you have no need to change, buy the Sooloos. It really is a wonderful server and the fact that it is so easy to use means that you will listen to more music which after all, is the whole point right??!!

Audio Nirvana!