AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 PM

Default 802 D2s are finally in the mix.

Was lucky enough to get to do a side by side comparison today with a good range of 800 series. My main focus was on the 802D2s and 802D3s as I was truly curious to hear the difference between them. Of course the technical improvements are obvious but it's always the pudding the contains the proof.

I saw a few back to back posts already with these but I believe I did something a bit different here. Both were set up identically next to each other with the D2s just a little farther out to the sides. I was also lucky to have an almost identical mcintosh system driving them as mine. I actually got a laugh at the request but was then told "it's really the only way to know" after he thought about it....I actually sat in the listening position with my eyes closed and had the tech randomly switch between the D2s and D3s starting with the exact same track and exact same volume. I tried this with classical, jazz, rock and finished off with electronic. Here are my results.

Classical - I honestly couldn't tell between the two and had them switched back twice When I tried to pick which was which for the hell of it I was wrong once and right once. ( just chance as I really didn't know)

Jazz - Here I knew right away which was the D3 as it seemed there was a light filter that was removed and let in a different level of clarity and separation with the highs and mids. Again with my eyes closed, I did really have to listen a bit before I could tell but I did and got my picks right every time when I tried.

Rock - The rock listening must have been right in between Classical and Jazz are as far as the difference because even though I guessed right every time, it was very hard and had to listen 3X as long than Jazz to make my guess. Both sounded fantastic and I had to wait for specific attributes of vocals or instruments to really shine to make my differenciation.

Electronic - Well here I thought I had picked correctly and made my choice immediately both times but my guesses were based on the premise that the D3 would be the best sound. With this I was dead wrong and the D2 really had much more of a crisp thump in the bass category. From my own experimentation I know this could be entirely due to positioning as we didn't bother moving each speaker in the exact place as the other when active (far from laboratory conditions).

All and all yes, IMO the D3s definitely delivered more for me but I can say positively that my results would have been magnified exponentially if I knew which I was hearing. Before we tried the test I did a one time back and forth knowing which was which and I thought the D3s were worlds apart when I first heard them after the D2s. Mind you this was also after being told the technical specs of their advantages, which is along list, and retail price. It's no mystery that being convinced in your head something is going to be superior and expectations can make it so. I would think this mental persuasion would be even stronger if I had dropped the $$ for D3s.

So I decided on the D2s and am thrilled. Honestly even if the D3s were in my budget, which they are not, getting the D2s for far less than half the price of the 3s was a no brainer. Anyway happy camper and having delivered tonight so will post pics when all is set up. Appreciate all the help and feedback from the members especially Ivan (aka Masterlu)
Old 04-28-2016, 08:30 PM

Awesome and please post pics!!

I find that at this level every step up provides small benefits but at significant incremental cost. You did VERY well with the D2's and don't look back. Congrats on your FINE new pair of speakers!!!
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 04-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Nice test procedure you followed. Not many opportunities these days with B&M stores shuttering to be able to have that type of A-B comparison. Count yourself fortunate.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:34 PM

Expectation Bias is a real thing. I agree with your assessment that the D2 & D3 series are very alike. Saves me money on the potential change.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101 View Post
Expectation Bias is a real thing. I agree with your assessment that the D2 & D3 series are very alike. Saves me money on the potential change.
Of course was my own opinion and I'm by no means an audiophile expert but yes, unless the money really was no object, I think the D2s are phenomenal for the money now.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 PM

Maybe you bought my used set of speakers.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity1 View Post

Was lucky enough to get to do a side by side comparison today with a good range of 800 series. My main focus was on the 802D2s and 802D3s as I was truly curious to hear the difference between them. Of course the technical improvements are obvious but it's always the pudding the contains the proof.

I saw a few back to back posts already with these but I believe I did something a bit different here. Both were set up identically next to each other with the D2s just a little farther out to the sides. I was also lucky to have an almost identical mcintosh system driving them as mine. I actually got a laugh at the request but was then told "it's really the only way to know" after he thought about it....I actually sat in the listening position with my eyes closed and had the tech randomly switch between the D2s and D3s starting with the exact same track and exact same volume. I tried this with classical, jazz, rock and finished off with electronic. Here are my results.

Classical - I honestly couldn't tell between the two and had them switched back twice When I tried to pick which was which for the hell of it I was wrong once and right once. ( just chance as I really didn't know)

Jazz - Here I knew right away which was the D3 as it seemed there was a light filter that was removed and let in a different level of clarity and separation with the highs and mids. Again with my eyes closed, I did really have to listen a bit before I could tell but I did and got my picks right every time when I tried.

Rock - The rock listening must have been right in between Classical and Jazz are as far as the difference because even though I guessed right every time, it was very hard and had to listen 3X as long than Jazz to make my guess. Both sounded fantastic and I had to wait for specific attributes of vocals or instruments to really shine to make my differenciation.

Electronic - Well here I thought I had picked correctly and made my choice immediately both times but my guesses were based on the premise that the D3 would be the best sound. With this I was dead wrong and the D2 really had much more of a crisp thump in the bass category. From my own experimentation I know this could be entirely due to positioning as we didn't bother moving each speaker in the exact place as the other when active (far from laboratory conditions).

All and all yes, IMO the D3s definitely delivered more for me but I can say positively that my results would have been magnified exponentially if I knew which I was hearing. Before we tried the test I did a one time back and forth knowing which was which and I thought the D3s were worlds apart when I first heard them after the D2s. Mind you this was also after being told the technical specs of their advantages, which is along list, and retail price. It's no mystery that being convinced in your head something is going to be superior and expectations can make it so. I would think this mental persuasion would be even stronger if I had dropped the $$ for D3s.

So I decided on the D2s and am thrilled. Honestly even if the D3s were in my budget, which they are not, getting the D2s for far less than half the price of the 3s was a no brainer. Anyway happy camper and having delivered tonight so will post pics when all is set up. Appreciate all the help and feedback from the members especially Ivan (aka Masterlu)
Killer post. That's why blind testing is so important and intimidating. I love how Harman tests its speakers versus competitors in double blind tests.

I honestly couldn't hear enough of an improvement to upgrade my D2s to the D3s. In my listening the bass of the D3 was great, but that has as much to do with the room than the speaker itself. And those pesky dealers refused to let me borrow a pair to compare at my house. LOL
The highs and mids are more revealing in the D3, but since I share my home with 3 kids and my wife, I would probably miss the extra details anyways as I dont have a dead quite, perfectly treated, studio like music room Really envy those who do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity1 View Post
I think the D2s are phenomenal for the money now.
Agree!! If you get them set up right they are pretty great and hard to beat! In my 16 year experience with the 802 variants (N802, 802D & now D2), I have found that I enjoy them more positioned against the long wall of the room and closer to the front wall to reinforce the bass a bit if not being used with subs.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:15 AM

Glad you got the d2. They are good speakers.

One thing I note though is that your positioning of the two 802 are different. One is closer and the other is farther. This would influence the staging greatly.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 PM

Now that you see them all in line I feel the 802D2 still to me looks quite attractive and will go down as one of the all time classics for B&W. Of course I am biased as I started with the 802N and then moved to the 802D2.

I have seen the 802D3 several times up close and to me the turbine head sticks out more than the Marlin Head on the 802D2 and seems better integrated into the overall design.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:08 PM

Gravity1

Good choice with the 802D, you will love them.

Brian