AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
My wife and I were on a little mini vacation in Scottsdale when we went shopping one day. After going to some high end boutiques with her, she tagged along with me to a Wilson and Vandersteen dealer. In the room he had the Vandersteen 5A (without the grills), a pair of Max 3 and the Sasha's in the Desert Gold color. By comparison, the Sasha's looked small and elegant. My wife loved the color and after hearing the speakers she said "You must buy them!" She's always gotten the new cars, new furniture, and is a constant clothes buyer. She said it's now my turn.

Over the next several months she kept asking me if I ordered the Sasha's yet. So I finally did it.

I guess I'm very lucky...and she's really pretty and a lot of fun too! We are coming up on our 25th anniversary this fall. I think I'll keep her.
I love hearing it like this....

Instead of the hiding, lying, complaining, nagging...

Great Story!!

Now, lets see the speakers!

What color??
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM

They are being delivered on Friday. She also helped me pick out the color -- Dark Titanium.

I'll post some pictures this weekend, if I can drag myself away from the listening room to get the camera!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
So I went and listened to the Sasha's on Saturday. Very, very impressive sounding loudspeaker. I've never heard better in terms of overall coherency, dynamics, soundstaging - the works. I was smitten.

So I'm talking about it with my wife this morning. I showed her some pictures from Wilson's web site. She literally laughed out loud and said "you've got to be kidding, it looks like a robot!" This is the very tolerant woman who loves the look of McIntosh stuff and has encouraged me to get rid of the rest of my non-McIntosh gear.

Now I have to admit that when I look at pictures of the Sasha, some lyrics from Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage start to go through my head....
"It looks like a cross between an industrial vacuum cleaner and a chrome piggy bank with ..... "

I didn't find the appearance, in person, to be a problem at all. I've got pretty much free reign on the listening room, but her response was suprising. Our house isn't exactly in the style of Mies van der Rohe.

So, how did you do it?
How did you get to yes?
What was the collateral damage?

Throw me a bone here, would ya?
Not sure why she does not like them, they are clearly an architectural achievement as well as a great audio product.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Show her the Maxx3s or Alexandra's (more of the robot look) and then price... The Sasha's will look much better : )
Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Please remind us what gear you will using with the Sasha's

I love the Dark Titanium. Nice Choice!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Wilson speakers reside in some very upscale homes. Check the net for pics. Nuff said. Robots or whatever else you can think of, it doesn't change the fact that the Sophia II, Sasha, Maxx 3 and Alexandria X2v2 are some of the most impressive speakers in their respective price ranges. Oh yeah, they also come in multiple colors as well as custom. Who else offers that?
I think Serge listens with his eyes closed.

Sorry bud, couldn't resist. And that coming from a guy with bowling balls for midranges!

The pictures I've seen of the Sashas do not do justice to the speakers. They are not SF-beautiful, but when seen in person are much better. Take her to listen - when I took the wife to listen to Neal's (Beerdraft) setup, she had to be dragged from the listening seat. Granted, she's cool with the WAF on many things like the Petit LeMans, antique map collecting, audio and cars. Not into jewelry either.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 PM

'She got a sister????
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Now we're cookin'. Jerry - thanks for the specific advice. The 2301's cost me an entire bathroom refurb in collateral damage. Well worth it though.

To Dave's point, I need to find a room where the Sasha's aren't a prominent part of the decor - having MAXX's in the same room would definitely be a good thing!

I've also thought of an upgrade route - get the Sophia II's now, upgrade down the road.

It's funny - I've spent years adding to my system to get better midrange, more bass, better dynamic range, etc. With the Sasha's, it was a combination of adding great detail and dynamics while taking away the noise and distortion, the shrillness, letting the music just shine. I see what all the fuss is about.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Now we're cookin'. Jerry - thanks for the specific advice. The 2301's cost me an entire bathroom refurb in collateral damage. Well worth it though.
Sashas are definitely worth a granite countertop or a whole kitchen refurb.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 03-02-2010, 01:10 AM
From the BAT cave ...

My bride took a calculated risk - "You can buy whatever or how many speakers you want so long as they all stay in the basement"

You should have seen her face when she learned the price of the Alexandria 2's.

But when I said, naw, I am getting Sophia 2's, I was suddenly a reasonable and thrifty man.

Seriously, the best way is to be open about it and then address objections, if any. She is gonna notice new gear - not like you can hide it (unless you are Masterlu and it is McIntosh gear).

Last edited by chessman; 03-02-2010 at 09:34 AM.