AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 01-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Welp.. Supposedly mine left the factory this past Thurs. Should arrive by this coming weeks end. The proof is in the puddin as they say.

These things better be spectacular after waiting 12 weeks which in audiophile time is like waiting an equivalent in dog years. I've already caught myself with wandering eyes as I wait. Worst yet, I've already seen higher end Magico products pop up for sale at less money IN THE NEXT TOWN OVER which of course we're not available 12 weeks ago

Murphys Law!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Magic(o) Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomania View Post
Welp.. Supposedly mine left the factory this past Thurs. Should arrive by this coming weeks end. The proof is in the puddin as they say.

These things better be spectacular after waiting 12 weeks which in audiophile time is like waiting an equivalent in dog years. I've already caught myself with wandering eyes as I wait. Worst yet, I've already seen higher end Magico products pop up for sale at less money IN THE NEXT TOWN OVER which of course we're not available 12 weeks ago

Murphys Law!
I may see my S3 by the end of next week. My pair shipped earlier this week. I have now hit the 9 week mark. I won't put my Monitor Audio Gold 200 speakers on Craig's List until I know they have arrived at the dealership.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 PM

I'll finally be getting mine delivered to my home on Tues. Should be an interesting coming week
Old 02-01-2016, 04:47 PM

Default 24 Hours and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomania View Post
I'll finally be getting mine delivered to my home on Tues. Should be an interesting coming week
Count down begins.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Well ,good news on my end. My speakers will be delivered this evening.... Update. The S3s have arrived and have been installed. It took over an hour to get them off the truck, unpack them, and hook them up.

Last edited by corgidog59; 02-02-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgidog59 View Post
Well ,good news on my end. My speakers will be delivered this evening.... Update. The S3s have arrived and have been installed. It took over an hour to get them off the truck, unpack them, and hook them up.
An hour? Damn, you must have been excited, and understadably so. I've spent longer than an hour unpacking and installing new interconnects. I bet the S3s sound amazing. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
An hour? Damn, you must have been excited, and understadably so. I've spent longer than an hour unpacking and installing new interconnects. I bet the S3s sound amazing. Enjoy!!!
They packed both speakers in the same crate. The crate must have weighed at over 400 lbs. Thank God that the delivery guys (3 of them) did not have to carry the speakers up any stairs. They walked them through the garage and into my office/listening room. I have no idea how one would get a pair of S5s or S7s up a flight of stairs without the help of Superman. :-) I have the S3s on maple platforms so I can keep them off the carpet (Alon would not approve so I have been told) :-). Also, it is easier to slide them out of the way should I need to get behind my audio rack. I have left the grills on which is contrary to many owners' listening preferences but I do not want anything to accidentally harm the cones. I have a couple of dogs who love to play together and they run into things all the time.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 PM

image-2634647091.jpg

Sold a pair of Magico M5s to a friend whose music room is on the second floor! Glad someone knew how to get them up a narrow stairway.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Its been a long time coming but I also got mine. The crate they come in is no joke for sure at about 450lbs

Matte Bronze Glamour Shot

Last edited by audiomania; 02-04-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 AM

OK,

So providing some initial early impressions so far with about 40hrs on the speakers.

First things first, these things do the human voice extremely well. Two albums of note are Eric Capton's Slowhand and Tory Amos's Little Earth Quakes. In both albums I've heard the most realistic representation of the human voice in room that I can recall to date.

Listening fatigue seems non existent so far, even at louder volumes.

Speaker positioning has been fairly forgiving and I think I've already homed in on the ideal spot which is saying something considering it took me almost 6mos of trial and error to find the ideal spot on my previous speakers.

I get the impression that these Magico S3's can play rather loudly without even a hint of trouble or distortion. Granted, I'll be taking it pretty easy for a few hundred hours anyway but thus far 100db in room hasn't even phased them with no visible driver movement related drama to report.

Bass output is deceptive. At one point it seems average then when the recording calls for it, it's there without question. Tight and accurate would be the best terms to describe it.

Even with only 40hrs or so on them they have already gotten better than when out of the box. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed this progression continues in a positive way.

Lastly, I'm very glad I decided to go with a very powerful amp to drive these puppies. I'm pretty certain the 700w @4ohms I'm driving them with is paying dividends in the way they seem to effortlessly present the music. My initial concerns of using Class D amplification on these (Merrill Audio Veritas) seem unfounded. The clean amp and clean speaker combo seem right at home with each other.

More to come later

Last edited by audiomania; 02-07-2016 at 12:11 AM.