AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Do you ALWAYS clean your NEW lp's first???

Come on... tell the truth...

Share the process if you like.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:46 PM

I start the turntable. I take a pad and wipe the disc as it spins. If it is the winter I spray some stuff on it to reduce static.
Jim
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Mold release agent needs to be removed from new vinyl. I've heard that some come already pre-cleaned bud I don't know for sure. I will usually clean every new record anyways and there are many fluids that will get the job done. Of course some work better than others.

I don't spray anything on my vinyl, nor do I spit shine them.

I clean with a RCM, use good quality fluids and then use a grounded anti-static brush as well as zerostat if static becomes a problem. Static in the room is easily overcome by a humidifier in the winter.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

I clean them with solutions purchased from Jeff at A/V Solutions, then I use the carbon fiber brush on it while it's on the TT, lower the arm, and sit back and enjoy.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:13 PM

i have yet to clean a NEW release on my VPI machine I have had since January, as long as it sounds good when I spin it.

I clean every USED record thoroughly on my VPI. Initially, I was a disc doctor fluid kind of guy. I am currently experimenting with MoFi record wash products.

I have heard first hand the difference cleaning can make on old, second hand records.

i am skeptical i would hear a difference on new vinyl. In fact, some of my new vinyl sounds sooooo good i wouldnt want to jinx it by leaving some cleaning residue in the grooves. My Music Matters Blue Notes come to mind...how could these SOUND better after a cleaning - they are perfect as is

i ALWAYS use my AcousTech big record brush every time I spin a record. I need a Zerostat gun. I dont believe using a grounded brush is necessary, just a gimmick in my eyes. No static issues down here in the swamps.....

j

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 08-03-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
i have yet to clean a NEW release on my VPI machine I have had since January, as long as it sounds good when I spin it.

i am skeptical i would hear a difference on new vinyl. In fact, some of my new vinyl sounds sooooo good i wouldnt want to jinx it by leaving some cleaning residue in the grooves. My Music Matters Blue Notes come to mind...how could these SOUND better after a cleaning - they are perfect as is

j

What are others experience....could you HEAR a difference on already "clean" playing new vinyl or is it just to be sure there isnt anything untoward clinging to the grooves. Which fluids work best with new vinyl??

I am open to an education regarding the mysterious mold release boogie man

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM

I guess one of the reasons that I bring this up is the other day I was spinning some records for a friend who is a big lp collector and we listened to a lot of stuff and on 1 new lp he asked if I had played it much... in fact, it was the first time... he said that he "heard" some of the "pressing fluids" or whatever still on the record.

Made me get a lot more serious about cleaning new lps...

????
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
I
asked if I had played it much... in fact, it was the first time... he said that he "heard" some of the "pressing fluids" or whatever still on the record.

????
Well I thought I had heard it all.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
I guess one of the reasons that I bring this up is the other day I was spinning some records for a friend who is a big lp collector and we listened to a lot of stuff and on 1 new lp he asked if I had played it much... in fact, it was the first time... he said that he "heard" some of the "pressing fluids" or whatever still on the record.

????
I've heard the difference. MM seem to be pretty clean out of the pressing plant and with most others it's a crap shoot. Some even have residue that is visible...

Last edited by PHC1; 08-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Static is a real problem for many in the winter months. A grounded brush is not a gimmick since it gives static a path to ground and dissipates it. Again, very audible. Just because something is not necessary in your particular case, does not make it a "gimmick".

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post

I clean every USED record thoroughly on my VPI. Initially, I was a disc doctor fluid kind of guy. I am currently experimenting with MoFi record wash products.

I have heard first hand the difference cleaning can make on old, second hand records.

i ALWAYS use my AcousTech big record brush every time I spin a record. I need a Zerostat brush. I dont believe using a grounded brush is necessary, just a gimmick in my eyes. No static issues down here in the swamps.....

j