AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Default Subs for 2ch duty

Hello all.

I am interested in using my two JL Audio subs (e-112) for 2ch listening.

Currently, the subs are being used for HT duties.
I use the LFE output from MX121 to Sub #1 line in (WW Oasis cable), and sub#2 is piggybacked to #1 through #1's line out (WW Oasis cable).

Question is: is it possible to use both subs for both HT and 2ch duties, and if so, what is the best way to achieve this? (connection and cables?). I do not have a 2-ch preamp, only the MX-121.

Thanks all in advance and cheers!!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:43 AM

If you only have the MX121 HT processor, what 2-channel sources are connected to it now?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 AM

MCD 500 (cd's SACD's) unbalanced to CD ANALOG AUDIO IN and D-100 (DAC for Sonos and Mac Mini) balanced to AUX1 BALANCED INPUT.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:02 PM

So with 2-channel sources connected to your MX121 and the subs connected to LFE output from the MX121 are the subs not outputting anything?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Correct.
Both subs work for HT (5.2) but not in 2ch (pure direct) mode on the MX121.

Uh-uh, is it something to do with "Pure Direct"? I thought that just eliminates the digital processing...
Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Greetings from NC

I think Pure Direct is the reason. I have a spare Denon 4308Ci that I used years ago and from what I recall using Pure Direct eliminated sub output.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 PM

Well I hope you're right... I will test it this afternoon and confirm it here.
Thank you for your valuable time and patience with a novice😉
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM

If McIntosh's implementation of Pure Direct is like other Pre/Pros and AVRs, then it is a 2-channel signal path and stays analog from input to output on Front Left/Right outputs only.

Therefore, no bass signal is sent out the LFE output.

I ran into the same issue with my home setup.

There should be a different setting that may be called something like Stereo/Straight.

That should give you sub outputs with 2-channel sources. However, I am pretty sure this involves an A/D conversion inside your pre/pro to synthesize the bass signal and then another D/A conversion to send signals out the Front L/R and LFE outputs.

Another option would be to use the Front L/R preouts, split them to send to your amp and then to the subs, but this would mean foregoing bass management to your fronts, if that is an issue for you, because you'd have to sent Fronts=Large.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
If McIntosh's implementation of Pure Direct is like other Pre/Pros and AVRs, then it is a 2-channel signal path and stays analog from input to output on Front Left/Right outputs only.

Therefore, no bass signal is sent out the LFE output.

I ran into the same issue with my home setup.

There should be a different setting that may be called something like Stereo/Straight.

That should give you sub outputs with 2-channel sources. However, I am pretty sure this involves an A/D conversion inside your pre/pro to synthesize the bass signal and then another D/A conversion to send signals out the Front L/R and LFE outputs.

Another option would be to use the Front L/R preouts, split them to send to your amp and then to the subs, but this would mean foregoing bass management to your fronts, if that is an issue for you, because you'd have to sent Fronts=Large.
Hello Erik. Indeed, the the 121X has three settings for 2ch (STEREO)music: DIRECT, PURE DIRECT, and AUTO. It is not possible to use one's sub(s) under these settings... just L/R mains.

About the last option you offer (splitting the Front L/R pre outs)... I use the balanced outs to the amps, and my subs do not have balanced inputs, just unbalanced. Is it possible to use the unbalanced pre outs to the subs simultaneously (while the balanced pre outs are sent to the amps)?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
Hello Erik. Indeed, the the 121X has three settings for 2ch (STEREO)music: DIRECT, PURE DIRECT, and AUTO. It is not possible to use one's sub(s) under these settings... just L/R mains.

About the last option you offer (splitting the Front L/R pre outs)... I use the balanced outs to the amps, and my subs do not have balanced inputs, just unbalanced. Is it possible to use the unbalanced pre outs to the subs simultaneously (while the balanced pre outs are sent to the amps)?

Thanks!
Nothing definite - check the McIntosh manual to see if both output types are active and can be used at the same time.

I do know that for some AVRs it is NOT recommended to use the RCA pre-outs and speaker terminal outputs at the same time.

More options to consider:
1) Abandon the balanced outputs to your amp and instead use the RCA outputs with splitters to your amp and subs and set the MX121 to Fronts=Large

2) Abandon the balanced outputs to your amp and run RCA outputs with splitters to your amp as well as the LFE output you have now. Have two saved memory configs on the MX121 where you use Bass Management Fronts=Small and the LFE output to the subs as you do now. But also have a second setting where Fronts=Large. You then have to manual swap connections to the sub when you want to have bass management for movies (LFE output) or 2-channel (Front pre-outs).

3) Build a hybrid HT/2-channel rig by purchasing a preamp with HT bypass.

{edit} Are you sure that the Stereo settings does not offer a sub output? My Yamaha AVR allows the sub to operate in Stereo mode with 2-channel inputs.

Last edited by Erik Tracy; 05-06-2015 at 07:05 PM.