AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
A $50 drill bit. The fleecing of audiophiles knows no limits.
Yes, thank you for your contribution.

Another shining example of why AA is "The Friendly Forum for High-End Audio."
Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 AM

Dean,
Thanks for sharing the Clearaudio bit with us. A tool that I certainly need and will not hesitate to pay a fair price for - which I htink $50 is fair considering the monies I have tied up in my audio hardware and software.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Dean,
Thanks for sharing the Clearaudio bit with us. A tool that I certainly need and will not hesitate to pay a fair price for - which I htink $50 is fair considering the monies I have tied up in my audio hardware and software.
Thanks. I thought so too. Apparently, others think it's foolish, so I'm going to abandon this thread.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 03-24-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
Yes, thank you for your contribution.

Another shining example of why AA is "The Friendly Forum for High-End Audio."
Dean.......Speaking of "The Friendly Forum for High-End Audio" and shining examples, your post is far less friendly than Maks. I wish I could say thank you for your contribution. Not everyone will always embrace what you consider valuable or important. An opposing opinion is not a personal attack. It is simply the nature of forum discussions.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Learning to Listen

Both have good points. It can be overly expensive, but there are times when that expense is justified.

It's like aviation. I once needed an odd drill bit for just one hole. I didn't flinch when I paid what I thought was an exorbitant amount of $35, because it was aviation. When I complained at an EAA meeting, someone pointed out to me that the cost of having that odd drill bit manufactured in small lots, shipped, stored, etc, they probably were losing money, and besides, I pay almost that much just to open my hangar door.

One thing nice about that tool is that it got an important job done, and I can loan it out so others don't have to buy one. One thing nice about Dean's purchase is that it will get an important job done, one that will gain him satisfaction every time he uses it, and maybe a fellow audiophile can borrow it every so often.

Thanks for the thread, Dean.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
Both have good points. It can be overly expensive, but there are times when that expense is justified.

It's like aviation. I once needed an odd drill bit for just one hole. I didn't flinch when I paid what I thought was an exorbitant amount of $35, because it was aviation. When I complained at an EAA meeting, someone pointed out to me that the cost of having that odd drill bit manufactured in small lots, shipped, stored, etc, they probably were losing money, and besides, I pay almost that much just to open my hangar door.

One thing nice about that tool is that it got an important job done, and I can loan it out so others don't have to buy one. One thing nice about Dean's purchase is that it will get an important job done, one that will gain him satisfaction every time he uses it, and maybe a fellow audiophile can borrow it every so often.

Thanks for the thread, Dean.
John.......I agree with your comments on specialty tools. The perceived value is in direct relationship to the task it is needed to perform. It is interesting that Clearaudio recognized a problem and developed a specialty tool to solve the issue. It is equally interesting to know a size L drill bit for $6.00 can perform the same task for those who believe $50.00 for the Clearaudio tool is exorbitant. It is good to know there are alternatives available.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......I agree with your comments on specialty tools. The perceived value is in direct relationship to the task it is needed to perform. It is interesting that Clearaudio recognized a problem and developed a specialty tool to solve the issue. It is equally interesting to know a size L drill bit for $6.00 can perform the same task for those who believe $50.00 for the Clearaudio tool is exorbitant. It is good to know there are alternatives available.
Yep. And sometimes in direct relationship to the satisfaction it brings.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Dean, I like it; where can I get one?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 PM

In reading this thread, I cannot help but think that everyone has their own value proposition. For some this is an expensive, but necessary tool, and others it seams to be a waste of money. The differences in opinion are very interesting. I, personally, have never had a problem using a pocket knife to make an LP' hole larger and I think I have only had to do this less than half a dozen times for the 4,000+ LP's I own. While I think it would be useful, I cannot justify the expense based on the actual usage I think it will see.

Cheers,

Gregory
Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofsound33-3 View Post
In reading this thread, I cannot help but think that everyone has their own value proposition. For some this is an expensive, but necessary tool, and others it seams to be a waste of money. The differences in opinion are very interesting. I, personally, have never had a problem using a pocket knife to make an LP' hole larger and I think I have only had to do this less than half a dozen times for the 4,000+ LP's I own. While I think it would be useful, I cannot justify the expense based on the actual usage I think it will see.
Gregory.......That has pretty much been my experience with LPs over 45 years. I have had to ream less than six that I can recall. The Clearaudio drill bit tool is useful and a good idea. I think there would be a great deal more enthusiasm for it at half the price.

Last edited by jdandy; 03-25-2014 at 04:50 PM.