AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Default REL Question

I have been using a REL R528 with B&W 805 Diamonds and have had a tough time really getting the sub to fully disappear. I just bought a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M's and am hoping I can blend the sub better with them. My purpose of this post is to get your thoughts on if the R528 is just too much sub for my relatively small room (11'x15') and if I would have better luck selling/trading my R528 for a pair of smaller REL's? Please share any thoughts or advice you may have.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 PM

I personally think it is. The 528 is their 12" sub with a 16" equivalent output. I would be more tempted to try an 8" or 10" sub.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 PM

I am surprised you are having trouble although I have not heard a 12 inch REL. I have a pair of B2s -- 10 inch subs --- in a room smaller than yours, along with a pair of 10 's in main speakers. The B2s are easy to feather in with the mains, whether it's the Sophia 3, Dynaudio C1, or Cremona Auditor in my room (13x 12 ft). Crossover low, even below the Auditor M low freq cutoff and start with gain low. If room allows, try many locations of the sub. I can't imagine a single 12 not working. Do you have bass traps or any room acoustics??? If not, keep your 12 and trap your corners. It could make a world of difference for you.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 03-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I am surprised you are having trouble although I have not heard a 12 inch REL. I have a pair of B2s -- 10 inch subs --- in a room smaller than yours, along with a pair of 10 's in main speakers. The B2s are easy to feather in with the mains, whether it's the Sophia 3, Dynaudio C1, or Cremona Auditor in my room (13x 12 ft). Crossover low, even below the Auditor M low freq cutoff and start with gain low. If room allows, try many locations of the sub. I can't imagine a single 12 not working. Do you have bass traps or any room acoustics??? If not, keep your 12 and trap your corners. It could make a world of difference for you.
I have strongly considered adding bass traps, but everyone I look at would take up an enormous portion of what I feel is a pretty small room already.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM

I have never listened to the T series subs from REL.
Would I be taking a large sound quality step down by going to two smaller T Series and selling my R528?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
I personally think it is. The 528 is their 12" sub with a 16" equivalent output. I would be more tempted to try an 8" or 10" sub.
Agreed. This is what my gut is telling me.
I listed the R528 for sale.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Mike

I've been experimenting with two relatively inexpensive Velodyne subs and have had much better luck with integration with my Spendors than one REL T7.

If this worked, which it has, I plan to go with two REL T5's. Based on my experience so far it will still take some placement experimentation with any sub, even with the better REL's.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Accuphase E-800, Canton Ref K3’s, Dual REL T-5 Subwoofers, Musical Fidelity M6i, Shunyata Venom-HC, Tara Labs RSC Prime M1 XLR pair, Musical Fidelity M1DAC, Shunyata Everest, Omega XC, Black Cat Silverstar 75ohm digital IC, M1-CDT Transport, Shunyata Altaira, Sonos Connect and Bridge, Shunyata Sigma’s.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
I have strongly considered adding bass traps, but everyone I look at would take up an enormous portion of what I feel is a pretty small room already.
Have you looked at the GIK Tri-Traps? I had a similar problem with space, but because they are a triangle, I can squeeze them into the corners of my listening room. You can't beat the price either.

Incase you are interested: GIK Tri-Traps
Old 03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Racing Hoopties

Have you measured your room and know what frequencies you to get in control? I a scientist when it come to the low end and believe knowledge is power.

Try REW. Worth the effort.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-21-2014, 12:33 AM

I agree with crwilli. Without measuring the room response with the sub in various locations and phase you're just guessing..... Location first, then phase.