AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 AM

Jim...I am glad the SP14 worked out for you. I am curiuos about the updates you had done on it at ARC...what specifically did you get updated> Thx
Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Well, the holidays officially end today, and the Magnapan MGIIIa's are back in play. The Yamaha NS690's are a fine monitor type speaker, but to expect them to keep up with the Tri-amped MGIIIa's is a real stretch. It was amazing to me the amount and quality of the warmth and bass available from the SP14 compared to the Acurus RL11 and L10 it replaced. The music has a lot more body and the sound stage is more focused and defined front to back. The SP14 was updated before I purchased it, and the updated power cord installed is the thickness of my ring finger with a very high quality plug. I plan on listening more this evening, and update with more thoughts after a bit more time with the SP14.
Happy New Year,
Jim
Old 01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Default ARC SP14 a winner

After a lot of listening, the improvement in my main rig is very impressive. The phono stage is very solid, and the synergy with my system is over the top. The sound stage is very defined, and the whole presentation is very warm and rich sounding. The increase in weight and body to the presentation is astounding to me. The Acurus L10 and RL11 pre-amps which were designed my the engineer who left to go to Krell were clean and very neutral, but did not have the inner detail and organic body this preamp exhibits through my tri-amped MGIIIa's which tend to show every weakness along the chain.
Very impressed,
Jim
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Yes, a more expensive upgrade path is now in your future as I know you don't sit still when there is an item to try.

Glad this is back in the main rig providing the performance you had hoped for.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:23 PM

would someone mind describing the sound or the differences/benefits between a hybrid design like the sp-14 and an all tube preamp. I've never heard a hybrid and was looking at the sp-14 before I went with a different pre.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I'm afraid I have had only limited experience with Tube Preamps/ Headphone amps. I cannot speak to that, however since the SP14 is a hybrid in that it is SS with a tube phono stage, That I can address. My previous rig was an Acurus RL11/ Belari VP129 Phono Preamp which I replaced with a DB Systems DB8. None of the setups match the output from my Vinyl source like the SP14 in terms of warmth, richness, bottom end or imaging. I will one day try a pure tube preamp, but the performance of the SP14 has put that off for the unforeseeable future.
Regards,
Jim
Old 02-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
I'm afraid I have had only limited experience with Tube Preamps/ Headphone amps. I cannot speak to that, however since the SP14 is a hybrid in that it is SS with a tube phono stage, That I can address. My previous rig was an Acurus RL11/ Belari VP129 Phono Preamp which I replaced with a DB Systems DB8. None of the setups match the output from my Vinyl source like the SP14 in terms of warmth, richness, bottom end or imaging. I will one day try a pure tube preamp, but the performance of the SP14 has put that off for the unforeseeable future.
Regards,
Jim
Thanks for the info. So I guess that means the sonic benefit of the sp14 lies in the tube phono stage, and which does not have any impact on the linestage. This is good to know if and when I decide to try a tube pre. I will have to go for an all tube pre to be able to compare any sonic differences in my setup. Thanks again.