Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Against the Tide

Default McIntosh MC601 press release

http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/m...d=257857&vid=1

MCINTOSH DEBUTS LEADING-EDGE MC601 MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIER AT CES 2011:
LEGENDARY AUDIO PERFORMANCE FOR THE DIGITAL AGE
-- Sheer McIntosh Elegance, Unmatched Efficiency and Reliability, New 600-Watt Powerhouse Boasts Engineering Advances
Combined with Extended Functionality --
LAS VEGAS, NV, January 6, 2011 -- McIntosh Laboratory, a global leader in home entertainment and
ultimate-quality audio for over 60 years, is proud to announce the debut of a new amplifier that brings
legendary McIntosh® performance capabilities and style together with a host of leading-edge features and
extended functionality for today’s digital age. The new MC601 Monoblock Amplifier, which replaces
McIntosh’s hugely popular MC501 amplifier, will ship in January of 2011. It joins the company’s new Models
MC302 and MC452 in the McIntosh amplifier lineup, all with new engineering advances and extended
functionality.
Distinguished by its rock-solid, new larger sized chassis of mirror polished stainless steel, the MC601 features the
premium cosmetic design that has always distinguished McIntosh components, including a backlit glass
faceplate. The newly designed 8-inch wide True Wattmeter, featuring elegant “McIntosh Blue” LED lighting, is
a special larger size last used by McIntosh on its acclaimed MC1000 amplifier. The MC601’s custom machined
and anodized aluminum trim handles complete the iconic McIntosh look and styling. Among its many leadingedge
feature capabilities is Power Guard, a McIntosh circuit innovation that maximizes sound quality at high
power levels. Additionally, the unit’s advanced “Sentry Monitor” feature provides continuous short circuit
protection of the amplifier and connected loudspeakers.
In addition to its higher power rating of 600 watts, the MC601 features Thermal Track output transistors that
allow for cooler, more efficient operation. Other new features that add to the MC601’s performance capabilities
and make it ideally suited for use in today’s digital universe are specially designed McIntosh speaker binding
posts, Quad Balanced circuit design for highest audio performance, and input and output jacks that allow bi or
tri-amping with multiple MC601s. Notably, the MC601’s extraordinary, distortion-canceling, quad-differential
design consists of two complete amplifier circuits, whose outputs are combined in the unique McIntosh-crafted
autoformers. Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005% maximum from 250 milliwatts to rated 600 watt mono power
output. MC601 delivers absolute transparency and musical accuracy into speaker loads of 2, 4, or 8-Ohms.
McIntosh President Charlie Randall noted: “To create the MC601 amplifier, McIntosh engineers and designers
scrutinized every aspect of what has made us the world’s most coveted audio manufacturer for the last 60 years
– both in terms of great looks and legendary sound. The result is an amplifier of unique elegance, craftsmanship
and style that delivers classic McIntosh performance, with all the power and ‘audio heft’ to earn it a rightful
place in the McIntosh pantheon, while providing today’s most discerning consumers with all the features and
functionality to ensure it will deliver the very best in music reproduction excellence for many years to come.”
# # #
About McIntosh Laboratory
Since 1949, McIntosh Laboratory’s unwavering commitment to excellence, innovation and quality continues to
define the state-of-the-art in high fidelity and provide discriminating consumers around the world an elevated
home entertainment experience. McIntosh high-performance audio and video products are handcrafted at the
company’s Binghamton, New York headquarters. Its products reflect unmatched levels of performance,
superlative engineering and hand craftsmanship. Built to last for decades, McIntosh components demand nothing
less than an equal level of commitment to customer support and service. McIntosh Laboratory, Inc. is a D&M
Holdings company. For more information visit McIntosh | Home. McIntosh is a registered trademark of
McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.
DISCLAIMER
Statements in this news release that are not statements of historical fact include forward looking statements regarding future events or
the future financial performance of the company. We wish to caution you that such statements are just predictions and that actual
events or results may differ materially. Forward looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties surrounding competitive
and industry conditions, market acceptance for the company's products, risks of litigation, technological changes, developing industry
standards and other factors related to the company's businesses. The Company reserves all of its rights.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Are the MC601's being demoed or are they on passive display? If being played, any early opinions?

Mike
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

No mention of MSRP?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM

A lot of PR 'word smithing' but not much detail on actual engineering design and performance ability.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM

I'm hearing 13K for the pair.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
I'm hearing 13K for the pair.
That's what I read. I've had my 501s for a little over 3 months and wouldn't even think about it. Besides, I don't have the need or money for that much power.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM

601's are stunning, they have handles and are much bigger than the 501's with massive heat sinks. Didn't get the official size but they look as big as a pair of 1.2KW's with smaller meters of course. My invoice came yesterday so they could be on the way this week, MSRP is 6000.00 each amp.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 PM

Nice to see that McIntosh is upgrading their web - it sure needs it. However, I would appreciate some advise from anyone regarding the illumination setting on my just hatched C48 pre-amp...........

When I change the default brightness on my new C48 pre-amp (first day of use)I am experiencing problems.

After I set the brightness, let's say to "1" it stays at "1" until I power off. However, when I turn the C48 back on it does not retain the display change. In addition, and this is weird - when I go back to change the setting again it still reads "1" when the display is now back at the brighter default setting. I believe I have followed the instruction manual to the letter to insure it is not an error on my part.

This issue does not occur with my MR88 receiver display settings and is frustrating as it results two different display settings unless I correct the C48 setting each time I power up.
?
Am I missing something (other than the big blue meters on the C50)?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Was the MC601 on passive display or was it being demoed? Haven't seen anyone comment.

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Was the MC601 on passive display or was it being demoed? Haven't seen anyone comment.

Mike
It was playing and sounded like classic Mac, which is good.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES