Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
shane,
are you liking solid-state?
or are you gonna back to valves?

james
Good question. Pass ss is v good. Tubes have not gone anywhere.

Still working through what is best for my room and tastes.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 PM

Ok time for my comments on the Pass XP-20 preamp used with the following equipment
McIntosh MC601 amplifiers (pair), Benchmark DAC, OPPO 95 DVD, and Magnepan 1.7 speakers. Analysis plus speaker cables, Kimber Hero IC to MC601, Burley wire IC from OPPO to pre, home built interconnect Benchmark to pre, all balanced cables. Previous pre amp McIntosh C220 with GL tubes. So when it comes to comparisons it will be with respect to the Mac C220, which is a little unfair $4k vs $8k. First the XP has better extension from low end to high, but does not sound light weight in the midrange and has improved soundstage and depth. The main difference between the Pass and the Mac is the Pass has a lot more detail without being harsh which is important to my advanced age ears (dialog on movies are clearer). The XP-20 and the MC601 is good match for the Magnepan 1.7 which can be a little aggressive in what I would call mid to upper mid range (700hz to 3khz) the overall sound I would call organic if that makes sense. Now having said all this, the Mac C220 has the ability to make you do a double take say on acoustic guitar or cello. All in all I am very pleased with the Pass and highly recommend it, a very good match for my system.
Now I wonder what the McIntosh C2300 would sound like, or Wireworld cables ? Does this madness ever end.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM

So Jim,

Is the XP-20 staying? Were you trying it to get a feel for it? I see it's not in your sig. You need to give the XP-20 a good week or two of running in to break it in. Thank you for the update.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Ok time for my comments on the Pass XP-20 preamp used with the following equipment
McIntosh MC601 amplifiers (pair), Benchmark DAC, OPPO 95 DVD, and Magnepan 1.7 speakers. Analysis plus speaker cables, Kimber Hero IC to MC601, Burley wire IC from OPPO to pre, home built interconnect Benchmark to pre, all balanced cables. Previous pre amp McIntosh C220 with GL tubes. So when it comes to comparisons it will be with respect to the Mac C220, which is a little unfair $4k vs $8k. First the XP has better extension from low end to high, but does not sound light weight in the midrange and has improved soundstage and depth. The main difference between the Pass and the Mac is the Pass has a lot more detail without being harsh which is important to my advanced age ears (dialog on movies are clearer). The XP-20 and the MC601 is good match for the Magnepan 1.7 which can be a little aggressive in what I would call mid to upper mid range (700hz to 3khz) the overall sound I would call organic if that makes sense. Now having said all this, the Mac C220 has the ability to make you do a double take say on acoustic guitar or cello. All in all I am very pleased with the Pass and highly recommend it, a very good match for my system.
Now I wonder what the McIntosh C2300 would sound like, or Wireworld cables ? Does this madness ever end.
Glad you're liking the Pass Jim! Are you using the stock Power Cords? Nice setup you have there!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM

Yes the Pass is staying, using stock power cables.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I've had great luck with the Wireworld cables on my new Pass amps - for what it's worth.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM

C2300 and pass amp is a good combo also.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Just recieved 1.5m Wire World silver eclipse purchased from Ivan the xlr connectors are of very good quailty and the wire itself is heaver than I would have expected (weight wise) very nicely finished. I really like the way they are marked, one cable connector has red logo while the other one has a blue logo, makes it nice for right/left Id when your head is buried in the cabinet. will replace the Kimber hero from Pass XP20 to
Mc601's first to break in and get a sonic signature. Then will try on Benchmark to xp20.
Will post results later. Any suggestions as to which connection will give biggest bang for the buck, i.e. pre to amp or dac to pre.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 PM

I think most will say that the biggest bang will be between source and pre-amp. Great to see another XP-20 owner on the forum