AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 05-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Default Mcintosh to Pass Lab

Has anyone experienced going from Mcintosh amps to Pass Lab amps? What were the differences in sound quality, sound stage and detail. Think of making a change.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 AM
Lucky # 5

Jerry

not sure how large (power output) a Pass amp you are contemplating...but here is my very recent experience.

purchased a used Pass INT-30A (integrated) to get my first ever taste of class A power without investing to much cash. The Pass integrated (once warmed up) provided much more detail better midrange plus a wider soundstage with both my Elipsa's and Tannoy's (vs) my previous McIntosh C50/C2300 to MC 1.2kw's to Elipsa's or Tannoy's set-up. The Pass integrated is impressive (class A power is remarkable) made both my Elipsa's and Tannoy's come alive, however, the low-end provided by the Pass integrated was somewhat lacking (not surprisingly), as this confirmed exactly what I read about the Pass integrated, since it only outputs 30/60watts class A.

Then tried the INT-30A preamp outs into my McIntosh MC 1.2kw's and "WOW" now that's the sound I've been chasing for quite some time, really happy with what I was hearing, the MC 1.2kw's provided better low-end without compromising the new found details, midrange and bigger soundstage provided by the preamp section of the Pass integrated. I now listen to my system much more with the Pass + McIntosh combination vs my full McIntosh set-up.

I'm now thinking how do I get more of that beautiful sound (sounds familiar ?) The preamp section of the INT-30A is = to the Pass XP-10, so I plan to trade the Pass INT-30A towards a Pass Labs XP-20 to feed my McIntosh 1.2kw's. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere regarding the Pass XP-20 that unit should give me the "little bit more" I'm in search of.

I did also think about getting a more powerful Pass class A amp, but along with those come the additional heat/power consumption, that I do not want -- ya gotta love those cool-running MC 1.2kw's (right Jerry )

BTW........the Pass INT-30A (discontinued and replaced by the INT-60) is a great unit I could easily live with - and the heat output is minimal.

Interesting thing is I originally purchased the Pass INT-30A with the hopes of downsizing my system to a one box solution - oh well, I guess I'm still in the game.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 PM

Hi, i have had MA7000, MC302 , MC452+C2300 (3 years) with Gold Lion and now Int 30A Pass.

Pass have more detail, + refined sound + realistic sound with little warm sound.

Im waiting Int 60.

Pass need min 30`min. for warmup.

This 30 watts in Class A looks like 200w of MC

Last edited by mati1979; 05-07-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Lucky # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati1979 View Post
This 30 watts in Class A looks like 200w of MC
mati,

I agree, what speakers do you have ?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Hi, Wilson Sophia 2. (4 ohms)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:22 AM

Had c2300 mc452 now pas xa30.8 and just put deposit on xp10 pre faster more accurate better lower listing volume
It's a class A thing I think
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1 View Post
Had c2300 mc452 now pas xa30.8 and just put deposit on xp10 pre faster more accurate better lower listing volume It's a class A thing I think
Hope the pre is good I just keep thinking about the xp20 hope I made right decision
Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 AM
Lucky # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati1979 View Post
Hi, Wilson Sophia 2. (4 ohms)
very nice
Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 PM

Hello
Just came across this thread. Very interesting subject. Already for quite some time I'm also considering changing my set up to something 'I could retire with' stepping finally into Class'A' territory at the same time. At first I thought of Accuphase, but budget and especially the outrageous pricing and service policy of the company in Europe is not very appealing. In search for alternatives, Pass came up and from what I could find on the Internet, could well be the match I am looking for. Amp wise I prefer staying with monos, ideally either a XA60.8 or XA100.8 (bigger - no budget, lousy waf) but not sure whether the XP100.8 brings much more in sound quality.
For better synergies I think replacing my C500/P with a XP 10 or 20 as well when changing amps.
In order to be able to listen to a Pass combo I need to travel relatively far, so beforehand I have some questions. If anybody has already some experience or thoughts I would be very grateful for sharing:
- Comparing a C500P (SS) vs a Pass XP 10 or 20, would this be an upgrade sound wise?
- How do the Pass phono stages compare to the built-in phono stages of the C500P?
- I have always the feeling that the C500/MC 501 combo comes to life at higher volumes only and therefore some tone controls (as on my old C48)/loudness button would have been helpful. The Pass preamps don't have a loudness button either. So, how are the Pass amps at low level? As said before my preferred amps would be a 60.8 or 100.8.
- Any experience with the reliability of Pass gear? As they should always stay on, is there a need of service after some time, especially if I buy a second hand preamp?

Btw, the amps should drive a pair of SF Amati Futuras, which shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks a lot for your insights.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumac View Post
Hello Just came across this thread. Very interesting subject. Already for quite some time I'm also considering changing my set up to something 'I could retire with' stepping finally into Class'A' territory at the same time. At first I thought of Accuphase, but budget and especially the outrageous pricing and service policy of the company in Europe is not very appealing. In search for alternatives, Pass came up and from what I could find on the Internet, could well be the match I am looking for. Amp wise I prefer staying with monos, ideally either a XA60.8 or XA100.8 (bigger - no budget, lousy waf) but not sure whether the XP100.8 brings much more in sound quality. For better synergies I think replacing my C500/P with a XP 10 or 20 as well when changing amps. In order to be able to listen to a Pass combo I need to travel relatively far, so beforehand I have some questions. If anybody has already some experience or thoughts I would be very grateful for sharing: - Comparing a C500P (SS) vs a Pass XP 10 or 20, would this be an upgrade sound wise? - How do the Pass phono stages compare to the built-in phono stages of the C500P? - I have always the feeling that the C500/MC 501 combo comes to life at higher volumes only and therefore some tone controls (as on my old C48)/loudness button would have been helpful. The Pass preamps don't have a loudness button either. So, how are the Pass amps at low level? As said before my preferred amps would be a 60.8 or 100.8. - Any experience with the reliability of Pass gear? As they should always stay on, is there a need of service after some time, especially if I buy a second hand preamp? Btw, the amps should drive a pair of SF Amati Futuras, which shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot for your insights.
Low listening is something very well done by pass class a bottom end is still there great tone.