AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-15-2023, 09:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Shunyata Gemini: Combination power distributor & Altaiara

I recently bought the new Shunyata Gemini combination power distributor/"Altaira-type" CG ground-plane noise reduction hub for my remote music server room.

The back-story:
I've been using a Shunyata PS10 power distributor in the remote server room for the last year or so, and found that using it for powering the Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router and the power supply for the Sonore OpticalModule (the "upstream" FMC) provided a notable improvement in audio quality.

So...when Gemini, which combines power distributor functionality AND Altaira-type CG ground-plane noise reduction capability into a single unit came on the market a month or so ago, I bought one with the thought that the remote server component system might be a perfect application for Gemini, being able to take advantage of quality power distribution AND ground-plane noise reduction of the streaming source devices.

Back when I was using my LampiZator Baltic 3 DAC and complex SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo network bridge "set-up" in combination with EtherREGEN in the main rack, I noted a significant improvement in audio quality simply by connecting ER's ground terminal to Altaira, as shown here.

However, when I bought the Lumin P1 and moved EtehrREGEN into the remote server room in place of the Sonore OpticalModule, I no longer had an Altaira to connect to ER's ground terminal because the Altairas were still located in the main rack. What to do?

Enter Gemini.
From the product description:
A two-in-one power conditioner and ground-plane noise reduction hub, the Shunyata Gemini Model-4 is ideal for small high-end systems, headphone setups, and network closets.

Capable of powering 200-watt amplifiers in spite of measuring just 4.77 x 12.25 x 5.88 inches, this mighty mini leverages Shunyata’s proven NIC noise isolation chamber technology to provide a common grounding point for the components to which it’s connected — as well as beneficial noise suppression rated at 24dB from input-to-output.

Here's some pics...

The rear panel has 4 component/device outlets and four Altaira-type ground-plane noise reduction terminals and uses a standard C15 power cord.

When I saw Gemini, it occured to me it might be the perfect solution for the devices in the remote server room. So...I bought one.

I ran it in for 5 days after getting it as the main rack's power distributor, and it's an absolutely terrific-sounding power distributor. I'll add that the original Shunyata Triton V1 from back in the day provided approx. -24 dB of noise reduction, and the little Gemini is right in line with that.

AND, it has a four-terminal Altaira-type ground plane noise reduction system built-in.

After running it in for 5 days or so, I moved it into the remote server room and connected my network music server devices: the Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router, and the AfterDark power supply that powers both the AfterDark Master Clock and EtherREGEN.

You can also see an Alpha CGC ground cable that connects EtherREGEN's ground terminal to Gemini at lower right.

Here's the set-up of the music server devices in the spare room resting on an IKEA Lack table....the Alpha CGC runs down to Gemini. The EtherREGEN connects via a run of LC/LC optical fiber out of ER's A side to the Lumin P1 in the main rack. I've found I get best noise-reduction by connecting the Pace router's Ethernet cable to ER's B-side, and ER's "moat" prevents noise from the dirty Pace router from getting through to ER's A-side, the side where the optical runs out of.

And...it sounds GREAT!

The networked streaming devices, Mac Mini Roon Core, Pace router, and the AfterDark master clock are getting clean, quiet, and quality power distribution, and ER has ground-plane noise reduction. Implementing this set-up provided a notable reduction in AC noise, ground-plane noise, improved clarity, "open-ness", and a much quieter, more natural and engaging presentation. My next steps will be to get a USB-A and RJ45 ground-cable "tail" and connect ground cables with those tails to an unused USB port on the Mac Mini and an unused RJ45 jack on the Pace router over to Gemini "Altaira" terminals. This should provide additional levels of ground-plane noise reduction. Once I get those in, I'll provide an update.

In conclusion, if you're using a "network closet" or "remote server room", where your router, music server, hard drives, master clock and Ethernet switch and attendant power supplies are remotely located away from the main audio rack (which provideds obvious advantages), Gemini might be well-worth considering. Sure worked very well for my set-up. Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-15-2023 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 01:52 PM

After reading about the new Gemini it seemed to be the perfect solution for my “network closet”. My router, and Add-powr Symphony I/O are in an adjacent room to that containing my system and were powered from wall outlets. My Ethernet switch is in the main system’s room but not powered from my Denali. It is grounded to my SG hub however. After realizing the incredible improvement brought by Altaira, I was very interested in grounding these last few potentially noisy components. I read Puma Cats initial post with great enthusiasm and exchanged a few messages about his experience. I’ll admit I was a bit wary of ‘overdoing it’ for this application and originally considered several used power distributors of various levels. Naturally I consulted Ivan who fielded several questions regarding the used models and the potential of the new Gemini. I’ll say it again; this forum, its members, and Ivan have all helped me advance both my understanding and enjoyment of my system more than all others combined. Needless to say, I decided to go for the Gemini and complete the grounding of my components.

Shunyata must be extraordinarily busy these days! It took a few weeks for the unit to arrive but it seemed longer due to my childlike anticipation, but that’s my issue! I opted for an Alpha cable and Ethernet tail to ground the router. Upon arrival last Tuesday, the Gemini went into service powering the router, I/O, and switch with grounding for the router. Puma Cat, Ivan, and others have alluded to the fact routers are very noisy devices and are not principally designed for audio. My experience within seconds of connecting the Gemini and Alpha cable confirmed this to a degree I was not expecting. Just when I thought I had done an admirable job of removing noise with the Altaira hubs, the Gemini brought me back to reality. Grounding your router is a VITAL step in lowering your system’s noise floor, or at least it was here! Another layer of transparency was revealed and the soundstage increased in size and focus….again! And this was right out of the box. The Gemini hadn’t yet been powered up for a half hour. Subtle improvements were noted as the week progressed with a few rough edges disappearing and being able to “see” even deeper into the soundstage. The focus has tightened up even more.

Thanks to Ivan (Again), I have isolated all my components on Stillpoints Ultra SS and Ultra Minis. It has been said that adding those component by component yields steady improvement until the last piece is isolated which brings a huge leap forward. That was my experience for sure and started my contemplation if the same would be true about grounding. At that point, everything was grounded to the Altairas or Gemini, save for the Symphony I/O. A quick check with a multimeter revealed zero readings for chassis screws and the bottom plate of the body of the device. I improvised another DIY ground cable similar to that currently in use on my Wizard, and linked up the I/O’s bottom plate to the corresponding ground lug under its Venom 14NR pc at the Gemini. Either the ‘last component’ corollary applies to grounding as well as Stillpoints, or somebody upgraded my entire system without my knowledge. I don’t want to sound like a used car salesman or snake oil dealer, but the effects of grounding your system’s components simply has to be experienced to be fully appreciated.

If you are even remotely contemplating a grounding scheme for your system, I enthusiastically encourage you to try it. Shunyata gives guidance and recommends one utilize their own star ground infrastructure which can be very inexpensive and very revealing about the possibilities. I began that way by just linking up a few pieces to the ground lug on my Denali. That gave a noticeable boost to my system but simply cannot compare to what I’m experiencing now. I do not pretend to be an expert, or frankly, even knowledgeable about this process and it’s applicability across the spectrum of components and brands available today, but I implore you to do some research and ask questions.

I have read reviews and comments everywhere in which the writer qualifies their opinions with the warning you may only appreciate what he or she is saying if your system is “resolving enough”. I always understood that to mean “expensive enough” to be “resolving enough”. That maybe the case ultimately, but my components haven’t changed in a decent amount of time. But their collective performance has become exponentially better as a result of isolation and grounding. Not cheap additions of course, but much less expensive than moving up the ladder in every component.

I posted a while back how the Altaira allowed me to hear a single voice in the crowd exclaim his profane, yet enthusiastic approval of the recently departed Randy Meisner after he sang Take-it to the Limit on Eagles Live. I invite any Qobuz users to lookup the song “To Rome” by Ted Poor on his album You already Know. It may be available elsewhere I’m not sure. Anyway, the song begins with Poor striking a single drum repeatedly. After introducing the Gemini and grounding everything in the system, I can hear Poor’s stool squeaking as he initiates the drum strike. They probably should have sprayed some WD40 on it but I’m glad they didn’t. The reduction in noise from the network gear reduced the noise floor to such a level that the squeak of a stool isn’t only perceptible, it’s palpable. I didn’t know it was there before this week. I heard about this album in a review I read. It’s very well recorded with that sense of “you are there” about it. After Gemini, I have to remin myself that I’m not!

Wow, I just read this and realized I’m quite long winded today. I’ll leave it at that, but as you can tell, I’m a huge proponent of grounding and am so glad I decided to give it a try way back when. Thanks again to everyone for their input across the forum and for the insights provided. I can now say from experience, the Gemini is a bargain! I have to get used to this new level of performance. What a pleasure that will be…
Old 07-29-2023, 06:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Clyde,
What a terrific story. Great to hear adding Gemini for your "network closet" worked out so well for you. It really brought a similar magnitude of mprovements to my system as well. You can obtain further improvements by adding a ground cable with an RJ45 tail to an unused port your Ethernet switch as well. The nice thing about EtherREGEN and the new Bonn NX Ethernet switch is they have dedicated ground terminals on them, so you can use a ground cable with a simple spade connector to make the best possible type of connection to Gemini/Altaira.

Here's a shot of my current configuration. You can see there are now 3 ground cables connecting to the ground terminals along the bottom of Gemini: EtherREGEN, Alita (the Akasa NUC Roon core), and my Pace router.

Here's a shot of the rear of the Bonn NX Ethernet swtich and it's dedicated ground terminal.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-29-2023 at 06:57 PM.