AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM

great write-up
good work on yours and McIntosh's part too...
it's nice when you understand why a solution works, not that it 'just works'...

Albert Einstein
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post
Dan: Each of my 1.2KW's is running from a separate PPP, each on a dedicated 20Amp circuit. The MEN220 is connected to the PPP for the Left Amp side. If I change to Unbalanced cables for both amps, do you think I would hear that tick, tick, tick on the right Amp but not the left????
Howard.......John (JFR0317) and I had a conversation about the MEN220, and he asked me if I had tried powering the MEN220 from the source Power Plant Premier after I installed it in the preamp Processor Loop. I told him I had not, so your question prodded me to pull my rack away from the wall and perform this test. I am surprised to discover that I have no buzz or tick, tick, tick noises when powering the MEN220 from the source PPP with the unbalanced interconnects connected to the C1000P Processor Loop. It is completely silent, even when I raised the volume to 75 on the preamp with no signal. I am now going to leave the MEN220 powered from the source PPP and its dedicated circuit. That is where I wanted it powered from to begin with. I like having the two MC501 amps on the other dedicated circuit and Power Plant Premier with no sources.

So, to answer your question, I would say that if you intend to operate the MEN220 in your preamp's Processor Loop then you will have no noise issues powering it from either PPP. I would suggest you experiment with any unbalanced interconnects you might have laying around the house to see how the MEN220 behaves with your system.

I have no explanation why the noise is not present with the MEN220 in the preamp Processor Loop, but I am happy to make this discovery.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-18-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM

Dan thanks for the update. I can imagine you being disappointed about not being able to have a fully balanced system after spending big bucks on the C1000, MCD500, Mc501's and good balanced cables. I know you are using it in tape loop but I say Shame on Mcintosh for trying to pull a fast one and indirectly making the consumer think they are buying a balanced piece of equipment by putting balanced connectors on the MEN220 when it is a lie.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Dan thanks for the update. I can imagine you being disappointed about not being able to have a fully balanced system after spending big bucks on the C1000, MCD500, Mc501's and good balanced cables. I know you are using it in tape loop but I say Shame on Mcintosh for trying to pull a fast one and indirectly making the consumer think they are buying a balanced piece of equipment by putting balanced connectors on the MEN220 when it is a lie.
Sorry David -- McIntosh does not state the MEN220 is balanced in any way, shape or form.

You have XLR connectors and balanced signal flow confused.

I agree w/you about it being a shame on McIntosh's part -- but, I believe the Lyngdorf RP-1 is also in the same boat. McIntosh just took what Lyngdorf gave them, modified it w/their help to a degree and assumed and or overlooked the XLR wiring part.

Look at how many folks went out and bought XLR's. That & the fact the XLR connectors are not wired to standards is what gets me & that it has an effect on certain amps. I remember specifically a McIntosh representative who visits here stating time and time again, McIntosh follows and conforms to the universal XLR wiring standard. Well, that's no longer the case, now is it.

I would like to see McIntosh do a recall and fix the problem -- you know darn well, the next MEN220 version will have the correct wiring scheme.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 08-17-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
David.......I am still able to operate my C1000P preamplifier in balanced mode with the MC501's.

I think your premise that McIntosh attempted to pull a fast one is a bit of a stretch. It would serve no rational purpose for McIntosh to intentionally misdirect consumers. The issue was bound to be uncovered by someone, so why would McIntosh knowingly attempt to deceive? I don't think they would. My feeling is this is a design flaw that somehow slipped through the cracks, and until I discovered the unbalanced heat issue on my 501's, and sought help, I'm not sure McIntosh was aware there was an issue. Even Ron-C was telling all of us that the MEN220 had balanced outputs in his early posts. I don't believe he was perpetrating a lie. I think he was advancing to us the information he had at the time.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM

Why are there XLR connectors on the MEN220?
jc
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Dan - I give you a lot of credit for your positive attitude throughout this whole process. I know this will not be a popular statement, but I for one was not impressed with the level of customer service McIntosh provided to you. If I followed the thread correctly, you sent the unit back at the end of July and did not receive a unit again until today. Given the current economic conditions, and the high end market in general, great customer service would have called for McIntosh to send you a replacement unit immediately upon receipt of your old unit. You have been a loyal customer for years and should be treated to the perks that you have earned.

To make you wait over 2 weeks, and then to provide you with an answer that causes you to use the product in a way that you did not originally intend to is not a great outcome. I know you love what this unit does for your music, and that you will make the best of it. I do not believe McIntosh was "trying to pull a fast one", but I would certainly hope their engineers fully understand all the workings of this unit. It leads me to question their quality assurance department and how much testing they do prior to releasing a new product. Your configuration was not unique and they certainly should have tested the product in a similar configuration and environment.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Dan has had the unit for approx 2 weeks and did not post his analysis until today for reasons confidential (enough said -- don't ask).

Once his unit was in NY, it received platinum RMA status upon receipt and infact I believe it was next day air shipped back to him.

McIntosh was very interested in this unit and they excelled in ensuring a swift return; which they did with flying colors.

Thought this needed answering before assumptions were exagerated & interneterized (new word).

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 08-18-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiham View Post
Dan - I give you a lot of credit for your positive attitude throughout this whole process. I know this will not be a popular statement, but I for one was not impressed with the level of customer service McIntosh provided to you. If I followed the thread correctly, you sent the unit back at the end of July and did not receive a unit again until today. Given the current economic conditions, and the high end market in general, great customer service would have called for McIntosh to send you a replacement unit immediately upon receipt of your old unit. You have been a loyal customer for years and should be treated to the perks that you have earned.

To make you wait over 2 weeks, and then to provide you with an answer that causes you to use the product in a way that you did not originally intend to is not a great outcome. I know you love what this unit does for your music, and that you will make the best of it. I do not believe McIntosh was "trying to pull a fast one", but I would certainly hope their engineers fully understand all the workings of this unit. It leads me to question their quality assurance department and how much testing they do prior to releasing a new product. Your configuration was not unique and they certainly should have tested the product in a similar configuration and environment.
Steve.......McIntosh customer service bent over backward to help me, and returned my MEN220 as quickly as possible. I was a little slow in shipping, but my MEN220 arrived in Binghamton on Wednesday, August 4, 2010. The service department was waiting for its arrival, and took the MEN220 straight to engineering. They spent Wednesday afternoon running tests, and by Thursday morning had determined the MEN220 was in good working order, with no defects. The service department went out on a limb for me, bit the bullet so to speak, and shipped the MEN220 back to me overnight. I had it back in my sound system on the afternoon of Friday August 6, 2010. It doesn't get much better than that. This pleased me to no end, since Jérôme visited on Sunday August 8th, and we were able to audition the MEN220 together.

I intentionally delayed my MEN220 update post until I was completely satisfied with it's performance, and had ample time to write my post. In fact, I rewrote my post several times to ensure I presented the situation in a manner that did not come across as adversarial. I was remiss in explaining the service time line. McIntosh stepped up for me, and I could not be happier with the way everyone at McIntosh responded to my MEN220 issue.

Last edited by jdandy; 08-18-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
Why are there XLR connectors on the MEN220?
jc
JC......Yours is the question of the day.

Last edited by jdandy; 08-18-2010 at 09:10 PM.