AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM

The Wilsons actually looked better in person than I had expected, especially the Sasha.

Mr. McGrath said any Wilson loudspeaker bought from an authorized dealer will be set up and optimized according to the Wilson standard. I like that. I wish my Guarneri Momento came with the same service.

Mr. McGrath also said Wilson loudspeakers are not picky at all. Any amplifier that's built in the past 30 years and has more than 10-15 watt will be able to drive them fine. In fact, he said David Wilson uses Parasound in his house and it sounded fabulous.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Tommy,
Sweet pics - must've been fun there with all those toys!
Yes, I enjoy going to these events. Awesome people and awesome gears
Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Nice!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm not a current Wilson owner, but the Sophia3's really have my attention. Speaker placement of course is crucial to getting the best sound, and I've only ever seen Wilson's demo'd close to a front wall. When my dealer set up my Avalons, he used the "Sumiko" setup method and we ended up with the speakers about 1/3 into the room (from front wall), with me sitting about 1/3 into the room from the rear wall. (Makes sense to me considering how much of music is about 3rds and 5ths.) I don't know anything about the Wilson method, so I'm curious if anyone has Wilson speakers out into the room vs. near the front wall (I'll leave the question of sidewall out for now.) I have a room shaped like a very, very bold "L" and via the Sumiko method the setup is less than perfectly symetrical but soundstaging and imaging works perfectly given the odd shape of the room. Can anyone (with experience with both) compare and contrast the Sumiko setup method vs. the Wilson method?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
I'm not a current Wilson owner, but the Sophia3's really have my attention. Speaker placement of course is crucial to getting the best sound, and I've only ever seen Wilson's demo'd close to a front wall. When my dealer set up my Avalons, he used the "Sumiko" setup method and we ended up with the speakers about 1/3 into the room (from front wall), with me sitting about 1/3 into the room from the rear wall. (Makes sense to me considering how much of music is about 3rds and 5ths.) I don't know anything about the Wilson method, so I'm curious if anyone has Wilson speakers out into the room vs. near the front wall (I'll leave the question of sidewall out for now.) I have a room shaped like a very, very bold "L" and via the Sumiko method the setup is less than perfectly symetrical but soundstaging and imaging works perfectly given the odd shape of the room. Can anyone (with experience with both) compare and contrast the Sumiko setup method vs. the Wilson method?
I do not have experience with the Sumiko setup, but I can tell you that my W/P 6's are about 40" off the back wall with a distance of about 9 ft from the drivers to my ear and this is in a room where it is only 13' from wall to wall. Hope this helps.

-Debby
Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Hi Debby, thanks for your post, but without some experience with the Sumiko setup protocol you've not given me much additional info. However, if you have a 13' between walls and the back of your W/P 6 is ~40" from the front wall, that probably puts the front of the speaker about 56" out into the room, just over 1/3. I've found speakers tend to couple to the room best when about 1/5 the way into the room, or 1/3 the way into the room. Fine tweaking of course is necessary to get things just right, but I was surprised when, via the Sumiko protocol, my left speaker ended up very close to the 1/3 placement I had used initially. The right speaker actually sits a wee bit farther from the listening position, and closer to the sidewall compared to the left, but that accounts for the odd shape of the room. I guess I'm mostly curious how the Wilson protocol accounts for odd shaped rooms?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I have experience with 4 Sonus Faber and 3 Wilson pairs of speakers.

You'll find that Sumiko's setup works very well for Sonus Faber speakers which are in themselves much more difficult to position than Wilson. If you follow Wilson WASP method, you'll quickly discover that it works very well for Wilson speakers and not so great for Sonus Faber... Wilson is simply more forgiving due to their inert cabinets and overall design that couples much less to the walls even though they have more bass authority.

I've struggled many times with Sonus Faber and continue to work hard on my current Elipsa models in a fully treated room while the Sophia 3s are simply singing along in a bare room...

Follow WASP for Wilson and you will discover that they really don't need much space around them and you can get away with less room, closer positioning to walls and less treatments in the room with outstanding results.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:54 PM

PHC1, thank you for your comments. Very much the info I was hoping to learn. As I mentioned, I'd only seen Wilson's fairly close to the front wall. In my space having them out into the room is actually preferable so they would play more into the open space. I'm glad to hear they are fairly flexible in placement.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
PHC1, thank you for your comments. Very much the info I was hoping to learn. As I mentioned, I'd only seen Wilson's fairly close to the front wall. In my space having them out into the room is actually preferable so they would play more into the open space. I'm glad to hear they are fairly flexible in placement.
Bob, you may find that Wilson speakers don't need wall reinforcement to augment their bass capabilites but are very forgiving if you do need to place them rather close which is hardly ever the case with most speakers. After my 3 pairs of Wilsons I found they get better in terms of depth of soundstage/layering of instruments front to back depending on the recording of course if you give them more space and will sound even more coherent. Of course the tonal balance will shift some depending on where in the room they are, that is the whole point of WASP, you are trying to find a more neutral zone in the room and it may or may not be exactly 1/3 or 1/5 into the room... it will vary. With many other speakers you will be battling that elusive balance of smooth bass response/tonal balance and imaging, I find with Wilson if you follow WASP, you don't have to worry about the bass aspect nearly as much, just trying to dial and focus everything else in.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 AM

Which transparent speaker cables are those guys using on the Sophia 3s ? Are those the musicwave ultras ?