AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 07-28-2015, 07:11 PM

I decided that I am going to purchase the 4429's. In addition to advise given here, I also reached out and had a couple of people from Harman and one from McIntosh tell me the 4429's and MC275 will be a good combo for home use. That is not without a point worth mentioning. One rep pointed out, the 4429's would not reach their full potential but still play loud. Updates to follow.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
I decided that I am going to purchase the 4429's. In addition to advise given here, I also reached out and had a couple of people from Harman and one from McIntosh tell me the 4429's and MC275 will be a good combo for home use. That is not without a point worth mentioning. One rep pointed out, the 4429's would not reach their full potential but still play loud. Updates to follow.
Congrats!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Great

I can agree with rep,

Using one MC275 is okey but better with 2xMC275 in mono. As long as you don't have a large room as I have. But, I don't see any problem and it sure will sound great.

There is more problems with room acoustics but that is another story
Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Room is about 12 x 17' Another 275 may be a possibility, like next year or so for funding and if I can find a used version iv to match. Wish me luck!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Room is about 12 x 17' Another 275 may be a possibility, like next year or so for funding and if I can find a used version iv to match. Wish me luck!
Hallo!

Don't worry, your room is not so big.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 PM

Pink noise can either have a crest factor of 10 or 4. 10 requires 10 db more power than the the rms reading. Pink noise used for testing systems usually has a crest factor 4 or 6 db above rms level. So with a peaking factor of 50% on a 275, 1.8 db you should keep your meters 4 db below full out put. But Mac meters are very accurate up to 2000 hz, where most fundamental music is contained so when a peak comes along and they show your at 75 watts, its time to back down 4 db. indicated. or about 109 db at 1 meter and around concert level at 10 ft. But if your a rocker I would be looking for something more.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 PM

Thank you Twiiii. I have been breaking in the 4429's for a few days. My first concerns were "will the horns be harsh". This turned out to not be the case at all even when turning the HF an UHF higher. There would be more treble but it would still not be harsh and I decided to go with the factory setting.
The 4429's have a warm presentation however with more detail than the Vienna's. I am hearing things like drum sticks hitting cymbals, more plucking of strings and other nuances.
The weak point of this set up is the congested sound during busier music. The low end does not sound tight and strong on some recordings. (Deep breath) I'm thinking of going solid state. I had the same problem with the VA speakers though less now. I'll still have my tube pre amp in this system and a full tube stereo in a smaller room which may be better suited something of that nature. I'm hoping a 3-400 watt MC solid state would just rock and still have an enjoyable presentation. Decisions.....
Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you Twiiii. I have been breaking in the 4429's for a few days. My first concerns were "will the horns be harsh". This turned out to not be the case at all even when turning the HF an UHF higher. There would be more treble but it would still not be harsh and I decided to go with the factory setting.
The 4429's have a warm presentation however with more detail than the Vienna's. I am hearing things like drum sticks hitting cymbals, more plucking of strings and other nuances.
The weak point of this set up is the congested sound during busier music. The low end does not sound tight and strong on some recordings. (Deep breath) I'm thinking of going solid state. I had the same problem with the VA speakers though less now. I'll still have my tube pre amp in this system and a full tube stereo in a smaller room which may be better suited something of that nature. I'm hoping a 3-400 watt MC solid state would just rock and still have an enjoyable presentation. Decisions.....
Hallo!

Give it some more time depend how loud you are playing if we are talking about break-in time. I feel the same regarding that there is no harschness in the horn. I would go for MC452 if you are going for McIntosh and maybe change the C2200 to C48 or C50 instead.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Hadn't thought about changing the preamp. Why would you go to the c48 or 50? And if I was planning on keeping mc for the pre, would you suggest something else for power?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Hadn't thought about changing the preamp. Why would you go to the c48 or 50? And if I was planning on keeping mc for the pre, would you suggest something else for power?
Hallo!

Regarding the pre amp, No particular reason, it is just I like transistor gear over tube. There is better S/N ratio in transistor over tube, just my opinion. But, you have a nice pre amp.

I am using a Crown DCi 2/600N and I am very pleased with it's performance. Maybe it is not your cup of tea. The amp I have is for installed application. It does not have the ordinary RCA or XLR connection so one have to cut the wire and connect a pheonix connector. Not so good if high-end cable is being used.

I can recommend a Crown Drivecore XLS 2002. They have RCA and XLR connectors.