AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 PM

At what size or listening distance is a room too small for the Yvette, where the (smaller) Sabrina would be a better choice for the room?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post
At what size or listening distance is a room too small for the Yvette, where the (smaller) Sabrina would be a better choice for the room?

A broom closet. Seriously, I'd put the Yvette in any room that is big enough for Sabrina. It's more about what you can afford. Both of them can be made to sound great in any room in my opinion. Maybe metaphacts (bill from Wilson) will have a more precise answer. You can always call Wilson support, too.

But I've heard both and the Yvette is worth the extra $$ in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
A broom closet. Seriously, I'd put the Yvette in any room that is big enough for Sabrina. It's more about what you can afford. Both of them can be made to sound great in any room in my opinion. Maybe metaphacts (bill from Wilson) will have a more precise answer. You can always call Wilson support, too.

But I've heard both and the Yvette is worth the extra $$ in my opinion.
Until we build a house in Utah, I have a small apartment living room. I had planned to put Sabrinas in as the perfect room match for us. Then Dave and Daryl played the Yvette for me. I was stunned. But it was the next few months that drove the point home. Shows and dealer events (including Definitive in October ) reinforced and expanded the first impressions Yvette capabilities. It was a no brainer to choose Yvette over Sabrina for my room. The lifelike weight in the bass up though the mids emulates the biggest of Wilsons. Yvette has no right to be this good. You just need to make sure your amp is up to the task.

Last edited by metaphacts; 12-22-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Red face

Bill...

Good point on amplification for Yvette. Heard your comment from a dealer recently. I understand that the impedance dip/phase shift in the Yvette needs some serious current to drive.

In my 20x30x12 highly reflective Florida living room, the Duette II's are just not enough. I had the original Sasha's a couple of years ago in a smaller living room up north before we moved down and am used to that level of weight in the presentation. So I'm now on to the Yvette's.

My amplification choices are conrad-johnson LP140 monoblocks or their Premier 350 solid state stereo amp. While I prefer the tube amp's sound, I may need to use the 350's current output.

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks,
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 12-22-2016, 02:07 PM

If your room is super small, consider the duette 2's. My new listening room took a downgrade in size after my son was born and the Sasha 2's that I had needed to be right up against the wall. Obviously that made the bass sound pretty bad.

I moved to the duette 2's and the sound quality really improved for me but again, this was a very small room where speakers where right in the corners.

I also have the alida's in the living room and those are also some impressive speakers for small rooms. I like the duettes better though
Work Audeze LCD-XC, Audeze Deckard
Old 12-23-2016, 03:31 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Bill...

Good point on amplification for Yvette. Heard your comment from a dealer recently. I understand that the impedance dip/phase shift in the Yvette needs some serious current to drive.

In my 20x30x12 highly reflective Florida living room, the Duette II's are just not enough. I had the original Sasha's a couple of years ago in a smaller living room up north before we moved down and am used to that level of weight in the presentation. So I'm now on to the Yvette's.

My amplification choices are conrad-johnson LP140 monoblocks or their Premier 350 solid state stereo amp. While I prefer the tube amp's sound, I may need to use the 350's current output.

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob

I've used a variety of amps on Yvette with great success including ARC REF250, ARC REF 75SE (small room), D'Agostino M-400s, D'Agostino Progression, D'Agostino Classic Stereo, Naim NAPV145, VTL Stereo 400, VTL MB450, among others. I'm sure there are many more that I have yet to try. I really want to see how Nagra's new Classic Integrated does on Yvette. I have a soft spot for the Swiss guys.

I'm using an old favorite, the Pass Aleph 3, that by it's power rating has no right doing what it does. But the Pass has always worked best into an Yvette type load and so delivers results that belie it's power. That said, I have tried a couple of highly regarded sub 50 watt Class A amps that were simply unable to cope - a complete lack of life and dynamics.

The lesson? Try both CJ's. With the large size of your room, the larger amp is likely the best match. But have your dealer set them up with the LP140s first to see if they can do the job. Once you're set swap in the Premier. Pick the one that checks off the most boxes, starting with dynamics, ability to scale, tonal balance, and in the end, makes the most music.

Enjoy!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 AM

I have been listening to my Yvettes for over a month. They do take about 100 hrs. of use to fully 'break in' to obtain full "bloom" to attain their potential for a truly spacious and open image. One of Yvette's great strengths is their sense of space. Before purchase, I auditioned these speakers with an MC452 and have been using an MC302 on my own pair for the past month with lovely results. Either of these amps have sufficient power and current capabilities and, being Macs, the impediance question is dealt with up front (so to speak). The Yvettes are something very special, as you will discover.

Happy listening.

Bob
Old 12-27-2016, 01:50 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Thanks Bob... what is the size of your listening room?

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Thanks Bob... what is the size of your listening room?

Bob
Rather than go by memory, I shall measure my listening space and post when I return from holiday travels. It is an L-shaped room and not small. Stay tuned.

Bob
Old 12-29-2016, 12:33 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Rather than go by memory, I shall measure my listening space and post when I return from holiday travels. It is an L-shaped room and not small. Stay tuned.

Bob

I am staying tuned... thanks