AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions

There is a big customer base looking for killer sounding phono stages in the 2-3k price range so I think Manley is smart to fill this need, yes?
Very smart Jeff !

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM

I wonder how it will sound compared to the SteelHead.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

From what I've been reading so far, the Chinook utilizes the same or a very comparable circuit to that used in the Steelhead, so you should be able to get Steelhead type performance for about 1/3 the price. Like Jerome and Jeff, I think Manley is a company thst gets overlooked, but makes great products! They are very widely respected pro audio as well as home audio. And I agree with Jeff that there is a big market for a first class phono stage in the $2-3K range...this is the range where I live, FWIW. Lots of offers in the $600-1000 range and the $5K+ range, but really not many players in the $2500 range other than the Sutherland and the Curl Parasound...the Chinook is a welcome addition and the one that would have my interest the most.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Just got word from Manley Labs that my Chinook phono stage is shipping today so it should be in the system wed
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM

From looking at my paper work it shows serial number of the unit is xxx002....so I'm thinking Manley has serial number xxx001, maybe the one they used at CES, it appears mine is the first unit off the line.....sort of cool, hope its a good one, LOL!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
From looking at my paper work it shows serial number of the unit is xxx002....so I'm thinking Manley has serial number xxx001, maybe the one they used at CES, it appears mine is the first unit off the line.....sort of cool, hope its a good one, LOL!
Congrats Jeff...looking forward to your listening impressions
Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM

The Chinook arrived earlier today....its a nice piece, simple, clean looking and well built. All the loading and capacitance switches are located on the back side with the MM/MC switches internal.....I'm liking the bit higher gain on the MM side with 45dB as its a perfect match with my ortofon ST-80SE SUT that I pair up with my SPU's.....the MC side is 60dB. It uses two 6922 tubes for the gain stage with two 6922 tubes for the output stage which is nice by me as I have many to roll with. Loading is done via the five switches on the back side that yields 32 possible loading possibilities.....I've played a few LPs and so far its all is good.....just listening for the short time and I can already tell Manley done good on this one and the price is right too I can't wait to get working on the new listening room as things are a bit cluttered

Last edited by Removed; 03-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Ooh ooh!

I'm looking forward to scheduling a visit with you and coming over for a listen!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
The Chinook arrived earlier today....its a nice piece, simple, clean looking and well built. All the loading and capacitance switches are located on the back side with the MM/MC switches internal.....I'm liking the bit higher gain on the MM side with 45dB as its a perfect match with my ortofon ST-80SE SUT that I pair up with my SPU's.....the MC side is 60dB. It uses two 6922 tubes for the gain stage with two 6922 tubes for the output stage which is nice by me as I have many to roll with. Loading is done via the five switches on the back side that yields 32 possible loading possibilities.....I've played a few LPs and so far its all is good.....just listening for the short time and I can already tell Manley done good on this one and the price is right too I can't wait to get working on the new listening room as things are a bit cluttered
Cooooool Jeff !
Thanks !
Go Manley Go !
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Jeff...thx for the update. Does it have the same sonic signature as the Steelhead? If no, how would you describe it's sonic attributes? What % of Steelhead performance does this buy you? Thx