AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Hmmm, interesting. I did have "tivo" years back and I have to admit they were great. But for the past 5-6 years I've had the HD DVR's that directv switched to. I have nothing but praise for them. Ya, a little slow, but over all I felt they were/are pretty darn good. A hell of a lot better than cable. It Surprises me to hear you were so disappointed.
I have series 3 tvio for my cable today. I was an reminder on how bad DirecTV DVR are. I could go into about the hack that allowed markers to be placed and used as comerical skips! Ahhh yes..... the good ole days. I had DirecTV til this summer, I'll been a long time user since 1995. I think because of the price and my overall usage. Lead me to drop them, but that crappy DVR was always a thorn to me. Cable DVR boxes ROTFL....... I think they were made to piss people off by design!
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000

Last edited by blacsno; 11-10-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
TVIO used to supply units to DirecTV. Then DirecTV decided to supply thier own crippled version of a DVR. DirecTV DVR's are lightyears behind the times. What the point of having a faster menu. When they won't address functionalities of its units. I have tons of gripes with DirecTV's DVRs. I'm not alone in this assesment of their version of a DVR "Google it"! DirecTV has hinted not as of yet, that they may return to TVIO for DVR as an optional choice. Once you've had TVIO you never go back!
What gripes do you have with DirecTV's DVR? I find it virtually identical (in functionality) to the last TiVo I owned. In many ways, far superior since DirecTV is much more on top of their guide data than TiVo ever was. And aesthetically, the UI looks a hell of a lot better than TiVo's dated bubblepalooza. Given DirecTV's hardware and monthly DVR service are roughly half the cost of comparable TiVos, I'm hard-pressed to see why anyone would want a TiVo branded box.

I recently upgraded my HR-21 to the HR-24 and it is noticeably faster and more responsive. The extra storage space is really nice too.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't know a thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
I recently upgraded my HR-21 to the HR-24 and it is noticeably faster and more responsive. The extra storage space is really nice too.
How loud it the fan noise of the 24 compared to the 21?

Krell EVO 707, Krell EVO 600(3), B&W 800D, B&W HTM1D, Submersive F2(4), SOtM tX-USBexp>>Berkeley Alpha USB>>Berkeley Alpha DAC2, PsAudio PPP, PsAudio Soloist Premier SE..Nordost(CAST), Cardas clear, Shunyata, Billy Bags, Symposium, GIK acoustics\IEM:Westone ES5, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, RSA SR-71B, Toxic Cables
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
How loud it the fan noise of the 24 compared to the 21?
Lou, my fan noise cut down considerably when I plugged my 21 into a conditioner. Don't know if you've tried this, but it sure made a difference for my noisy bedroom unit.
The 24 sure looks nice. I was told that when you hook it up with your old dvr's it integrates quite well. You then can see what each room has recorded and watch it, but you can only delete from the room/dvr that set up the recording. Meaning your kids won't be deleting stuff from their rooms that you set up to record elsewhere. That was a concern of mine.
Good question about fan noise.

Mike
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect