AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 AM

Default New 2010 Mac Mini in the house!

I replaced my 2007 white MacBook (music server) with this newly released Mac Mini. This thing is sexy. RAM upgrade was easy, but SSD is not so easy. It's a tight fit. I plan to use this as a "headless" music server. I will report back with how it sounds. I will be using Amarra Mini 2.0 and PS Audio DAC Link III (Cullen mod) and Wireworld Toslink to mini optical cable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (96.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (92.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (52.5 KB, 103 views)

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2

Last edited by Dj_AmTraX; 06-24-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 AM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Very Cool Mike!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Mine is scheduled to arrive today also to be used as a music server. I plan on using the USB out to a Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks for info and I am also interested in getting a Mac Mini. I want to get into the "future" or next logical step in audio. I have tried a search, but have not found why the benefits of the Mini vs. others. Is it possibel, without getting too OT, to explain the benefit of the Mac Mini and and all it's uses. Is it becuse of build quality? Speed? I am now downloading CD's via wav to my 250GB LG590 blu-ray player. Alo are the brand new models better? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Nice
Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM

I am interested to hear how this goes. I have an AppleTV now (connected to an iMac elsewhere in the house) but I'd love to have a single, dedicated box with all my music on it, so that my iMac doesn't need to have iTunes running 24x7. The stock Mac Mini won't work for me (I have nearly 1TB of music) so I was thinking of getting the Mac Mini Server, which has 2 512GB drives (no optical).
Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
Mine is scheduled to arrive today also to be used as a music server. I plan on using the USB out to a Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2.
That DAC should shake up the DAC market, it's an outrageous value,packed with features, built by a top builder.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2me View Post
Thanks for info and I am also interested in getting a Mac Mini. I want to get into the "future" or next logical step in audio. I have tried a search, but have not found why the benefits of the Mini vs. others. Is it possibel, without getting too OT, to explain the benefit of the Mac Mini and and all it's uses. Is it becuse of build quality? Speed? I am now downloading CD's via wav to my 250GB LG590 blu-ray player. Alo are the brand new models better? Thanks!

I plan to go the Mac mini route as well........one of these days
For me, the benefit is the user interface. That is what a server is all about
Mac iTunes is very comfortable to operate. Use a plug in like Amarra or Pure Music and the sound is not compromised whatsoever.

Mini offers the ability to download and play hirez files. You can use USB or optical out. There are audiophile grade converters that will take the USB output and convert to coaxial digital if you like. I assume the mini is essentially silent as well. As your collection grows add external hard drive or NAS.

This route makes the most sense to me. No compromises. Only neg i can think of is it is not a turnkey system.

The absolute biggest advantage is going headless - ie NO friggin monitor in my small listening room. I find them distracting. How do u operate it without a monitor?? .....iPad of course. Using a screen sharing app the iPad will become the Mini. iPad - the perfect music server remote.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 06-30-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Listener in Training

Mike,
Congrats - I upgraded mine too, from the 2007 model & jammed 8GB of RAM in there for 1/2 what Apple is charging. Love the new one - purchased it mainly because I'm going to use Aperture 3 on it and I'll be loading something like 15-20k photos on it starting in a month or two when I finish an 8-year project of scanning my negatives.

Talk2me,
You can get a Windows-based machine for much less, but the Mac Mini is a very quiet and very versatile well-built machine. The OS is great as well. Since my setup is "stereo in a HT environment", the Mac Mini is an excellent choice. By "stereo in a HT environment" I mean that my gear's primarily used for stereo listening, most of the time running iTunes of the Mac Mini through the Benchmark DAC to the MX-136. Of course, the MVP-871 is great any disc short of Blu-Ray. The iPod touch's "Remote" application makes for an excellent controller, especially if you go headless. I use the wireless keypad and mouse, and it works like a charm.

The video out goes through the MX-136 to the TV, which gets used about 80%+ of the time as a monitor, and very soon a slide show & home movie display. With that, I'll be able to bore the neighbors interminably!
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable

Last edited by 80B; 06-30-2010 at 10:56 PM.