AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM

Default Ref CD8 and DAC's

HI from the UK!

I was wondering does anyone use a DAC with their CD8 purely for audio improvements (not to enable extra functionality such as using with media servers)?

I understand the Ref DAC will be released shortly. Would using the CD8 simply as a transport be overkill and a waste of the CD8? Are there any other alternatives?

Sorry for all the questions!
Many thanks
Marc.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 AM

Given my current experience switching between a Reimyo CDT 777 and a $400 Marantz going into the same DAC with the same digital cable, I would say it is an overkill.

The tube output stage of the CD 8 is great though. I wish ARC had done an SE version for it allowing direct access to its DAC like the EAR Acute III.

Do you have a Ref DAC on order?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 AM

Using the ref dac should not be an overkill if you intend to use it as a linestage/dac. The output stage of the ref dac I believe is the same as that of the ref 5SE. If you do, however, intend to use it as just a DAC, I agree it would be overkill.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Marc...if I understood your question correctly, you are asking if it's overkill to use the CD8 as a transport only with an outboard DAC doing digital conversion (presumably a DAC that betters the on-board DAC of the CD8)? To me that is overkill. As an example, if you compare an Oppo BDP-95 used as a transport going into a DAC 8 (or whichever DAC of your choosing) vs. a CD-8 used as a transport going into the same DAC, there "might" be a slightly better presentation via the CD-8 vs. the Oppo into the DAC, but it will not be a materially better sonic presentation. Remember the CD-8 is meant to be an integrated player, so it is not optimized as a transport-only like the aforementioned Esoteric units. This is my personal take/intuition on the subject as I have not actually made the comparison. Would you have an opportunity to test the premise out at home (i.e., I am assuming you have the CD-8 now and you want to add an outboard DAC) so you can run an experiment similar to the scenario I presented above. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:31 PM
MrAcoustat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck1973 View Post
HI from the UK!

I was wondering does anyone use a DAC with their CD8 purely for audio improvements (not to enable extra functionality such as using with media servers)?

I understand the Ref DAC will be released shortly. Would using the CD8 simply as a transport be overkill and a waste of the CD8? Are there any other alternatives?

Sorry for all the questions!
Many thanks
Marc.
Please KEEP IT SIMPLE the Audio Research CD-8 is already one of the best Cd player on the market why bother that's the idea behind the ONE box unit no hassle save money on cable - one unit is cheaper than 2 - less space - less chances of breaking - the only reason i don't have a CD-8 is that i got a very very good deal on the Chord One & CPM-2600 integrated amp BUT i don't have ANY interest on seperate units to me it is not WORTH the difference, i am waiting for one of these USED then i may let go my Chord.

Last edited by MrAcoustat; 05-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 PM

With an ARC Ref DAC I would use the best computer source such as:

Linn Akurate DS 2 on its digital output
Or Aurender streaming unit on AES output
Or a desktop PC fitted with a Lynx/RME AES-EBU PCI card
Or a Mac Pro station fitted with the same card

At some point we need to replicate what is used in the recording studio thus the PCI card option. I've collected converging opinions from Pro audio engineers that it cannot be bettered assuming one use a worldclass DAC. Some short demos were also very impressive with Lavry DAC for example.

CD drive units will disappear in the market anyway, but possibly not the high class integrated CD player with digital inputs since this is the most versatile option for audiophiles. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 PM

Thank you for all your replies. Sorry for the slow response I have been travelling the last couple of days.

So it appears pretty unanimous that using a DAC with the CD8 is not the right way to go. I think I will wait until the CD9 appears (anyone have any idea of dates for this?!)

Thanks again
M.