AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-21-2017, 04:12 AM

Default Wilson Sasha with Mezzo or ...

I am being tempted into making my new room dual use for music and home theater; and with this I would need to acquire a center channel speaker.

The obvious choice is the Wilson Mezzo...

..however it does have a commanding price for a center channel. Has anyone explored alternatives that integrate well with the Sasha or Alexia? For example the B&W HTM1D3 is 1/3 of the price of the Mezzo.

And in Australia, Krix is very well known for Home Theater and their Krix Epricentrix is another alternative, again at an 1/8 of the cost of the Mezzo.

Any other suggestions or comments?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Wilson Sasha with Mezzo or ...

I have a similar room...two channel system with added multichannel capability. I use Alexia and mezzo upfront and Alida for surrounds. But prior to this setup I used the Watch center 3 with Sasha. The mezzo is a great speaker but the center 3 will work well and also has the same tweeter as your Sasha. I would recommend going that route before switching brands but the best approach is listen and choose what sounds best to you

Last edited by enatai252; 03-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
I am being tempted into making my new room dual use for music and home theater; and with this I would need to acquire a center channel speaker.

The obvious choice is the Wilson Mezzo...

..however it does have a commanding price for a center channel. Has anyone explored alternatives that integrate well with the Sasha or Alexia? For example the B&W HTM1D3 is 1/3 of the price of the Mezzo.

And in Australia, Krix is very well known for Home Theater and their Krix Epricentrix is another alternative, again at an 1/8 of the cost of the Mezzo.

Any other suggestions or comments?
The answer depends how serious you are about theater. The one rule to follow is to match all 5 of the speakers. That is one of the important aspects necessary for creating an immersive and cohesive soundfield. None of the centers you show above, regardless of their other capabilities, will match the tonal balance of your Sashas. The Mezzo is a Sasha in a center channel format.

You could go to the Wilson Center 3 if the Mezzo is too far a reach. Short of the Mezzo, that is the best match and would preserve coherence across the front stage.

ymmv
Old 03-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Default Been there and done that!

Bill AKA metaphacts said it much better than I could. Speaking from experience I previously owned Watt Puppy 7's and the Watch center. I was searching for better clarity and punch from my system. I was curious and after going back and forth like you on spending so much money for a center speaker I broke down and spent the money on the Mezzo. I was fortunate to get a great price on the store demo. The Watch is a great speaker but wasn't the same as the Mezzo. Better dynamics, better integration to the point I came to the conclusion my WP7's were holding me back. I took the plunge and changed the mains also! I have no regrets and really enjoy the system as it should be! If you listen to your system as I do, that is similar to what Dave Wilson's home demonstrations sound like then you will NEED the Mezzo. My true test for any surround system is the Blu-ray Interstellar. It is mixed with a heavy amount of low end coming out of the center channel and rear surrounds. I think many of you have never seen or heard this movie played at reference levels? I definitely remember it from the theater where it was loud but not as clean and accurate as in my system. It can kill many a system that was up to the task prior to auditioning. Good luck in your decision making.

Last edited by Sharp 1080; 03-21-2017 at 03:30 PM.