AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 02-24-2017, 02:30 PM

Default New Car for the Wife

Al, the wife, has finally agreed that it's time to replace "Kelly", her 10 y/o Cayenne S with 190,000 mile on the clock. After looking at all of the usual suspects, including the new Jaguar SUV, it's down to Mecan S and the Jeep Cherokee Summit with the Hemi V8. Anyone have experience with the Jeep which seems to be her choice.

Steve
Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Default New Car for the Wife

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports recommends the Macan but pans the Cherokee, with more cons than pros. It has worse than average reliability, and not very good owner satisfaction. I've never owned a Porsche, but did buy a Jeep Liberty for my wife a few years ago, against my better judgement, because she loved the look and had always wanted a Jeep. Consumer Reports had panned that one as well, indicting poor reliability, and sure enough, with 100k on it it's been the most troublesome car we've owned in the last 30 years.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-24-2017, 06:54 PM

Lots of folks in my horse world bought the jeep to tow horse trailers and few of them speak fondly of it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM

I traded my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit in for a 2016 Porsche Macan S. I liked the handling of the Jeep in snow and felt very safe in the car like I could go anywhere. The Jeep is a better off road vehicle. It has great safety features such as automatic braking if a car stops short in front of you. If your bright headlights are on and a car is coming toward you in the opposite lane the brights reduce to normal headlights. The Jeep is a very comfortable car, the back seat area is much more comfortable than the Macan. While I love the sportiness of the Macan S, the back seat is too small and uncomfortable to sit an adult unless I pull the driver front seat up and then I am a little uncomfortable. The back seat in the Macan is for someone shorter than 5' 3' . Honestly you are better off with the Jeep Grand Cherokee as a family SUV, very good bang for the buck. Why not get another Cayenne ?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Volvo XC90 - game over!

Superb handling, luxury and comfort + gas mileage than cannot be beat in a larger SUV.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:19 AM

"Volvo XC90 - game over!

Superb handling, luxury and comfort + gas mileage than cannot be beat in a larger SUV. "
Probably biggest surprise at the test drive. 2.0L in-line 4 in a full sized SUV, I thought this will be a waste of time. The wife was very surprised at how good the performance was. Wanted something smaller than the XC90 but the XC60 is in need of upgrade. May look at the XC90.

"Why not get another Cayenne ? "
That would be her #1 but doesn't want to spend $90k+. Another downside is that there is no Porsche dealer in our State, a bit of a bother with 3 Porsches in the garage.

Steve

Steve
Old 02-25-2017, 01:25 AM
Keeping it real since '75

I havent had the trim level of Jeep you are looking at, but my wife has had three of the current generation SRT8 version (6.4L Hemi) of the Jeep Cherokee. The high trim levels have tons of technology and have excellent interior design (thanks to Fiat). My wife always wants to have the "latest" which is why she has had so many of them, but we have never had any issues with them whatsoever. If you plan on keeping the car for the long haul, the total cost of ownership is going to be way less on the Jeep vs. Porsche.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
I havent had the trim level of Jeep you are looking at, but my wife has had three of the current generation SRT8 version (6.4L Hemi) of the Jeep Cherokee. The high trim levels have tons of technology and have excellent interior design (thanks to Fiat). My wife always wants to have the "latest" which is why she has had so many of them, but we have never had any issues with them whatsoever. If you plan on keeping the car for the long haul, the total cost of ownership is going to be way less on the Jeep vs. Porsche.
Thanks...Wife wants to drive an SRT Summit but none in local dealerships. She thought the standard "hemi" was a bit lacking but acceptable. From what I've read, reliability has improved. We keep cars that we like, so "Kelly" the Cayenne, at 10 y/o is the newest of the current litter.

Steve
Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM

My wife has owned six Grand Cherokees over the last 20 years. Just for grins, she looked at and drove the Lexus GX 460. The Grand Cherokee Limited was immediately forgotten and traded in for the Lexus.

Essentially a Japanese Range Rover.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,

Last edited by GreginNH1; 02-25-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:23 PM

I currently have a Jeep Summit with the Ecodiesel. It has been in the shop numerous times and a few times this winter it has made an awful jerking motion at lower speeds and made odd noises. I am the least mechanical person you will find, but it sounded and felt awful. It disappeared before I could bring it in to the dealership, but the car only has around 30k miles on it. Not confidence inspiring.

It has been in for the DEF system (not going to be a problem on the Hemi) and several times for the radio, which was ultimately replaced. There was a windshield wiper issue as well.

I have bought my last Fiat/Chrysler vehicle. I think there are way more reliable vehicles out there. YMMV
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature