AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-10-2017, 06:30 AM

Default So concretely

I'm officially confused, on my MC2301's (POWER OUTPUT PER CHANNEL
300W @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms) do I go for Sigma HC or Analog?

I'd think from everything I read, it's HC - but I just saw Grant saying stick with Analog? Not sure if that applies for McIntosh MC2301's

Many Thanks,
Luk
Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Grant is a good man. I'm sure he'll weigh in. I use the Sigma HC for my Triton 3 and also have one for my Audio Research Ref 150 which runs directly into the wall outlet and I love it. In the amplifier position it is easily the single most effective pc or ic I have ever added to my system. I have not tried the Sigma Analog so I cannot compare.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 02-10-2017, 07:20 PM

The Sigma HC will work well with any amp; my point was that at its price it would seem a more ideal fit for amps that will benefit most from the added gauge i.e.: high-draw amps at or above 300W AB or Class A bias amps, OTL's etc. These same amps are often fairly expensive, which fits in better with the more expensive HC in terms of balancing component versus power cord cost. In making recommendations, I try to keep the margin in cost difference reasonable.

I'm conservative in my recommendations. I would prefer someone purchased under their budget on products that over-performed, than the other way around.

We've had no complaints about the performance of the HC on amps of any current rating, but if I am recommending a power cord to someone with a 250w AB amp or less, I tend to recommend the less expensive Sigma Analog as the first alternative because quite often, they are impressed enough to have no desire to move up. There is a reason we don't sell 5-figure and up power cords and its not because we can't make models in that price range. Often its just the flick of a pen. I always think of value first. The conductor set in the Analog is of a slightly higher grade and in the HC, its still exceptional copper, but more about mass (brute force current transfer) :-).

Best regards,

Grant
Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschoonaert View Post
I'm officially confused, on my MC2301's (POWER OUTPUT PER CHANNEL
300W @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms) do I go for Sigma HC or Analog?

I'd think from everything I read, it's HC - but I just saw Grant saying stick with Analog? Not sure if that applies for McIntosh MC2301's

Many Thanks,
Luk
Hello Luk,

If I might chime in on this one. I believe that you have a Tannoy speaker - the Canterbury which is a very high efficiency speaker? If so, even though you have a very powerful amplifier, it is primarily operating at less than one watt output for most music. Therefore, your amp is very lightly loaded and pulling very little current.

I agree with Grant that the Sigma Analog is the best choice for your amp/speaker combination. The Sigma Analog uses VTX conductors that are essentially "hollow tubes" which eliminates skin effect and reduce parasitic self inductance of the wire. And the Sigma Analog uses 8 gauge wire which is rated at more than 40 amps of current. That is more than sufficient for any amplifier. All of these aspects deliver a refined and pure sound quality.

Give it a try - I think you will like it.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 AM

Hi Caelin, Grant,
Thanks for your comments , Caelin you have great memory! So yes my MC2301's are each connected to a dedicated line (not through my triton/typhon) and driving Tannoy Canterbury's.

So my ears were right, the Sigma Analog is the one. That will leave me some budget for putting a power cord on my phone-stage (EAR834P), so I'd assume that's either a Alpha or Sigma analog as well? being a tube amp?

PS. Just connected my spare Alpha HC to my phono (EAR834P) - one issue is that the cable's grey part is so thick it doesn't really fit well because of the ear's ground connector. Now I know the HC is not for a phono stage, but the Sigma Analog has the same thickness - so would the Shunyata Research Ztron Z-PC10 Analog be a good alternative or is the sound trade-off significant compared to a Sigma Analog?

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Luk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3309.jpg (85.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3305.jpg (87.4 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by lschoonaert; 02-11-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added some pictures
Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 AM

What you want for the phono preamp is a cable that will be part of our new product line called the EF Series. EF stands for "extreme flexibility". It is not available yet so don't bug your dealer about it. But for your specific problem you should wait for this cable. It has taken us 3 years to develop what we believe is the ultimate IEC connector for obstructed AC access to a component. This includes many components like video projectors, components with molded shrouds and specifically the Devialet products. This new IEC can accept massive 8 gauge wire, has a brilliant strain relief system and has contacts that are pure OFE copper.

Or, if you are in a hurry, get the Z-PC10 which is roughly equivalent to an Alpha Analog cable in performance. Except it has a much smaller component connector. It is definitely not equivalent to any Sigma cable, however.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Sigma Analog on MC2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
What you want for the phono preamp is a cable that will be part of our new product line called the EF Series. EF stands for "extreme flexibility". It is not available yet so don't bug your dealer about it. But for your specific problem you should wait for this cable. It has taken us 3 years to develop what we believe is the ultimate IEC connector for obstructed AC access to a component. This includes many components like video projectors, components with molded shrouds and specifically the Devialet products. This new IEC can accept massive 8 gauge wire, has a brilliant strain relief system and has contacts that are pure OFE copper.

Or, if you are in a hurry, get the Z-PC10 which is roughly equivalent to an Alpha Analog cable in performance. Except it has a much smaller component connector. It is definitely not equivalent to any Sigma cable, however.

Hi Caelin,

This discussion has me thinking. I purchased Alpha HC for most all my system (Denali, amps, preamp, dac) and alpha digital (server) based on advice given in another thread here on AA.

The new EF cables are intriguing. As I am about to install my new system, I am confronted with some difficulty wth space restrictions. My cabinet where gear will reside is only 23" deep. The alpha HC require about 6-7" before they can make a downward bend based on the size of the IEC apparatus.

Will the new EF cables be any different in this regard? Will the cable bend quicker? Or it just a slimmer IEC with same rigid length?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 AM

Hi Caelin,
That's great news and advice, will definitely wait for the EF series - I'm not in a rush at all, just want the right cables for my system!
L.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Hi Caelin,

This discussion has me thinking. I purchased Alpha HC for most all my system (Denali, amps, preamp, dac) and alpha digital (server) based on advice given in another thread here on AA.

The new EF cables are intriguing. As I am about to install my new system, I am confronted with some difficulty wth space restrictions. My cabinet where gear will reside is only 23" deep. The alpha HC require about 6-7" before they can make a downward bend based on the size of the IEC apparatus.

Will the new EF cables be any different in this regard? Will the cable bend quicker? Or it just a slimmer IEC with same rigid length?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
The cables are smaller in diamter and so flexible you can wrap them around two fingers. The IEC connector has a smaller diameter which allows it to clear obstructions near a component's inlet. It is about the same dimension in length as an Alpha CopperCONN connector. It works well to route through custom cabinetry.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Lots of great info here......not to hijack the thread but it looked like a good place to ask.......I'm looking for a cord for my Mytek Manhattan which I am using as a DAC as well as analog pre-amp. Per the mentioned chart it looks like the Sigma Digital would be the best choice....is this still the current thought?

Travis