AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 PM

Default Sony HAP-Z1ES

If you have more than a few CDs, I believe that ripping capability in any unit (not just the Sony) is not necessary and, quite frankly, overrated.
For ripping a CD collection you need a computer and dedicated software like dbpoweramp or EAC. That way you can be certain that you got accurate rips. And you can select which file format you prefer (FLAC, WAV, ALAC, etc.) and the level compression for your files. Not to mention the ability to correct the metadata including album cover before ripping.
And since the metadata (particularly in classical music) sooner or later will need adjustment, the best way to do so is using dedicated tagging software and a computer.
I tried ripping a CD with the Sony and it works. But it is NOT a replacement for dedicated ripping and metadata software.
Think of a unit with ripping capabilities as a bicycle with training wheels. Sooner or later you need the real thing.

Last edited by nicoff; 03-13-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:11 PM

To add to the discussion regarding ripping directly to the Sony, the way it was initially designed was to allow the user to rip CDs on their PC using the software of their choosing, and the Sony transfer software can be configured to automatically transfer rips over your network to the Sony. This process makes a lot of sense if you think about it since it automatically provides you with a duplicate copy of all rips as backups without the need to configure any redundant storage or backup software.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
To add to the discussion regarding ripping directly to the Sony, the way it was initially designed was to allow the user to rip CDs on their PC using the software of their choosing, and the Sony transfer software can be configured to automatically transfer rips over your network to the Sony. This process makes a lot of sense if you think about it since it automatically provides you with a duplicate copy of all rips as backups without the need to configure any redundant storage or backup software.

100% in agreement. And then when one eventually decide to replace/sell the unit (and sooner or later we will) , you can just format the hard drive if you want to since you already have a backup.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post

Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohibaman View Post

+1000
Main: Wilson Alexia, D'Agostino M400 monoblocks, Ypsilon PST-100 Mk 2 preamp, Helix 1 turntable w/Lyra Etna SL cart and SAT tonearm, Ypsilon VPS-100, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Shunyata Triton v2 & Typhon, Shunyata Cyclops and power cords, Transparent Opus MM2 speaker cables and interconnects, Kubala-Sosna interconnects and power cords.

Family Room: Legacy Focus towers, sub, and surrounds, McIntosh MC452, McIntosh C2500, DHC-80.3, Parasound Halo A-51, Sony HAP-Z1ES, AppleTV, OPPO BDP-105D, Sonos, XBox One, XBox 360, Shunyata Triton.

Office: KEF LS-50, Decware Zen Mystery Amp, E.A.R. 868, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sonos.

Library: B&W 805 Maserati, JL Audio Fathom f113 sub, twin MC275LE, McIntosh C2500, AMG Viella V12 w/Lyra Etna cart, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amp/DAC, Sennheiser HD800 cans.

Other: VPI Aries 3 w/Triplanar tonearm and Dynavector 17D3 cart, CTC Blowtorch, Vendetta Research SCP-2A, 2 MC30's, 3 MC240's, MC275 Mk V, MC275 Mk VI, 2 Bob Carver Black Beauties, EAR 890, EAR 324, Parasound Halo A21, Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks, Parasound Halo JC-3, Pioneer SX-1250, Pioneer SX-5590, Pioneer SX-1980, Thiel CS2.4 speakers.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's there a Heaven for?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Quick update on the HAP-Z1ES I have set up for a friend and on using the USB output. The question has been whether or not it would work with a DAC that requires ASIO drivers such as the Esoteric/TEAC DACs that I own.

I have the Sony connected to my vintage system in SC running by coax into my McIntosh C35 and via WW Platinum Starlight USB into a TEAC UD-503. Of course, it sounds great via the coax. I continue to impressed with the electronics inside the Sony.

You must make two changes for the Sony USB output to work. First, in the 'Settings' - 'Audio settings' sub-menu, you must set 'USB Digital Output' to 'Auto' and Second you must set 'DSD Output (DoP) to 'On'.

Using the USB output works well streaming all my 16 and 24 Bit FLAC and DSD files. I didn't really have time to do a detailed comparison of the DACs of the Sony (coax) versus the TEAC (USB). While it does not stream DSD natively, I am impressed that Sony has provided the capability to use external DACs.
Attachment 49730
My TEAC displays this while streaming DSD files from the Sony USB output.
Attachment 49731
Hey just found this thread. Got a question. When you say Coax from the Sony, what do you mean? I thought it just had the Analogue RCA or XLR?

Just making sure I understand what You are saying I tried to use the USB into my McIntosh C2600 after the firmware update and it won't work. But thats the issue with the c2600 I think.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Racing Hoopties

By coax, I meant it's analogue RCA outputs. Sorry for the confusion.

Did you set the Sony to output DSD using DoP??? My TEAC DAC also needs drivers for USB but it worked once I made that setting change in the Sony.

Good luck.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-04-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
By coax, I meant it's analogue RCA outputs. Sorry for the confusion.

Did you set the Sony to output DSD using DoP??? My TEAC DAC also needs drivers for USB but it worked once I made that setting change in the Sony.

Good luck.
I'm pretty sure I did but need to double check!...
Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Has anyone got DSD output working yet?
Old 05-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Racing Hoopties

Only when I set it to output using DoP.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack