AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
We have done extensive reasearch into asymetric AC waveforms (DC on the line) which can be caused by a variety of electronic devices today. This problem is also present from the power company in some EU countries and specifically in Australia and New Zealand.

There are some inexpensive devices on the market that can solve the problem for low current devices but they also dramatically hurt audio performance. The Isotek is the only hi-end solution that I am aware of. We have developed prototypes that solve the problem and can handle over 30 A of current and sound quite good even when used with mega dollar amplifiers.

We just haven't decided if it is a problem that would provide a return on investment. The circuit could be added to an existing or up coming power conditioner but in our opinion it would need to be defeatable because 90% of the people would not need it. And then it adds to the cost of the product unnecessarily.

If we created a stand-alone DC blocker product, it would probably be the most expensive product of its type on the market. Necessarily so to perform at a level we feel is adequate to be used with +50K amplifiers without degrading their sonic capabilities.
Caelin....You can add South Africa to the list and Burmester's conditioners also have DC blockers.

I would be very interested in a stand-alone DC blocker product.

Kind Regards,
Douglas
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Caelin....You can add South Africa to the list and Burmester's conditioners also have DC blockers.

I would be very interested in a stand-alone DC blocker product.

Kind Regards,
Douglas
As a side note; most South Africans use power products with American plugs and sockets, not Schuko.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
There are some inexpensive devices on the market that can solve the problem for low current devices but they also dramatically hurt audio performance. The Isotek is the only hi-end solution that I am aware of. We have developed prototypes that solve the problem and can handle over 30 A of current and sound quite good even when used with mega dollar amplifiers.
If we created a stand-alone DC blocker product, it would probably be the most expensive product of its type on the market. Necessarily so to perform at a level we feel is adequate to be used with +50K amplifiers without degrading their sonic capabilities.
One of the stand-alone DC-blocker I tried that performed reasonably with my Stereo1.0 Constellation amp, is Vibex Granada from Spain, price about €2500. Do you have tested this device?
----
Annotation: I mentioned the Vibex to give an idea of the price tag of a reasonable DC-blocker. I'm sure Shunyata can build a better one and then when it is included in the European 2000/T and costs not more than about €5000, then it will be a competitive state-of-the art power conditioner with DC-blocker!

Regards, Gerard

Last edited by GerardJ; 02-08-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-07-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
We have done extensive reasearch into asymetric AC waveforms (DC on the line) which can be caused by a variety of electronic devices today. This problem is also present from the power company in some EU countries and specifically in Australia and New Zealand.

We just haven't decided if it is a problem that would provide a return on investment. The circuit could be added to an existing or up coming power conditioner but in our opinion it would need to be defeatable because 90% of the people would not need it. And then it adds to the cost of the product unnecessarily.

Hi Caelin.
It would not be possible, instead of installing the circuit in all Denali, and that those who did not need it would disable it (which is indeed an extra expense for them) to make two Denali versions, with and without DC Blocker
Old 02-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
Hi Caelin.
It would not be possible, instead of installing the circuit in all Denali, and that those who did not need it would disable it (which is indeed an extra expense for them) to make two Denali versions, with and without DC Blocker
We have looked at this as a "possibility" and it is possible make the DC Blocker an "option". It would need to be hardwired and could NOT be disabled. But it would have to be built at the time of manufacture and cannot be retrofitted into existing units.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 PM

Am I missing something or do half of the cable supports on the 6000T not do anything because they are above the plug and not below? On the 6000S, however, they all appear to support the plugs.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM

The Cable Cradle design supports the cable in any direction. The cable can be pulled from the bottom, sides or top and won't pull out
Old 09-30-2017, 09:40 PM

With respect to possible upgrades and comparisons with other Shunyata products the following data may be of interest to some members. Using an Entech noise meter, on my specific power line noise spectrum, I received the following results using an Alpha HC input power cord on a Triton V2 and again after upgrading the V2 to V3 status. I used the full dynamic range of the Entech meter by carefully adjusting level know to obtain 199 to 199.5 reading (just before the overload point) on my raw power line noise. The Alpha HC power cable with the Triton V2 consistently yielded a value of 2.1 to 2.2. Assuming (may be a big assumption) that the output of the Entech meter is linear this would correspond to a 90.7 times reduction in noise, a 39 dB reduction. I measure this performance multiple times on different days and times of day. I purposely did this testing before I sent my Triton in for the update to V3 status. Measuring the Triton V3, with similar 199 to 199.5 power line noise level, I consistently get an Entech reading of 0.3 to 0.4. Again, if we assume the Entech output is linear, this would indicate approximately a 6 times improvement in the specific noise spectrum that I have on my power lines with the V3 Triton as compared to the V2 Triton. This would be an additional 15 dB to 16 dB over the V2 Tritons performance. This means Triton V3 with Alpha HC input cable achieves a 54 dB to 55 dB noise reduction with my power line noise spectrum and within the bandwidth of the Entech meter. Note: The Entech meter only measures "differential" line noise (noise between the power lines) and does not measure "common mode" noise (noise between power lines and ground). Hope this helps…
Old 11-04-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Hi Everyone,
The 6-outlet shelf mount Hydra Denali ($3995) is essentially the same internally as the 6-oulet Tower ($4995), but there is a difference in performance favoring the model 6000T (Tower)
I'm seriously considering the 6000/S (fits better within my set up), so what exactly is the performance difference if the 'guts' are the same ?
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 PM

The performance difference is small, but relates to the integrated base and feet, which provide additional isolation from vibration. The breaker on the 6000/T is rated to 30A (it's set to 20), so the contact area is a small degree less resistive to peak current. These differences could both be qualified as relatively minor in terms of overall performance, so if the form factor or price of the shelf unit is preferable, I would go that route and not worry a bit about missing anything significant performance wise.

Regards,

Grant