AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
My Porsche 911 has been the most trouble-free vehicle in our fleet, which has included Toyotas and Honda’s in the past. (Knocking on wood) The least reliable were a Toyota Land Cruiser in Lexus livery, a GS 470 I think, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee rolling bomb.
You put much mileage on your Porsche Tom? I’ve owned a bakers dozen of them and I agree, they were all trouble free. Of course not one of them was a daily driver or saw more than 5k miles total. My Jeep Grand Cherokee (daily driver) has been completely reliable, zero issues but I don’t keep my daily driver cars past warranty as a general rule. Quick lease, in and out.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Whatever I get will be a daily driver kept beyond its factory warranty.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
Whatever I get will be a daily driver kept beyond its factory warranty.
For the most part Porsche builds good cars. Just about every generation and various models have had some quirks though, some minor, some not so minor. Porsche often goes out of its way to make a customer happy but that’s not to say they will necessarily fix something that is not a common issue for that particular model outside the warranty period. You can always get an extended warranty for a piece of mind or simply budget in the a Porsche WILL be much more expensive overall in maintenance and repairs if and when they come up.

I would suggest you take a look at the Audi Q5 or SQ5. The Macan shares the platform with it as does the Cayenne with the VW Toureg. The Audi is a bit less $$$ to purchase, maintain and just a bit less on repairs but not by much.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 PM

I’ll throw this in as well. I’ve owned 3 different generation X5, a Cayenne GTS, an X5M and at least 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees as well as other suvs like a few of the Toyota 4-Runner.

Sure, the Porsche and BMW may be the prettier, sportier, more prestigious versions and of course personal preference and budgets will dictate which one prefers to drive as a daily.

I’ll just leave it here though, a Jeep has never let me down in the nastiest blizzards and ice storms with its 4WD prowess and I’ve been in at least 3 in the past 5 years and probably a few dozens in all the years. The Jeep is simply unstoppable.

Can’t say the same about the other suvs I’ve mentioned above... Forget about a blizzard and driving a Porsche, BMW or even an Audi unless it has serious snow tires. I’ve been there many times... it wasn’t pretty. None of what I just said may apply to your situation, just thought I’d point that out if that is important.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I’ll throw this in as well. I’ve owned 3 different generation X5, a Cayenne GTS, an X5M and at least 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees as well as other suvs like a few of the Toyota 4-Runner.

Sure, the Porsche and BMW may be the prettier, sportier, more prestigious versions and of course personal preference and budgets will dictate which one prefers to drive as a daily.

I’ll just leave it here though, a Jeep has never let me down in the nastiest blizzards and ice storms with its 4WD prowess and I’ve been in at least 3 in the past 5 years and probably a few dozens in all the years. The Jeep is simply unstoppable.

Can’t say the same about the other suvs I’ve mentioned above... Forget about a blizzard and driving a Porsche, BMW or even an Audi unless it has serious snow tires. I’ve been there many times... it wasn’t pretty. None of what I just said may apply to your situation, just thought I’d point that out if that is important.

I agree Serge, the Jeep is the do everything , go anywhere , practical and comfortable SUV, then again they founded the whole SUV movement. Get it with a hemi.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 PM

Porsche will expect one to fork over between $400-500 for an oil change on the Macan by the way. Annual maintenance runs about $1200 on the average. To some it may be well worth it, some may be unaware of what they are getting into and some (my case) are simply tired of the game.

I paid exactly $30 for a Mazda MX5 oil change this morning at my local dealer and laughed out loud on the way home as I recalled bringing in the various Ferrari's for an oil change and handed over $900 each and every time for "annual fluids" as they call it... I'm so way over that nonsense.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-11-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
You put much mileage on your Porsche Tom? I’ve owned a bakers dozen of them and I agree, they were all trouble free. Of course not one of them was a daily driver or saw more than 5k miles total. My Jeep Grand Cherokee (daily driver) has been completely reliable, zero issues but I don’t keep my daily driver cars past warranty as a general rule. Quick lease, in and out.

Probably around 3k a year on the P-car, but not nearly what I put on the Jeep - 25k a year more or less. What’s interesting about the P-car is it doesn’t ever seem to change. It’s like I bought it yesterday.

The 2015 JGC I have now is probably the best ‘all arounder’ I’ve owned. I will get another one without hesitation. All the Japanese cars I’ve owned I sold way before they wore out - because they were boring.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I agree Serge, the Jeep is the do everything , go anywhere , practical and comfortable SUV, then again they founded the whole SUV movement. Get it with a hemi.
Not sure about the need for a Hemi or the 707hp Jeep and I have not done much off-roading myself but I know this for a fact... Where the hard core Jeep crowd goes off-roading, one will not find many other brand SUV and especially the Porsche or BMW as they are not built for that.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Probably around 3k a year on the P-car, but not nearly what I put on the Jeep - 25k a year more or less. What’s interesting about the P-car is it doesn’t ever seem to change. It’s like I bought it yesterday.

The 2015 JGC I have now is probably the best ‘all arounder’ I’ve owned. I will get another one without hesitation. All the Japanese cars I’ve owned I sold way before they wore out - because they were boring.
Agreed, no more Japanese SUVs for me either. I still like the BMW X5 but every time I think about what surprises the winter may bring and recall my "adventures" in the X5 and especially the Cayenne GTS which nearly damn killed me in the snow... Well, lets just say my JGC in the driveway makes me and my wife smile. The "Hippo" as we lovingly call it, has earned our trust to get us home safe.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-11-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:48 PM

Serge I think many agree with you about the jeep but the thread was started to ask about the Macan so getting back to the original post. The Macan has been out several years now and is due for an update, it was the first SUV out to offer PDK which made it feel more like a 4 door sports car then many SUV. The Macan is not really a SUV, its more of a car / modern day small station wagon as you can not go off road, its not very good in the snow either (one of the reasons I sold mine) but the back seat is ok for a child or if you do put a adult in the back seat the front passengers have to really move there seats forward. The trunk ie hatchback area is not very big either. The Macan is over priced for what it is.