AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 05-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Semi-audiophile

Not with all the OT I'm doing lately . . .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
For what it's worth, at least you are hearing differences with the different tubes, and that is what is most important, you have something to go by. Lot's of people do not hear these things. Enjoy!
I try not to listen critically, just normally. It works for me, I think. And I have good ears, probably because I don't blast my music. Standard volume for the 2300 is set to 42 (out of 100); my previous preamp (the solid-state Audio Research LS3) was always on 8 (out of 30 steps; 10 on occasion). So the system is turned up higher than before, relatively speaking, but it's not too much since the 2300 doesn't play as loudly.

And when I get to spend real time with the system, I generally do enjoy!
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 05-21-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:56 AM
Semi-audiophile

I am thinking about something. This whole tube thing may come down to how I define my system. It's two-way and two-channel. If I think of it as a stereo first, I might leave the GLs in. If I consider it a HT, then I might put the JJs back in. When I have company (infrequent at this point), the emphasis is on HT, so that's a big factor.

With the JJs, I can play the system louder with no fatigue or hard/bright highs; they're more forgiving of such recordings. With the GLs, I get that wider dynamic range, but so far find I have to turn things down a bit to listen more easily because the upper frequencies seemed too hard/bright with some material. The GLs have 61:43 on them, so maybe the top will smooth out still. And, perhaps, one person's "rolled off" is another's "smooth."

Last edited by prepress; 05-24-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:49 AM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, a question. Does anyone have experience with Black Sable Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes? If so, how did they seem to you?

I put this out there because I looked at Tube Depot's comparison and, according to that, the Sovteks compare favorably ("on paper," as it were) to Gold Lions. The GLs should be quieter at high volumes, but the Sovteks rate higher in headroom, sensitivity, slightly higher in signal gain, and are even with the GLs in tonal balance. Another interesting note is that the GLs are described as having a "faithful" low-end response, whereas the Sovteks are described as having a "full" low-end response (the JJ's low end is described similarly, and that is why my curiosity is piqued). Plus, they're cryogenically treated.

The Sovteks are about $5 more than the GLs, but may be worth a shot. Still, real experience is better than the ratings, which is why I asked if someone here has heard them. I said I had no intentions of becoming a bonafide tube roller, but this may put me on that path if I'm not careful.

Last edited by prepress; 06-05-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:04 PM

If you want a really good website with info on just about any audio tube ever made check out the Brent Jessee tube website.
I have a growing collection of tubes, both power and signal tubes. Some are new modern tubes that came with amp's that I purchased but most are older used tubes that I have scavenged from flea markets,yard sales and tube buddies. I have never failed to improve the sound of any amp or preamp section by replacing the newer reissued tubes with better vintage tubes. There is a big difference between the two.
The site I referenced gives a run down of all the different types for each tube model.
I run vintage GE 6L6GC tubes in the power section of my MC 40 mono blocks and Telefunken signal tubes in all sockets except the 12BH7, they are vintage Sylvania's.
I could not be happier with the sound of my Mac's.
My Denise Had Inspire SE Fire Bottle amp came with reissue KT66's tubes and I pulled them after listening to them. Replaced with the closest thing I had, some 6L6GC RCA black plates, what a difference! Rolled in some GT EL34 and ran them for a few days, replaced with some vintage Mullard EL34 tubes. What a difference!
With the class of gear that you have, you owe it to yourself to look beyond new production tubes. The nice thing about small signal tubes is that they can last a very, very long time. It's not uncommon to find a vintage Mac tube amp with the OEM tubes still in it.

BillWojo
Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Ok, a question. Does anyone have experience with Black Sable Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes? If so, how did they seem to you?

The Sovteks are about $5 more than the GLs, but may be worth a shot. Still, real experience is better than the ratings, which is why I asked if someone here has heard them. I said I had no intentions of becoming a bonafide tube roller, but this may put me on that path if I'm not careful.
Charles.......What is the difference in reading a description of performance on a tube seller's web page and reading someone's comment on a forum? You are no closer to understanding the sound of a tube than you were before you went searching. Until you put tubes in your amplifier and listen to them with your ears in your system you will not know squat about how they sound. Spend some money, purchase the tubes you're interested in, make your comparisons, and sell the ones that don't suit your taste. Quizzing people for their opinions will not give you a definitive answer.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......What is the difference in reading a description of performance on a tube seller's web page and reading someone's comment on a forum? You are no closer to understanding the sound of a tube than you were before you went searching. Until you put tubes in your amplifier and listen to them with your ears in your system you will not know squat about how they sound. Spend some money, purchase the tubes you're interested in, make your comparisons, and sell the ones that don't suit your taste. Quizzing people for their opinions will not give you a definitive answer.
Ok, but I don't expect a definitive answer based on others' opinions. I agree completely that the ultimate answer is in listening to them myself. But gathering information is what I do to help in decisions (especially in unfamiliar territory such as tubes), and the information and opinion around here is better than I might get elsewhere. The overwhelmingly positive comments regarding the C2300 on this site is a major reason I gave it consideration, but the audition is why I bought it. Similar scenario with the Gold Lions displacing the JJ ECC803s tubes (which I was content with). Majority opinion here was an influence in my giving them a shot; my opinion, however, is what will keep them in the 2300 or remove them.

As for the Sovteks, I passed up a sale last week in order to spend time getting a better take on them. I'll check the Brent Jessee site, possibly look at other sources, then decide. I sense some weariness with the process, and am thinking this will wrap up at some point, meaning I might just put the JJs back into the 2300 and call it a day, try the Sovteks hoping they can provide the best of both worlds (JJs and GLs), or go after that C52.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bILLwOJO View Post
If you want a really good website with info on just about any audio tube ever made check out the Brent Jessee tube website.
I have a growing collection of tubes, both power and signal tubes. Some are new modern tubes that came with amp's that I purchased but most are older used tubes that I have scavenged from flea markets,yard sales and tube buddies. I have never failed to improve the sound of any amp or preamp section by replacing the newer reissued tubes with better vintage tubes. There is a big difference between the two.
The site I referenced gives a run down of all the different types for each tube model.
I run vintage GE 6L6GC tubes in the power section of my MC 40 mono blocks and Telefunken signal tubes in all sockets except the 12BH7, they are vintage Sylvania's.
I could not be happier with the sound of my Mac's.
My Denise Had Inspire SE Fire Bottle amp came with reissue KT66's tubes and I pulled them after listening to them. Replaced with the closest thing I had, some 6L6GC RCA black plates, what a difference! Rolled in some GT EL34 and ran them for a few days, replaced with some vintage Mullard EL34 tubes. What a difference!
With the class of gear that you have, you owe it to yourself to look beyond new production tubes. The nice thing about small signal tubes is that they can last a very, very long time. It's not uncommon to find a vintage Mac tube amp with the OEM tubes still in it.

BillWojo
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm an inveterate researcher, so I'm planning to check the website out.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:11 AM
Semi-audiophile

Due to a generous offer by AA member rnrmf1971, a pair of Psvanes are on their way for me to audition. I have read mostly good things about these, and so we'll see what they're about in my setup.

And I've come to the conclusion that, dual-purpose though my setup is, I'll be focusing more on how the Psvanes (or any tube) perform in HT mode. When I entertain, it's video: concert DVDs and BDs, and the occasional movie. So the usual demo suspects will be out when the Psvanes go in.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 AM
Semi-audiophile

The Psvanes arrived yesterday afternoon. I installed them later, removing the Gold Lions and, after dealing with a PC sag (again), fired up the system.

First impression after 1:57 of listening: the Psvanes were good. I played some of my usual demo material, and on Yes' "Heart of the Sunrise" from Yes Live at Montreau the bass was reminiscent of the JJ ECC803s, weight included. Whether it's the same or not I'm not sure. The JJs might have a tad more, due to their low end being more forward; I'd need to put the JJs back in to tell. But it was very satisfying. One difference with every other tube I've used so far was Steve Howe's guitar; on this track the guitar was more prominent, as if it had been pulled forward or turned up in the mix. The top end wasn't as hard-sounding as with the GLs, something I took note of as well. Not as smooth as the JJs perhaps, but I didn't feel the need to turn down the volume to compensate. Here and there I was more aware of the keyboards too, as the lines running under the music were more apparent at times. On "Your Move/I've Seen All Good People" the organ chords before the transition were satisfying though not quite as hefty as I remember them with the JJs. Again, i might need to re-install the JJs to be sure.

On "Them Changes" from Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood Live at Madison Square Garden the kick drum was great, no complaints. Again, it seemed Steve Winwood's rhythm guitar was a bit more present under Clapton's solo. And with Apache from Jeff Beck's Rock n' Roll Party the opening drumbeat was nice and full, leading edge easy to make out. Other tracks were pretty solid too.

So a good first impression for the Psvanes. But I will still give them the customary 25–30 hours before making final decisions.