Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Life is beautiful

Starting the box set that arrived from the US this week:

Carl Nielsen - The Symphonies & Concertos
New York Philharmonic, Alan Gilbert
Nikolaj Znaider, violin
Robert Langevin, flute
Anthony McGill, clarinet

I only had the 4th and 5th (with Sakari Oramo) before, so I don't have much experience with Nielsen.
But I can already see why he's called national composer number one in Denmark.

SACD 1 has Symphony 3 & 2 on it.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 01-13-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Starting the box set that arrived from the US this week:

Carl Nielsen - The Symphonies & Concertos
New York Philharmonic, Alan Gilbert
Nikolaj Znaider, violin
Robert Langevin, flute
Anthony McGill, clarinet

I only had the 4th and 5th (with Sakari Oramo) before, so I don't have much experience with Nielsen.
But I can already see why he's called national composer number one in Denmark.

SACD 1 has Symphony 3 & 2 on it.

SACD 2: Symphony 4 & 1
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Life is beautiful

Comparing Symphony 4 now to this recording:

It is different, but both are highly enjoyable.
Maybe the soundstage in the Dacapo SACD is a bit larger, and the clarity in the Bis SACD a bit better (I can differentiate the instruments a little better).
Other accents by the 2 conductors give other insights into this symphony.
Oramo conducts at a faster pace.

Last edited by bart; 01-13-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Default John Williams: At The Movies

John Williams: At The Movies
Dallas Winds, Jerry Junkin

Very nice performances of these likable tunes by John Williams (who doesn't enjoy hearing the Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back?). The wind orchestra sounds so good that I don't miss the string section. The recorded sound is dynamic, natural and realistic. A fun SACD from Keith Johnson and Reference Recordings.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Life is beautiful

Hugo Wolf - Italienisches Liederbuch
Diana Damrau
Jonas Kaugmann
Helmut Deutsch

Qobuz 24/96

Highly enjoyable new release with 2 top voices.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Life is beautiful

Offenbach - Colorature
Jodie Devos, soprano
Münchner Rundfunkorchester, Laurent Campellone
Qobuz 24/96

Belgian soprano Devos scored well in the Queen Elisabeth Competition for Voice a couple of years ago.
I didn't expect much of this album, but was curious.
In fact, these are quite enjoyable pieces and Jodie Devos shines.

The elegant Jodie Devos puts her talents to work in service of a fairly unknown known side of Offenbach, taking on several somewhat-forgotten pieces which call for very specific voices, known in Offenbach’s day by names such as "chanteuse d’agilité", "chanteuse à roulade" or "première chanteuse légère". Of course, everyone knows the tune of the doll Olympia from Tales of Hoffmann, or the telling of the death of Eurydice in Orpheus in the Underworld, but the substantial repertoire of the composer's smaller pieces (which he generally referred to as "operettas" to distinguish them from his larger works, his famous opéras bouffe) contains a number of virtuoso arias for coloratura soprano. In them, we hear the vocal imitation of the jeu perlé piano technique or of Paganini's "flying staccato", in which unstinting bravura hides the real difficulty behind something apparently easy. But the difference from many bel canto composers, who merely show off vocals and melody, is that Offenbach knows how to charge these things with emotion, with textual significance, with personality, and with contrasts: simple mechanics never take precedence over diversity. This record allows us to discover a neat little collection of sadly little-known works which are well overdue a return to the French stage. © SM/Qobuz
Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Life is beautiful

Boccherini - Sonate per il violoncello - Vol. 2
Les Basses Réunies, Bruno Cocset
Qobuz 24/96

Almost everything this cellist has recorded is of the highest quality.
He has a very recognisable way of playing also.

Last edited by bart; 01-16-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Jodie Devos
Caroline Meng
Quatuor Giardini
- Il Était Une Fois
Qobuz 24/96

I listened again to the other album of Jodie Devos earlier this evening, and it left me wanting more.
This is another highly enjoyable album, with another great voice, Caroline Meng.
The piano quartet makes the singing very transparent.
I like it!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 PM

The "Hammerklavier"--excellent performance and recording.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Haydn: String Quartet, Op. 76

First up this morning...

Haydn:
String Quartet, Op. 76 No. 1 in G major
String Quartet, Op. 76 No. 2 in D minor 'Fifths'
String Quartet, Op. 76 No. 3 in C major 'Emperor'
The Lindsays

Very nice chamber music to start off the day. I like this music and the recording is one of the best I've heard for a quartet.