AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 AM

This was just the review I was looking for! Glad to hear it works for you!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones View Post
This was just the review I was looking for! Glad to hear it works for you!
Very unique experience for me today. These cables are a must with Shindo IMHO.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 AM

The A23 speaker cables work well with several tube amps. I had a pretty good synergy with my Air Tight ATM1 as well. When it comes to transistor based amps, the 'magic' is somewhat gone, especially when using very transparent gear such my CELLO mono block Encore 150.

The IC from A23 are not that great, especially the entry level model. Shindo's interconnects are much better up-to my experience.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Ok, finally settled in to give the A23 cables a listen. The system has been on for the past 5 hours or so with the new cables. Just got through one of my late night favorites, Ken Peplowski and the New York Trio "Stardust" record. I know this one very well.

I don't like to listen to anything too complicated when listening to new stuff because if there is too much stuff going on, it is hard to concentrate and pick out the elements to evaluate. The nice simple jazz trio/quartet or similar works great for me.

I've been using my "go to" standards, the Transparent and my older Zebra cables that seemed to have worked with everything else so far. Nothing too fancy but they are both very musical and get 95% of the job done 100% of the time.

The A23 cables are definitely in another league in terms of synergy with my Shindo gear. While I instantly heard the more spacious soundstage before I could even zero in on the instruments, tonal balance and timbre, I noticed how I was drawn to the bass lines setting the rhythm like never before and immediately noticed an interesting phenomenon. If before, this particular record was very pleasant to listen to, I mean well recorded, good quality pressing, musical content that I enjoy, I don't think I've ever been as drawn in before. The best way I can desribe what I heard this evening is as follows.

Bear with me as this is something new to me and I have not quite experienced this before.... I've obviously heard the same instruments on the same record many, many times before, beyond a slight smoothing effect, softer, more delicate shimmer of the cymbals being brushed lightly, the slightly better articulation of the bass notes, the piano notes that seem to linger and decay just a tiny bit longer as the new ones take their place in the significance, hierarchy and progression of music, the reedy, more colorful and more emotional saxophone or clarinet, there was for once, a much more meaningful and interdependent relationship of all the instruments to each other.

For once I think I got much more of the meaning, emotion and message out of the same tracks of music on the same record! This kind of blows me away as it is not something I have picked up on before while auditioning cables of any kind. If before the instruments typically did not do much more than occupied same space and time in my room as they left the speakers, as impressive as they often were with various gear, they are now intertwined in a much more logical, organized and meaningful way that makes me understand the music much better. WOW, this is heavy stuff for sure!

I have to do much more listening obviously but I can tell you this already, don't buy these cables if you are looking to impress yourself with a new found level of some HIFI trickery, buy them if you want to hear your records for the first time like never before and want to lose yourself in your favorite music completely, because that's exactly what's happening to me right now! I have no idea how they work with other gear but there is some serious, serious synergy going on with my Shindo gear.

I seriously doubt that the cables themselves are responsible, no, I think Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium 23 simply came across the perfect balance or combination of materials that allow the Shindo gear to show it's true colors. I've already noticed how much of a difference the Shindo ICs made before, I've noticed how the RGPC power conditioner simply did not gel well with Shindo, they were much better straight into the wall for whatever reason. There is obviously something going on with Ken Shindo's products that is very different from the norm and I am not going to question it as I am beyond impressed and happy.

Back to listening! This is going to be one of those really late nights again!
Excellent! Couldn't say it better myself. Sounds like you really grasped onto what they are doing within the system.

They will continue to develop over the course of about 50 hours or so, as they settle in. You are in for even more of a treat.......

-M
Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
The IC from A23 are not that great, especially the entry level model. Shindo's interconnects are much better up-to my experience.
It's ok not to like something but a blanket statement like that is unfair for folks that have not heard the cable.

I've never heard from any of my hundreds of customers who own the cable that they are 'not that great.'

They are simply a little different than the Shindo interconnects.

There are only two cables - Shindo and A23 - that are designed to work specifically with Shindo elecronics in mind. Not only in only the parameter of sonics, but also in terms of the important physical connection, with the use of low mass connectors.

The Auditorium 23 interconnect cables are beautiful hand made products from Keith @ A23 and if you enjoy the speaker wire you would appreciate the interconnects as well.

They are designed to work within the context of a well balanced system.

Like Serge is finding out with the speaker wire in his setup.

-Matt
Old 08-11-2011, 04:36 PM

I really mean the cheapest A23 interconnect, not the more expensive model that I don't know.

I did pay to buy the cheaper model and had to ask for a refund after some time. The Shindo IC was used between the CD player and the Shindo preamp while the A23 IC was used between the Monbrison and the Air Tight amplifier. A simple CANARE cable already did better! Sorry this is my experience and it is also fair to mention it.

Maybe because the system was not all Shindo. Or maybe only the more expensive A23 IC is doing the real good things. You might have experience with these two types of interconnects.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
I really mean the cheapest A23 interconnect, not the more expensive model that I don't know.

I did pay to buy the cheaper model and had to ask for a refund after some time. The Shindo IC was used between the CD player and the Shindo preamp while the A23 IC was used between the Monbrison and the Air Tight amplifier. A simple CANARE cable already did better! Sorry this is my experience and it is also fair to mention it.

Maybe because the system was not all Shindo. Or maybe only the more expensive A23 IC is doing the real good things. You might have experience with these two types of interconnects.
That's fine, everyone has different experiences--

I heard from reliable sources that the cable you heard, that you thought was an A23 interconnect, was actually not, and not a cable put in
production. The current A23 cable put in production from Auditorium 23 is a winner.

Sincerely,
Matt

Last edited by pitch perfect; 08-15-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Serge,

I just ordered a set of the A23 spkr cables myself along with a pair of the Shindo IC's...Your post encouraged me to pull the trigger even though I was planning to wait a little while. Share my thoughts soon although I doubt they'll be anywhere near as eloquent as yours.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
Serge,

I just ordered a set of the A23 spkr cables myself along with a pair of the Shindo IC's...Your post encouraged me to pull the trigger even though I was planning to wait a little while. Share my thoughts soon although I doubt they'll be anywhere near as eloquent as yours.
Jayson, awesome! Looking forward to your impressions.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 PM

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on the A23's vs other popular cables like WW, Kimber and Transparent.