AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 AM
From the BAT cave ...

sibelius, no worries there. This site is cordial, honest and tolerant. There are, therefore, differences of opinion and differing experiences, but no "fanboy" attacks.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:37 AM

I don't have the latest Stereophile yet (I get it electronically via Zinio instead of paper subscription) but i believe almost all of Art Dudley's "listening" columns are archived on the sterophile web site. Just peruse through the archives and you can see his pictures and comments about Shindo gear that he has reviewed. His columns got me interested in Shindo in the first place.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion

Last edited by sibelius; 08-07-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius View Post
I don't have the latest Stereophile yet (I get it electronically via Zinio instead of paper subscription) but i believe almost all of Art Dudley's "listening" columns are archived on the sterophile web site. Just peruse through the archives and you can see his pictures and comments about Shindo gear that he has reviewed. His columns got me interested in Shindo in the first place.
Thank you. I've read everything Art has written up to this point about Shindo. Just wanted to read what the new stuff might be.

He waxes quite poetically about it.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Good point.

Still wish I knew which issue Alberto is referring to.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I was attending to my other family :-).

I am not sure what the issue number is (I don't have it with me) but it's the very latest one, I got it in the mail a couple of days ago.

Alberto
Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Thank you. I've read everything Art has written up to this point about Shindo. Just wanted to read what the new stuff might be.

He waxes quite poetically about it.
I agree with you on his writing. IMO he's one of the best audio critics out there. I particularly appreciate his emphasis on the emotional connection to the music rather than wasting lots of space on hifi jargon.

Can't wait to read his impressions of the GM70 amp. When I was at Pitch Perfect auditioning preamps I also listened to 4 amps and the GM70 was the one that really floored me.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
I agree that a dedicated Shindo forum would be a nice place for owners and prospective owners to congregate. My only reservation is that I'd hate for it to become purely a "fan boy" place. I think it would be more interesting to have varied and critical opinion than just a place where owners come to pat themselves on the back.
"Fan boy" is a bit of a negative term. It implies blind "puppy love" and immaturity, so I also hope that we don't end up with that.

At this point, I don't think most/any of us qualify as "fan boys". "Grizzled audio veterans who - after many years and dozens of components/brands have found a 'house-sound' they REALLY like" - is more like it.

In my case, and in line with this forum, I prefer the term aficionado - a term that implies a certain degree of sophistication, maturity, experience and selectivity. We like what we like not because we don't know any better, but because we've been around the block a few times and do know better - we are in a position to make meaningful comparisons.

Very few brands I've owned have turned me into a true aficionado. I rarely talk about the brands and components that haven't struck a chord with me and were returned/sold shortly after acquisition –*but there have been (over the years) several dozen turntables, CD players, cartridges, preamps, amps, integrated amps, speakers and cables that I've owned and did not like. I hate to rain on other people's parade, so I keep those opinions to myself and only write about the stuff I really like.

And the stuff I really like, I tend to keep a looooooong time - the ultimate vote of confidence IMO.

Alberto
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 AM

I put "Fan boy" in quotes because as us grizzled audio veterans know, 95% of all reviews (from critics and owners) are almost uniformly positive. That seems to contradict the actual actions of most audiophiles who cycle through gear pretty readily in search of greener grass. Agree with you 100% that the ultimate vote of confidence is staying power. Not having upgradeitus is wonderful for both our mental health and wallets .

Like many of us here, I think Shindo gear is something special. If I did not believe so, I would not have voted with my hard earned $'s and would not be here. However, I actually hope this forum attracts some long term Shindo owners who can provide views into what Shindo gear they prefer and which they passed on and why. I have no problem with voicing negative (or non-rave) comments as long as reasons are articulated and they are directed at equipment and not people. I'd find that a refreshing change of pace.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Like many of us here, I think Shindo gear is something special. If I did not believe so, I would not have voted with my hard earned $'s and would not be here. However, I actually hope this forum attracts some long term Shindo owners who can provide views into what Shindo gear they prefer and which they passed on and why. I have no problem with voicing negative (or non-rave) comments as long as reasons are articulated and they are directed at equipment and not people. I'd find that a refreshing change of pace.
Great point Sibelius. On that note, I will say that - as sweet and delicious the Montille (EL84) is, the Cortese is - for my tastes, my room and my speakers - the amp I've been looking for all my life. As I mentioned in my review, it was love at first note. It was as if the amp had been voiced exactly for me.

This is no exaggeration.

If anything, I did not think that combination of detail and sweetness, for lack of better terms, was possible. At most, it was a "platonic ideal" that I did not believe would ever materialize - at least not in my listening room.

Having said that, I am no audio hoarder (I have sold 10x more gears that I've kept) but, to use your words, I am not going to "pass on" the Montille. I plan to keep it and use it in another system. Same with the Auriges.

Based on your impressive list of equipment, it looks like you haven't passed on many Shindos yourself .

Alberto
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Great point Sibelius. On that note, I will say that - as sweet and delicious the Montille (EL84) is, the Cortese is - for my tastes, my room and my speakers - the amp I've been looking for all my life. As I mentioned in my review, it was love at first note. It was as if the amp had been voiced exactly for me.

This is no exaggeration.

If anything, I did not think that combination of detail and sweetness, for lack of better terms, was possible. At most, it was a "platonic ideal" that I did not believe would ever materialize - at least not in my listening room.

Having said that, I am no audio hoarder (I have sold 10x more gears that I've kept) but, to use your words, I am not going to "pass on" the Montille. I plan to keep it and use it in another system. Same with the Auriges.

Based on your impressive list of equipment, it looks like you haven't passed on many Shindos yourself .

Alberto

Thank you for your input - much appreciated.

It's been a about a year and a half since my extended audition at Pitch Perfect. While the purpose of the auditon was to choose a preamp (went in thinking about Monbrison, ended up over my budget with Masetto) I did have a chance to hear 4 amps. Montrachet, Haut Brion, Cortese and GM70. The one that I fell in love with was the GM70. Unfortunately, the price tag was well above my means but I left with that sound resonating in my head. I did an extensive search trying to find all commercial sellers of GM70 amps. At the time it was LAM, Shindo, Dehavilland and this other company I never heard of called SAC Thailand. Found out SAC Thailand makes their own tranny's under the brand name Silk. Better yet, I could actually afford one. Ended up placing an order. How is it compared to the Shindo? The build quality is very good but not at the Shindo level. The Shindo GM70 also in my memory is more nuanced. However, all GM70's use the same tube (one factory in Russia made them all) so the tonal quality is the same. What is it about the GM70 that I like? It has an immediacy and "you are there" quality that exceeds that of all the other SET's I've heard. It's a 45 on extreme steroids. It also has enough power to drive a wider array of speakers than the lower SET models. I tend to "hoard" tube amps and love all of my SET's. However, if forced to pick one it would probably be the GM70.

I went a while with just having a Shindo Preamp but kept hearing about that Shindo "synergy". Finally saw someone unloading a Montille on Audiogon and was lucky enough to pick one up. Really like the little guy. For 15 watts it has a lot more oomph and swing than I expected. For those of you with Shindo sticker shock, I think a Montille is a great way to get "in the door".

Late last year I upgraded my preamp from the Masseto to the VR. Now that I've had an extended time with it, I would like to go back to Pitch Perfect some time this fall and re-audition the amps with the VR to see if my impressions of any of them have changed from my first go around.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Tonight I managed to have a nice chat with my local Shindo Importer. He has no demo to listen to but get me into a customer's house if necessary.

He recommended I consider the Giscours Preamp and the Lafon GM70 Monoblocks with a pair of Tannoy Westminsters.

Here's a photo of this set up but with Cessaro Horns

Thoughts about this combo of shindo stuff?

howie

Last edited by howiebrou; 08-17-2011 at 09:43 AM.