AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 04-01-2019, 04:39 PM

Default New Audio Room- Need Lots Of Help!

So I got the go ahead to create an audio room in the basement. Actually, my 802D3s are being evicted from the family room, but I prefer to put a positive spin on things.

I would appreciate any and all input as I am way out of my depth here, even with where I want to place the speakers.

I plan on consolidating my family room and office systems. I will need to decide what to keep and what to sell.

The room is roughly 16 by 16 with just over an 8’ sheet rock ceiling. There are 2 support posts that can’t be moved.

So initially my main objectives would be:

How to dampen the sound of the boiler and dehumidifier. I need to install pocket doors or something along those lines to close off the open portions of the room.

Air conditioning.

Orientation of the room, as far as speaker placement and direction.

Electrical considerations

ROOM TREATMENTS. This is important as I am hoping I can use the 802D3s. I do have concerns that they will over power the room.

I am sure I am missing a whole slew of items. I have enclosed a few pictures.

Thanks

IMG_2695.JPGIMG_2699.JPGIMG_2697.JPGIMG_2696.JPGIMG_2698.JPG
Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Racing Hoopties

A room with dimensions that are multiples of each other like 16 x 16 x 8 is going to have some serious resonances and is going to need help from a professional. ~35 Hz and about 71Hz look particularly bad.

Can you move your family room into this room?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 04-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
A room with dimensions that are multiples of each other like 16 x 16 x 8 is going to have some serious resonances and is going to need help from a professional. ~35 Hz and about 71Hz look particularly bad.

Can you move your family room into this room?

Oh if I could just move the family room. That suggestion could lead to a war of the roses 🤣.

I will see if I can get a professional to visit my home. That is, once I find one. There are not too many in my neck of the woods.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Racing Hoopties

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Thinking out loud and I am sure others more experienced than I will jump in but perhaps stand mounted speakers with sub(s) might give you location flexibility that would help you develop a smooth and musical room.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Agree, the front ported 5T's and a pair of subs might be the best bet among your current speakers in that setting.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks. I guess I should consider smaller monitors. I do have stands for the 805D3s. They are front firing as well. Room correction might help as well, but I have no experience with that.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:29 PM

I agree the 802s will overpower that room plus add to sonic inefficiencies with node pts. I have always preferred stand mounts in average size rooms with their accurate soundstaging. I use my 805D3s and DB1D in a room that is 25 x 20 x18 and they do very well.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 PM

Another vote for the stand mounts. I will have to set them up and see how it sounds. I should have my plans finalized shortly. I’m waiting on my air conditioning quote. I still need to get a local expert in for a consultation.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 PM

Lars-

Well...off the top of a junkyard dog's head...

1. it is my understanding that concrete floors make for great audio rooms.
2. if your breaker box is in the basement, separate circuits or even a dedicated sub panel are more easily achieved.
3. Is A/c really needed in the basement?
4. dehumidifiers can be shut off while listening. Are you doing stand alone units or something more potent, similar to an a/c unit?
5. for doors, consider solid core.
6. Walls can be insulated but sound travels through floor joists/wallstuds so perhaps a false wall or double sheet rock?
7. placing damping pads under appliances (furnace/dehumitifier) will quiet them. Check out Supply house on Long Island.
8. Pick and choose but take all with a grain of salt.

good Luck with this Project1
Keep us informed!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:17 AM

Thanks John.

I am reconsidering the A/C, at least initially. But I do think it will be necessary as it exits to the garage. So it is not truly underground. I would install a mini split system.

I am having a sub panel installed. My 200 amp panel is full. I was just planning on adding a couple of dedicated 20 amp lines, but it looks I should be thinking about adding two sub panels so one can be strictly for audio. I'm not sure if I have room in the garage for 2 sub panels.

One thing I have learned already: sub panels and 20 amp lines are less expensive than I originally thought....at least in comparison to the rest of this zaniness.