AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2016, 09:14 PM
jfray's Avatar
jfray jfray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,916
Default Masters Process (Amati Futuras)

I recently had the Masters speaker placement process performed on my Amati Futuras. Originally I had placed the speakers as best I could but with fairly poor results (I did not know that Dan had a great post below and that would have helped a lot but if possible get an expert to do this). The sound stage was not well defined and the bass was very thin which required me to push the REL G1 to compensate. My room lacked the holographic imaging that I had experience in my other house with the same components. Needless to say I have been worried about this room and since we just built this house there are no plans to move! Fortunately David Ellington lives close by and agreed to come over and setup the Futuras again (he did this process in my old house). I invited Jim "Trek737" over to watch David in action and everyone arrived around 9:00 or so...... we talked for a while but then got to business. Thru the day Jim and I asked many questions and David was awesome, it is easy to see when someone truly loves what they do. The entire process took several hours and the results are absolutely incredible. I can't even describe all the benefits. The sound stage is extremely well defined as well as the musical notes no longer smear together. The bass is INSANE and without the G1 the Futuras are producing notes in the low 20 Hz range. They now effortlessly fill the room with deep rich fast bass with punch and the crazy thing is the drivers are barely working to do it. This for me is the best upgrade investment that I have made other than the Amati Futuras and that is saying a lot!

A warning to many on this forum..... If you don't have your speakers position correctly then you are FLAT not hearing their true potential. All the investments made to upgrade components, cables will not correct the root of the problem. This is a crucial step that can not be skipped or overlooked!

David thanks for spending your Saturday helping me obtain audio NIRVANA.

Below is a link to Dans post and PLEASE try this.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/617307-post30.html
__________________
Josh

Sonus Faber Amati Futura; C52; REL G1; Silenzio; MT5; MC601 [x2];
MC275 MkV; MEN 220; MCD 1100; Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector;
RGPC 1200C

Green items were all purchased used thru Audioaficionado's "The Marketplace" from other members

Red item was purchased new from Audioaficionado member

Last edited by jfray; 05-16-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 PM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 52,954
Default

Josh.......I fully understand how profound the results can be once you have your speakers properly couple to the room, aimed correctly, and time aligned with the proper tilt. It took me the better part of two days to dial in my Amati Anniversario's. I went from originally thinking my speakers were sounding good to knowing I was getting all there was to get from them. Like you, I went from decent bass to astronomical bass that was lightning fast, profoundly rich in timbre and thunderously deep when the source demands it. My soundstage is holographic. There truly is no substitute or shortcut to proper speaker placement in a room. The effort is rewarding beyond your imagination. Kudos to David Ellington for his willingness to help you with his well respected knowledge and expertise to make your sound system deliver its full potential. I am very happy for you. .
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-16-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 PM
755a 755a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 148
Default

This is interesting on so many levels.

First how so many people have no idea what their speakers actual sound like.

Next how bad speakers sound in stores.

But most interestingly to me how many reviews are done when speakers are not placed properly in room. I bet countless reviews would be different if proper placement was done.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 PM
jfray's Avatar
jfray jfray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Josh.......I fully understand how profound the results can be once you have your speakers properly couple to the room, aimed correctly, and time aligned with the proper tilt. It took me the better part of two days to dial in my Amati Anniversario's. I went from originally thinking my speakers were sounding good to knowing I was getting all there was to get from them. Like you, I went from decent bass to astronomical bass that was lightning fast, profoundly rich in timbre and thunderously deep when the source demands it. My soundstage is holographic. There truly is no substitute or shortcut to proper speaker placement in a room. The effort is rewarding beyond your imagination. Kudos to David Ellington for his willingness to help you with his well respected knowledge and expertise to make your sound system deliver its full potential. I am very happy for you. .

Thanks Dan and I can't say enough about David as he is a great person....... This is the best my Futuras have ever sounded, they fill the room with enough base that I am considering selling my REL G1...... it is crazy I know.

Your post on speaker placement is awesome and if it is not a "sticky" you may think about making it one.
__________________
Josh

Sonus Faber Amati Futura; C52; REL G1; Silenzio; MT5; MC601 [x2];
MC275 MkV; MEN 220; MCD 1100; Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector;
RGPC 1200C

Green items were all purchased used thru Audioaficionado's "The Marketplace" from other members

Red item was purchased new from Audioaficionado member

Last edited by jdandy; 05-16-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: corrected addition to quote
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:44 PM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 52,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Thanks Dan and I can't say enough about David as he is a great person....... This is the best my Futuras have ever sounded, they fill the room with enough base that I am considering selling my REL G1...... it is crazy I know.

Your post on speaker placement is awesome and if it is not a "sticky" you may think about making it one.
Josh.......Thanks for making the post a single page URL. It has now been posted in the https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=23993 as Speaker Placement - The Masters Process.

I cannot take credit for the wonderful process. This information was provided to me and I simply made it available for everyone's use.
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by Masterlu; 12-15-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:47 PM
jfray's Avatar
jfray jfray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755a View Post
This is interesting on so many levels.

First how so many people have no idea what their speakers actual sound like.

Next how bad speakers sound in stores.

But most interestingly to me how many reviews are done when speakers are not placed properly in room. I bet countless reviews would be different if proper placement was done.
I agree! I truly believe that many spend large sums of money on speakers but never hear their true potential or the benefits from other upgrades made in the system. I have been a advocate of this process....... In my new room it made all the difference in the world.
__________________
Josh

Sonus Faber Amati Futura; C52; REL G1; Silenzio; MT5; MC601 [x2];
MC275 MkV; MEN 220; MCD 1100; Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector;
RGPC 1200C

Green items were all purchased used thru Audioaficionado's "The Marketplace" from other members

Red item was purchased new from Audioaficionado member
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2016, 10:49 PM
jfray's Avatar
jfray jfray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Josh.......Thanks for making the post a single page URL. It has now been posted in the Index of http://www.audioaficionado.org/techn...-do-index.html as Speaker Placement - The Masters Process.
Dan is the MAN!
__________________
Josh

Sonus Faber Amati Futura; C52; REL G1; Silenzio; MT5; MC601 [x2];
MC275 MkV; MEN 220; MCD 1100; Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector;
RGPC 1200C

Green items were all purchased used thru Audioaficionado's "The Marketplace" from other members

Red item was purchased new from Audioaficionado member
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2016, 02:17 AM
metaphacts's Avatar
metaphacts metaphacts is offline
Lower Provo River, UT
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springville, Utah
Posts: 4,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
I recently had the Masters speaker placement process performed on my Amati Futuras. Originally I had placed the speakers as best I could but with fairly poor results (I did not know that Dan had a great post below and that would have helped a lot but if possible get an expert to do this). The sound stage was not well defined and the bass was very thin which required me to push the REL G1 to compensate. My room lacked the holographic imaging that I had experience in my other house with the same components. Needless to say I have been worried about this room and since we just built this house there are no plans to move! Fortunately David Ellington lives close by and agreed to come over and setup the Futuras again (he did this process in my old house). I invited Jim "Trek737" over to watch David in action and everyone arrived around 9:00 or so...... we talked for a while but then got to business. Thru the day Jim and I asked many questions and David was awesome, it is easy to see when someone truly loves what they do. The entire process took several hours and the results are absolutely incredible. I can't even describe all the benefits. The sound stage is extremely well defined as well as the musical notes no longer smear together. The bass is INSANE and without the G1 the Futuras are producing notes in the low 20 Hz range. They now effortlessly fill the room with deep rich fast bass with punch and the crazy thing is the drivers are barely working to do it. This for me is the best upgrade investment that I have made other than the Amati Futuras and that is saying a lot!

A warning to many on this forum..... If you don't have your speakers position correctly then you are FLAT not hearing their true potential. All the investments made to upgrade components, cables will not correct the root of the problem. This is a crucial step that can not be skipped or overlooked!

David thanks for spending your Saturday helping me obtain audio NIRVANA.

Below is a link to Dans post and PLEASE try this.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/617307-post30.html
Josh,

Glad to hear that David was able to take your Futuras to another level..again.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2016, 03:45 PM
jfray's Avatar
jfray jfray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands, Tx
Posts: 1,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Josh, Glad to hear that David was able to take your Futuras to another level..again. Bill
Bill,

David did and outstanding job......he is just fun to talk to and a wealth of knowledge!
__________________
Josh

Sonus Faber Amati Futura; C52; REL G1; Silenzio; MT5; MC601 [x2];
MC275 MkV; MEN 220; MCD 1100; Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector;
RGPC 1200C

Green items were all purchased used thru Audioaficionado's "The Marketplace" from other members

Red item was purchased new from Audioaficionado member
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 PM
trek737's Avatar
trek737 trek737 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,723
Default

Josh,

Thanks for the invite... I am very excited for you!

It was nice meeting David and watching him fine tune your speakers.

I am looking forward to coming back and listening to those beautiful Amati Futuras with a little bit of David's magic thrown in for good measure!

Congrats...
__________________
Jim

HT Equipment:
Speakers: Aerial Acoustic 20T V2's (L,R), CC5 (C), SW12 Sub (2), SR3 surrounds
Amplifiers: McIntosh MC601 Monoblocks (3), MC452 (1), B&K Reference 2220, 1240
Pre-amp: Anthem D2V
Blu-ray Player: Oppo BDP-103
CD Player: Sony CDP-CX455 400 Disc
Projector: Sony VPL-VW1100ES
Cable: Blue Jean Belden HDMI Cables, Monoprice 12 AWG CL2 Rated 2 Speaker Wire
Internet Music Source: Sonos Player
Gaming: Play Station 3
VCR/DVD Player / Recorder: Panasonic DMR-EZ48V
TV Source: Direct TV
Remote: URC MX-980
RF Receiver: MSC-400 Master System Controller

Galaxy Theater: http://www.audioaficionado.org/gener...tml#post303724

Den Equipment:
Receiver: Denon AVR-3311CI
Amps: B&K 3220,2220
Speakers: Aerial 7B's & soon to be CC3B
Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT100
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT25
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase