AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Ref 10 Phono Cartridge Matching

I am building a system and am down to picking my cartridge. I have the Raidho D3's powered by the Soulution 501's with the Ref 10 Phono. The Raidho D3's have a bit of a pronouncement in the mid bass (60 to 80 hz) so I am looking for something very flat (or even a tad lean) in this frequency range.

I value speed, transparency, neutrality, and dynamics (particularly micro-dynamics). I feel the Goldfinger Statement, Atlas, and PC-1 Supreme are all exceptional in these areas, but am looking for people's experience with them in the bass, mid-bass range when matched with the Ref 10. Also, anyone who can comment on their experience specifically with these carts and the D3s would be appreciated. In essence which of these three would you consider the least full?

The rest of my system include the AS Ascona TT, Graham Elite Arm, and Nordost Odin 1 phono cable. The rest of wires are all Valhalla 1 and 2. Power is all Furutech from Torus wall mount.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by FlexibleAudio; 11-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:06 PM

Hi Paul,

By pure coincidence I got up yesterday (Sunday) morning and decided to put my Goldfinger Statement back into play. I haven't used it for the better part of a year. I'm actually on my second one, wore out the first. It hasn't been on my table for about a year because I bought a Koetsu Coralstone Platinum about a year ago and fell in love with it.

When I switched tables back in April from the SME 30/12 with SME V12 arm to the TECH Das AirForce 2 with Graham Elite arm, I automatically transferred the Coralstone over and have been thoroughly enjoying the combination for the past seven months.

So I set up the Goldfinger on the Elite arm yesterday and sat down to listen to one record as I had a busy day ahead. Well, six hours later I finally got up and started doing some of the stuff I was supposed to be taking care of all day. You want detail, soundstaging, transparency and dynamics that will get you moving to the point where you can't sit still in your chair! How about a deep, gut wrenching, detailed bass without any of the boomy muddiness and slow thick mid bass that I hate. The resolution of this cartridge on this arm is staggering. I'm listening to a Lucinda Williams record as I type this on my iPad. The textures and subtle nuances I'm hearing that weren't there with the Coralstone has me shaking my head.

I can't speak for the other two cartridges you mention but I can tell you the Goldfinger is not moving off this arm for a while. Zero graininess, pure liquid and accuracy and speed of the highest order. I forgot how good it could sound or maybe it's the new combo with the table and arm.

I don't have Raidhos, my speakers are Sonus Faber Fenice. I do have the ARC Ref 10 pre and Ref 10 Phono with Pass Xs 300 amps. All cables are Nordost Odin and I have the Torus 90A panel as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Goldfinger.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:02 PM

Wow Frank very good write-up. My hands are shaking just thinking about it! I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together. I have heard about the phenomenal bass with the GFS. Your report regarding the mid bass's lack of muddiness makes me think it might just work great.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
Wow Frank very good write-up. My hands are shaking just thinking about it! I really appreciate you taking the time to put it together. I have heard about the phenomenal bass with the GFS. Your report regarding the mid bass's lack of muddiness makes me think it might just work great.
It really is superb from top to bottom! I can't believe I went this long without trying it on the Tech DAS. At any rate, I can't stop listening now. Think it's gonna be a long night
Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I'm also looking for a new cartridge. The ZYX UNIverse II has had a solid response from users. Heard it exhibiting excellent frequency balance on a Graham Elite arm and Kronos table with Lamm electronics.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 AM

Hi Frank,

Nice review of the GFS. I would love to hear one sometime. Thanks for posting!

Now there's a possible option for you, Paul!

Best,
Ken
Old 11-03-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I'm also looking for a new cartridge. The ZYX UNIverse II has had a solid response from users. Heard it exhibiting excellent frequency balance on a Graham Elite arm and Kronos table with Lamm electronics.
I have ZYX Uni Premium mounted to Graham Elite with Ref 10 Phono and it sounds marvellous. Tonal palette, speed, soundstage, resolution are really special.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Yes the Universe II should be on my list too. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Any other thought?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Has any one compared the Atlas to the Airtight Supreme??