AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Etunes's Avatar
Etunes Etunes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 75
Default REF 5 and REF Phono 2 SE upgrades.

These upgrades were initially offered in January and every time I inquire they mention having parts availability issues and extend the timeframe to get these done. I'm confused. Does it make sense that they have everything for the REF 5 SE but do not for the upgrades? Has anyone gotten an upgrade from ARC? Thanks for any input kinda frustrated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
SundayNiagara SundayNiagara is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
These upgrades were initially offered in January and every time I inquire they mention having parts availability issues and extend the timeframe to get these done. I'm confused. Does it make sense that they have everything for the REF 5 SE but do not for the upgrades? Has anyone gotten an upgrade from ARC? Thanks for any input kinda frustrated.
Have you contacted ARC? Isn't there a list?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Etunes's Avatar
Etunes Etunes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Yes,

About every 60 days or so. Kalvin is polite but always says the same thing no parts. ARC is well regarded for having every part for every unit they've ever made. I find the sourcing reason strange. I know high class problems. I must endure my amazing REF 5 until the upgrades begin.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM
cmalak's Avatar
cmalak cmalak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
Yes,

About every 60 days or so. Kalvin is polite but always says the same thing no parts. ARC is well regarded for having every part for every unit they've ever made. I find the sourcing reason strange. I know high class problems. I must endure my amazing REF 5 until the upgrades begin.
There was a similar question in another thread and similar reply given after a phone call to ARC. My guess is parts for new units have priority over upgrades as you would expect them to and if new sales are soaking up the majority of parts availability and upgrade orders are building at a fast clip, then the backorder line for the upgrades will keep getting extended. Conjecture on my part but this could be the scenario playing out at the moment.
__________________
Cyril
Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM
microstrip's Avatar
microstrip microstrip is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
There was a similar question in another thread and similar reply given after a phone call to ARC. My guess is parts for new units have priority over upgrades as you would expect them to and if new sales are soaking up the majority of parts availability and upgrade orders are building at a fast clip, then the backorder line for the upgrades will keep getting extended. Conjecture on my part but this could be the scenario playing out at the moment.
A similar situation happened with some upgrades at conrad johnson sometime ago - they did not have a supply of teflon capacitors enough to carry all the upgrades immediately after the release of the new units, as the main priority was wisely the assembly of new units.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Etunes's Avatar
Etunes Etunes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak

There was a similar question in another thread and similar reply given after a phone call to ARC. My guess is parts for new units have priority over upgrades as you would expect them to and if new sales are soaking up the majority of parts availability and upgrade orders are building at a fast clip, then the backorder line for the upgrades will keep getting extended. Conjecture on my part but this could be the scenario playing out at the moment.
Looks like things are looking up. Just heard parts will be arriving mid Oct. I'm sure from everything I'm hearing it will be worth the upgrade and wait. I was more concerned that for some reason they would kill the upgrade program altogether .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM
BillK BillK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 925
Default

FWIW, most businesses work that way when parts are hard to source - new product shipments get priority, mostly because there's a lot more money to be made.

It serves companies well if they don't have a lot of margin on upgrades since it's a customer relations move to offer the upgrades in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 AM
tom tom is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Default

I live in the UK and there is not even a hint of an upgrade from the distributor here yet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
TMcD's Avatar
TMcD TMcD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK
FWIW, most businesses work that way when parts are hard to source - new product shipments get priority, mostly because there's a lot more money to be made.

It serves companies well if they don't have a lot of margin on upgrades since it's a customer relations move to offer the upgrades in the first place.
Agreed.

Looking forward to getting mine done, but in no rush.

Happy to see ARC so busy.
__________________
VPI Scoutmaster; JMW-9 Signature; Shelter 7000
Bryston BDA2 + BDP2; ARC PH5; ARC Ref 5; ARC Ref 150, Equi=Tech Son of Q
Wilson Sophia 3; Transparent - cables
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 AM
sanji's Avatar
sanji sanji is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 322
Default

From what I've heard, the company that makes the Teflon caps for AR got bought by another company and are in transition. So the caps are in short supply. Should be ironed out fairly shortly. I bought a REF 2 SE a couple of months ago and it is amazing. From what I've heard the upgrade is well worth it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase