AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac man View Post
I have been reading a lot about the synergy of amps with wilson speakers I know this is a huge personal thing and I don't mean to start a debate at all but what about Wilson SophiaIII with a Mcintosh amp I don't hear a lot of people talking about Mcintosh w/ Wilson? Just Curious

All I can say is how I came to this combination: back in the days, I wanted to buy a C2200 and my dealer did a demo for me, using this preamp with a MC402 and WP7; what happened this day was I was amazed with this combination and I felt in love with Wilson Audio I only knew for their excellent reputation and very high prices here in France; the rest is history, because I knew from this moment that my beloved BW802N would be soon replaced with Wilson Audio.

At the end of 2007, I bought WP8 for my 1201s I had at this time. WP8s are now driven with 1.2KWs , and C1000 preamps, with a Lyngdorf RP1 in between; if you don't trust me, let's have a demo.

I'm over satisfied with this combination, I got what Alberto calls the "delicious sound"; one thing proves it, I'm no longer lurking to change something in my system. I only buy Music and listen to Music, because it's a tremendous simple pleasure and enchantment everyday and everytime.

I have to admit, to be complete, that WA works very well with AudioResearch too; I had the chance to listen to demos from Pete Mc Grath here in Paris, and it was a great moment; and he is a fantastic man!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Wilson Gal

Wilson Audio: Sophia Series 3

2nd video on the new Sophia 3 posted today! In conjunction with Peter McGrath's arrival in Germany for the Munich Hi Fi show we are pleased to announce the next video in the Sophia launch series. In the video, Dave Wilson talks about his design goals and philosophies for the new Sophia. He also compares the Series 3 to the Series 2, and speaks about some of the technologies used the new Sophia. We hope you enjoy it.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildebs888 View Post
Wilson Audio: Sophia Series 3

2nd video on the new Sophia 3 posted today! In conjunction with Peter McGrath's arrival in Germany for the Munich Hi Fi show we are pleased to announce the next video in the Sophia launch series. In the video, Dave Wilson talks about his design goals and philosophies for the new Sophia. He also compares the Series 3 to the Series 2, and speaks about some of the technologies used the new Sophia. We hope you enjoy it.
Thumbs up!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Just came back from Munich Show. The new Sophias III are a big step up from the Sophia II - they look much more modern now.

Peter did not have the exact specs on hand, but promissed the new Sophias III to be much easier to drive than the Sasha (with the minimum impedance similar to Sophia II) and over 1dB more efficient than the outgoing Sophia II - now almost 90dB.

Peter McGrath standing next to Sophia II (white) and Sophia III (desert silver)

Same tweeter and midrange as in Sasha/Maxx 3. Now uses felt instead of sponge (just like the Sasha).

The top of the speaker, as well as the lines on the side, are front tilted now.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Sophia III.

Tweeter from Sasha, new woofer and the already very impressive midrange. This speaker will once again prove to be "the one by which all others will be judged" in the respective price range.
And what, dare I ask, would that price range be?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
And what, dare I ask, would that price range be?
$16.7k Retail
Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 AM

I was lurking to the SASHA since Dec. 09, but here in France they are so expensive. I bet the SOPHIA 3 will most probably replace my SOPHIA (1st generation).
I do hope the Desert Silver color is available as standard without any price adder from the factory. Btw, what is the standard color list?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Though I love their look, I don't find big (nor little) differences between 2 and 3. I had the same feeling between WP8 and Sasha's/WP9.

If the Sophia 3 gets speakers of Maxx3 and Sasha's (always the same marketing story in my opinion), does it mean they sound the same in these areas?

Elberoth, did you seriously listen to the 3 , especially compared to the 2, if they were in the same show room like it seems to be the case?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Though I love their look, I don't find big (nor little) differences between 2 and 3. I had the same feeling between WP8 and Sasha's/WP9.

If the Sophia 3 gets speakers of Maxx3 and Sasha's (always the same marketing story in my opinion), does it mean they sound the same in these areas?

Elberoth, did you seriously listen to the 3 , especially compared to the 2, if they were in the same show room like it seems to be the case?
Same as cars .... like Mercedes for example .... S Class then water down certain traits to the E Class then the C Class. Like you amply put it "Marketing Story". The difference probably is the bass area ......... deeper, more controlled, tight, fast ..... etc, .....
Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 AM

Well said, Jerry.

The problem is that with this way doing marketing, while new sales grow up , when you buy new such expansive speakers, 2 or 3 years laters you can buy them on the used market for half or third price, and it is very frustrative! In my case, WP8 were sold 35000 euros 2 1/2 years ago when I bought them, and I could find yesterday for 14000 euros a used but mint pair.

When Sasha's were released, I gave them long listening hours;I was not that much impressed; and in the end I asked my dealer what he thought, he told me nothing in the sound but a better ability to be driven by different amps!

Now for me no question to go for WP9/Sasha's.

What about Maxx3s? I fear them to be a little toobig in my living room (WAF, 8 or 9 feet height etc...).

What about downsizing with S3s? No way in the end, until I have a chance to compare S3s side by side my WP8s (or let's say Sasha's) .

In conclusion, I love so much my WP8s, I think/know I'll keep them for a long time; I really have found my Graal with these speakers, and the combination with my system is oversatisfying me.

My wife told me I should find another hobby in the end ...