AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 06-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Default Ayre + Sonus Faber...Good Match??

Just wondering if anybody has experience with this combo. Thinking about picking up SF Elipsa SE to mate with my VXR/KXR Twenties. I know the 91 rating will be fine BUT not sure about the voicing. Not worried about lack of Bass but if there are any other "Red Flags" I should be concerned about. Mostly playing Classic Rock if that helps. Thanks for any input.
Amps: First Watt SIT-3, Pass XA25, Valvet E2 SE, LTA Ultralinear, LTA ZOTL 40, ARC 150M, First Watt SIT-1 Mono's, ARC Ref75SE, Luxman M900U, Coda #8, Pass XA30.5, Decware Zen TorII MK4, Line Magnetic 845 Premium, Raven Reflection MK2

Pre-Amps: Luxman 900U, Coda 07X, ARC MP-1 Multi-Channel, Conrad Johnson Met-1 Multi-Channel

Disc Spinners: Esoteric K-01XD, Luxman D-10X, Ayre DX5, Oppo 105/205

Speakers: Cube Audio Nenuphar, Fleetwood Deville, Spendor Classic 100, Volti RAZZ, Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo 2, Falcon LS 3/5A, Klipsch Cornwall IV, Harbeth SHL5+, Omega Compact 8, Triangle Comete 40th, Monitor Audio Gold 200, Audio Solutions Figaro M, Harbeth C7 40th, Harbeth P3XD

Collector/Dealer of over 9000 Authentic RIAA Gold/Platinum Music Industry Record Awards 1960's-Present. 3600+ Photos of my awards on Facebook page: RIAA AWARD COLLECTORS
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 PM

I have yet to hear Ayre not make any speaker sound better for my ears. Have heard the Ayre with SF's you are looking at. I went with the Vandersteen Quatro's instead, but I felt the Ayre was a great match up for the SF's. You got the amps for a reason and the SF will still sound the same as will the amps. For any music you should really enjoy that mix.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 AM

It's been a popular combo historically. If you like the SF sound, I expect you will be quite happy. Classic rock though is a strange choice for SF; typically the brand is associated with classical music fans.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 AM

I'm with Bar on that one. You really did take me a bit off guard, lol. One area I can easily see them being a good fit is because a lot of rock is so poorly recorded and the SF line is very forgiving to ragged highs. They are a musical speaker.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM

I don't listen to a lot of really hard rock or metal, but I do listen to classic rock. The Elipsa SE are just mesmerizing. They have that in the room quality in spades. I loved the Elipsa SEs the first time I heard them and I still love them.

I don't have a good Ayre dealer near me so I am not that familiar with the sound. Like everything else though it really depends on how they sound together in your system.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the responses. A guy near me has Mcintosh with the SF Elipsa and all he listens to is classic rock and he loves the pairing. Just wanted to get some more opinions before I make a 10K mistake. Im told the Mac and Ayre Gear doesn't sound similar so trying to cover my bases. Thanks again
Amps: First Watt SIT-3, Pass XA25, Valvet E2 SE, LTA Ultralinear, LTA ZOTL 40, ARC 150M, First Watt SIT-1 Mono's, ARC Ref75SE, Luxman M900U, Coda #8, Pass XA30.5, Decware Zen TorII MK4, Line Magnetic 845 Premium, Raven Reflection MK2

Pre-Amps: Luxman 900U, Coda 07X, ARC MP-1 Multi-Channel, Conrad Johnson Met-1 Multi-Channel

Speakers: Cube Audio Nenuphar, Fleetwood Deville, Spendor Classic 100, Volti RAZZ, Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo 2, Falcon LS 3/5A, Klipsch Cornwall IV, Harbeth SHL5+, Omega Compact 8, Triangle Comete 40th, Monitor Audio Gold 200, Audio Solutions Figaro M, Harbeth C7 40th, Harbeth P3XD

Collector/Dealer of over 9000 Authentic RIAA Gold/Platinum Music Industry Record Awards 1960's-Present. 3600+ Photos of my awards on Facebook page: RIAA AWARD COLLECTORS
Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Media Server Aficionado

SF + Rock is an atypical scenario.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
SF + Rock is an atypical scenario.

Not at my house!
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Not at my house!
1KW on this site is the guy near me that does Classic Rock + SF. I just noticed we are all in Pennsylvania. Must be something in the water causing brain damage...probably due to Fracking on the Delaware River

Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM

I am using the QX-5 Twenty, KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty with the SF Il Cremonese. It's a fantastic match and can even play Metallica with ease (if you want to do harder stuff).