AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Racing Hoopties

Good news!!

Tonight I played around a little. In short, I switched to the side USB2.0 only output on the SilenZio and from the 1.0 meter WW Platinum starlight to a 0.5meter length of the same cable.

The LANRover is now working in my system and I will pressure test it making some on the fly changes to various sample and bit rates.

If it proves stable, I will start more serious listening this week to compare it to my Base system and the Base with the Recovery installed.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Racing Hoopties

Not so fast! System crashed when I switched to a 24/192 FLAC file while playing a DSD 2.8 file. It worked fine when switching to a new DSD file while playing another DSD file.

It is just not stable in my system and I don't know what else to do. Fingers crossed there is a silver bullet coming from Boulder.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-31-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Not so fast! System crashed when I switched to a 24/192 FLAC file while playing a DSD 2.8 file. It worked fine when switching to a new DSD file while playing another DSD file. It is just not stable in my system and I don't know what else to do. Fingers crossed there is a silver bullet coming from Boulder.
I'm pulling for you!! Hopefully the solution is swift and easy👊
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Just curious whether there's anything new to report on the Lanrover.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Racing Hoopties

Sending mine back today. After about 3 hours of trying 'things', I was told there was something fundamentally wrong with my system and that is why the LANRover would only play DSD after I rebooted everything cold. The system would freeze if JRiver moved from DSD to FLAC and would never play FLAC. ;(. I was also told I am in the 10% of those for whom the LR does not work.

As a note, when I removed the LANRover from my system and connected the Silenzio/Recovery to the Esoteric DAC via USB, JRiver MC21 plays all my files seamlessly.

Don't know why but I am moving on. It was worth a shot. Unfortunately, I was never able to verify the claims of improved sound.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Sending mine back today. After about 3 hours of trying 'things', I was told there was something fundamentally wrong with my system and that is why the LANRover would only play DSD after I rebooted everything cold. The system would freeze if JRiver moved from DSD to FLAC and would never play FLAC. ;(. I was also told I am in the 10% of those for whom the LR does not work. As a note, when I removed the LANRover from my system and connected the Silenzio/Recovery to the Esoteric DAC via USB, JRiver MC21 plays all my files seamlessly. Don't know why but I am moving on. It was worth a shot. Unfortunately, I was never able to verify the claims of improved sound.
Sadly, I think I may be forced to do the same here. Not surprising given our system similarities. Next "tweak" coming for me is the JCAT USB Isolator (based on the Intona industrial hardware). Could be here by later this week. Stay tuned.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Thank you guys for your time. I really like my interaction with JRiver. So much I have not tried anything else. Interesting that 10% of buyers will not be able to use this product. I would not release it to the public like that. Passing on it for now.
It's pretty cool how the Recovery contributes to SQ for so little investment.

Happy listening!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:53 PM

It's unfortunate that it didn't work out as planned. I had high hopes for this in my system. I think I'll wait until I see some favorable reviews.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:01 PM

Just to be fair the Recovery also had compatibility issues with certain systems. In my system the Regen worked without issue but had no such luck with the Recovery. For systems that they work in they generally do offer improvements, but it seems to be hit or miss as to whether one will work in a specific application. With all of the variations in both hardware and software their design and application is far from being a perfect science.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
Thank you guys for your time. I really like my interaction with JRiver. So much I have not tried anything else. Interesting that 10% of buyers will not be able to use this product. I would not release it to the public like that. Passing on it for now. It's pretty cool how the Recovery contributes to SQ for so little investment. Happy listening!
Not sure but I THINK the issue lies with the Esoteric and its ASIO drivers and NOT with JRiver. That is an educated guess based on others running JRMC with Windows systems and their feedback on the PSAudio forum.

For me, obviously, changing out my Esoteric K-03x was not an option.