AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 06-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventino View Post
Im going to try a B&W Pv1 shortly and then I will have a chance to try SVS SB1000

Anyone tried the SVS SB12?
Instead of the PV1, try the current PV1D. Great little sub, very musical and has some fun tricks you can access but it's not as good as the E series JL overall
Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 PM

Check out JL Audio D108, its a musical sounding subwoofer. I have it hookup to my desktop PC system along with Bel Canto C5i and Polk Audio TSX110B (upgrading to Kef LS50). The JL D108 was easy to setup and the bass integrates beautifully. I also have JL Audio E110 in my main system but it took more time tweaking the adjustment to get the bass to integrate. The Rel T7i is also another excellent small compact musical subwoofer.

Last edited by Spinpsycho; 07-29-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinpsycho View Post
Check out JL Audio D108, its a musical sounding subwoofer. I have it hookup to my desktop PC system along with Bel Canto C5i and Polk Audio TSX110B (upgrading to Kef LS50). The JL D108 was easy to setup and the bass integrates beautifully. I also have JL Audio E110 in my main system but it took more time tweaking the adjustment to get the bass to integrate. The Rel T7i is also another excellent small compact musical subwoofer.
I also have dual E110s running with Aerial7Ts. I would have to spend $$$$ to get just marginal improvement in any other speaker. The JLs have fantastic bass while relieving the mains from having to use the port. Sounds like a full range classA speaker now. You will never go wrong with JL IMHO. Also you'll have a true 2 way electronic crossover for use with any other speaker down the line. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulphoosreal View Post
The JLs have fantastic bass while relieving the mains from having to use the port. Sounds like a full range classA speaker now. You will never go wrong with JL IMHO. Also you'll have a true 2 way electronic crossover for use with any other speaker down the line. Good luck!
My little JL D108 indeed have fantastic bass, i like how it sound with the Polk tsx110b, sounds warm and lush. I chose the JL D108 over the Rel T7i, the JL D108 sounds and felt like it had a little more punch than the REL T7i.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 AM

My current setup: Digital Storm Apollo PC with Asus X99 Rampage V MotherBoard, Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45, Bel Canto C5i and the almighty JL D108. The Definitive is a keeper, i am not upgrading to the Kef LS50.

Last edited by Spinpsycho; 08-03-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventino View Post
Thanks for the REL and JL Audio options.
I will see whats available locally and go have a listen to them. Its difficult to find small compact subwoofers that are good for music and integrate easily.
Last year I brought both models home, JL E110 and REL S3's, as a stereo pair to match with the Aerial Acoustics. The JL's had more connection options and a smarter control panel (accessible from the top, with a hidden panel), whereas the REL's offered their preferred speaker-level connections and a softer filter design (12 vs 24 db/octave). The REL's blended better ('disappeared') in our set-up and that is what I kept.

From the Absolute Sound:
"It may seem like a paradox, but the way to get good sound out of a subwoofer (for music use, at least) is to try to get almost no sound out of the subwoofer at all."

Try to listen at home. You shouldn't be disappointed with either.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:04 AM

That quote excerpt from TAS may be misinterpreted. I believe what they mean is that for the best seamless integration in a music system a sub should be setup with its crossover point so low that the sub's location cannot easily be identified when listening. Ideally it should only be augmenting output of the lowest frequencies which will add weight and dimensionality to the reproduced soundstage which is being defined by the main speakers.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
That quote excerpt from TAS may be misinterpreted. I believe what they mean is that for the best seamless integration in a music system a sub should be setup with its crossover point so low that the sub's location cannot easily be identified when listening. Ideally it should only be augmenting output of the lowest frequencies which will add weight and dimensionality to the reproduced soundstage which is being defined by the main speakers.
Agree. I also think that is what they meant.

FWIW, the white paper from the 'Sound Doctor' re: sub integration helped me a great deal. The surprising thing (for me at least) was sub placement. The subs ended up much closer to the listening spot than the mains. Also used the Sound Doctor test CD to set the cross-overs (and do the infamous 'sub-crawl'). It was fairly silly, but worth it.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 PM

Sumiko used to distribute for REL - now they have their own subs I refer to them as a poor man's REL. Truth be told, that isn't being very fair to them. They're well built, they look great - more importantly, they integrate well (like REL) and sound great. The S.5 might be your size...