AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM

Default C2500, How To get Coax1 to work?

I have my Esoteric CD players digital out connected to my C2500 coax1 input. How do I call up the coax1 connection? The selector switch doesn't show coax or optical, just USB. I looked at the manual which was kind of confusing. Can someone walk me through it? I have tried it while a CD is playing thinking the preamp would recognize it, but no. I played around with this for over an hour today and got nowhere.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:00 PM

Page 14 of the manual

Shows how to change the default connection of any non-phone input selection to any of the digital connections. Therefore you would take like CD2 and assign either Coax 1 or Coax 2 as the desired connection. Of course after that you can rename CD2 to Esoteric
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 PM

Default C2500, How To get Coax1 to work?

You need to reassign your C2500 preamp source input to the digital input you plug your coax cable from the CD player into. I believe the coax inputs are DIG3 and DIG4 on the C2500 preamp (DIG1 and 2 are toslink). For example, if you plugged the coax cable into DIG3 on the preamp, and you wanted to reassign your CD source input to use DIG3, you would do so using the buttons and knobs on the preamp (not the remote) as follows: Turn on preamp and press and hold the Tone Bypass/Setup button to enter Setup mode Press Output 2/Menu button repeatedly until Setup:Source input appears on the preamp display . Rotate the Input knob on the preamp until CD appears on the display. It will most likely show RCA as the input. To change it to DIG3, rotate the Volume knob on the preamp until DIG3 appears on the display. Press Tone/Bypass button to exit Setup. You should now be able to get sound from the CD player simply by selecting CD as your input source. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:39 PM

Wouldn't it have been easier if the digital inputs were already on the input selector knob? I did exactly what was said here and it will work, but the next time I go to use it, I have to go through the process again. Yes, this is after saving the settings.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 PM

Once you assign a source input to a digital input on the C2500, it should stay in memory even in the event of a power loss or if the preamp is unplugged. You definitely should not have to repeat the process each time, unless there is a problem with the preamp.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:34 PM

You guys nailed it!!! Thank you so much for the help. I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but I followed the instructions and it worked and saved the input!! Again, thank you!