AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Great review. Couple of questions. Related to the review but not directly to the D100. Does the iPad have to have all the Song locally stored? OR Can one access, say, and local iMacs iTunes library and play it in the same format? I am intrigued by your setup and I have done it in the past but I was only able to get my iTunes Match or compress audio files (unless sync'd at a higher bit rate, but I want all my music that's > the iPad's storage.) What was your method? Sync 120 or so GB of music to the iPad or ?? Next, the blue meters, in the AP1 app, in my experience, seemed to not work well. I read, on the internet, that the app used the Microphone input, as a way to get around some restriction/obstacle, to drive the meter needles- True/false? Would you consider using an Analog to Digital converter if you had Vinyl/Analog sources OR would you recommend a McIntosh C50/C2500/C48?
Yes, iPad songs locally stored in that instance.

If you have high res files, iTunes (computer) and channel d, audirvana, jrivier, you can download the appropriate app to control the iTunes.

AP-1 is affected by mic when not plugged in. Once plugged in, or airplay, it is not influenced by the mic any longer.

I'll chime in on my opinion, if you have vinyl/analog sources, go with c50/c48/c2500.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 01-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
Yes, iPad songs locally stored in that instance.

If you have high res files, iTunes (computer) and channel d, audirvana, jrivier, you can download the appropriate app to control the iTunes.

AP-1 is affected by mic when not plugged in. Once plugged in, or airplay, it is not influenced by the mic any longer.

I'll chime in on my opinion, if you have vinyl/analog sources, go with c50/c48/c2500.

Cheers!

Enit, thanks. I use Audirvana. However the AP-1 does not control iTunes libraries on computers. So I may be misinterpreting what you wrote.

Also, By plugged in, do you mean via USB cable or Headphone jack? It's still buggy regardless.

My point in all of this is that the AP-1 is limited to the storage of an iPad or like device. Still, that can be a great amount of CDs stored in Apple Lossless, but not 1000 CDs*. Which makes the well written review seem, to me, a little sensational. " Use the AP-1 App with your iPad and add a Camera Connection Kit AND add a D100 can you sorta get cool digital front end with blue meters"

Which is cool. Just not for me.

*1000 CDs generally makes you a music lover
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Enit, thanks. I use Audirvana. However the AP-1 does not control iTunes libraries on computers. So I may be misinterpreting what you wrote.

Also, By plugged in, do you mean via USB cable or Headphone jack? It's still buggy regardless.

My point in all of this is that the AP-1 is limited to the storage of an iPad or like device. Still, that can be a great amount of CDs stored in Apple Lossless, but not 1000 CDs*. Which makes the well written review seem, to me, a little sensational. " Use the AP-1 App with your iPad and add a Camera Connection Kit AND add a D100 can you sorta get cool digital front end with blue meters"

Which is cool. Just not for me.

*1000 CDs generally makes you a music lover
I agree. I downloaded the app after reading the article and found the same issues, but I also wondered when the heck I'd ever use it. It doesn't allow me to use it for the music on my NAS. Why would I use inferior grade music on my iPad, a limited amount, and not my NAS? And why would I do so with a wired connection?

Anyway, I'm sure it's just great for some, especially those who are sitting at their desks and want their iPad plugged into their system.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Enit, thanks. I use Audirvana. However the AP-1 does not control iTunes libraries on computers. So I may be misinterpreting what you wrote. Also, By plugged in, do you mean via USB cable or Headphone jack? It's still buggy regardless. My point in all of this is that the AP-1 is limited to the storage of an iPad or like device. Still, that can be a great amount of CDs stored in Apple Lossless, but not 1000 CDs*. Which makes the well written review seem, to me, a little sensational. " Use the AP-1 App with your iPad and add a Camera Connection Kit AND add a D100 can you sorta get cool digital front end with blue meters" Which is cool. Just not for me. *1000 CDs generally makes you a music lover
No the ap-1 doesn't control iTunes libraries. You
Can plug a multipin converter (camera kit perhaps) to the iPad and have digital output to the d100. Bypassing as many processes as possible.

Ap-1 will not control the iTunes, But the apple remote app does.

Hence mb100 with a complementing McIntosh control app will be much desired, more as a transport, but well as a player too.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 AM
Rebellious!

enit-

I don't follow your logic in your post, but we can agree that the AP-1 doesn't do much but play songs on a space limited iOS device.

Right now, the MB100 lists features that an Apple Computer and a iTunes Match Subscription could do. Moreover, it lists many of the feature of the Mirage Server package. For us Fanatics it doesn't feed us well, but for the uninitiated it should bode well.

I will post more about this once I get the MB100 a good look over. Still, the MS750 had about a 90% Solution: Stream audio to anywhere in the world, backed up/played digital songs, and recorded from analog sources. Where the Meridian system gets it right is with the Metadata. If a system, that came out, that allowed one to back up their vinyl, CD, Tapes, etc to disk and cataloged/tagged all the right metadata and it could play exactly what you wanted to hear with little to no cleaning, cases, tone arm, etc.. I would be very interested. Meridian come close, but no analog recording.

The D100 is a great DAC and will do well during it's product cycle. I just want more.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 AM

Bill,

the Purist HDR 6 offers analog recording as an option:

http://www.ami-hifi.de/index.php?opt...mid=68&lang=en

Sorry there is no tranlation.

Since its a modular concept you can choose what you need: With or without DAC, upsampling, balanced connection, reclocking....

Burkhard
Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM

Think MB100 as MS750 with external, expandable storage, and a more robust and friendlier interface, improved audio section that combines all your songs from all over your network.

I'm looking forward to a hands on review. But we'll see.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Great review.

Couple of questions.

Related to the review but not directly to the D100.
Does the iPad have to have all the Song locally stored? OR Can one access, say, and local iMacs iTunes library and play it in the same format?

I am intrigued by your setup and I have done it in the past but I was only able to get my iTunes Match or compress audio files (unless sync'd at a higher bit rate, but I want all my music that's > the iPad's storage.) What was your method? Sync 120 or so GB of music to the iPad or ??

Next, the blue meters, in the AP1 app, in my experience, seemed to not work well. I read, on the internet, that the app used the Microphone input, as a way to get around some restriction/obstacle, to drive the meter needles- True/false?

Would you consider using an Analog to Digital converter if you had Vinyl/Analog sources OR would you recommend a McIntosh C50/C2500/C48?
Yes, you have to store the media locally on the iPad. iOS does support up to 48kHz with its stock iPod app. All the music on my iPad are AIFF files.

The AP1 was updated a couple of months ago to fix the meters issue.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Rebellious!

First, It's been great to see your progress in this hobby and I thrilled to see your reviews and youtube videos. Keep up the fire!

I have the latest McIntosh AP-1 on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Air, AND I could be doing something wrong, but the needles will freeze or act funny when plugging or changing the audio output. I can not replicate it, so it could be me, but the glitch happens. Sorry.

Yes, the iOS and iPod Classic support 24Bit/48KHz Audio, which is bad ass. As I scan the internet for High Resolution Audio, I find that most production engineers use 24/48 when describing their project files. Moreover, several Pop/Rock Albums are showing up on HDTracks which thrills me.

I feel that the AP-1 combined with the D100 should be companions. Where the AP-1 enhances the D100's capabilities. With an powerful iOS device, built in microphones, and blue meters there is much potential. For now, putting an iPad Air on top of a D100 does make for a super cool set-up, but like I said, I want just a little bit more integration. (Access an Apple Computers full resolution music library over Wifi, Better needle response, remote controlled by an iPhone, and robust metadata (auto update/correct, searching, etc))

If that called for an AP-2 I would pay for that.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM

the iOS app is not perfect and needs a lot more work.