AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 07-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Major Tube Rolling

Just completed a major bout of tube rolling - changed tubes in both my VTL 2.5 pre & my Sonic Frontiers Power 1.

First up- after much research I decided to try the new Psvane 12AT7s & 12AU7s in my pre (replacing the existing JJ tubes, which had replaced older JAN's)- in addition I fitted EAT Cool Dampers.

- Result: drop in noise floor, a 'spot light' in the mid band (which I like), and a much smoother presentation.

- Verdict: Very happy with the change, and the whole system sound far more coherent and dynamic.

Then I changed the driver tubes in the Power 1, replacing the (now 12 years old) Sovtek 6922 with EH 6922 Gold Pins.

-Result: I guess the old Sovteks were worn out as the new EHs, didn’t just reduce the noise floor- it plummeted!!. Macro & micro Dynamics appeared out of nowhere- I couldn’t believe the improvement! It was jaw dropping!.

- Verdict: Obviously I waited too long to up-date the driver tubes- they must have been shot after over 12 years on almost constant use. The new EH tubes are just so superior I cannot believe it.

- Output Tubes: I have tube rolled these for years, alternating between Sevtlana 6550s (stock tune), EH KT88's & Sovtek KT88s. Settled on the Sovteks which had the best bass response. I was tempted by the Treasures or the Genelex, but after much internal debate settled on the new Tungsol KT120's.

- Result: Combined with the new EH driver tubes- I sounds like I have a new power amp (In fact my wife was adamant that I had tricked her & purchased a new one). POWER, tighter bass, magic mid range- just fantastic. There was a slight upper treble glare, but that disappeared after 25 hours of use.

- Verdict: these big KT120s are a revelation- completely transforming the Power 1.

Thanks to the US Debt Issues, the NZ Dollar has skyrocketed against the greenback- in 2 years climbing from just over 50 cents to 87 cents today & making it cost effective to import the tubes direct & avoid the rip-off local suppilers who quadruple the price on tubes.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Congrats!!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM

NZ421291...congrats on the tube rolling upgrade. Sounds like each tube change paid dividends in spades. Enjoy the upgraded sonics
Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

NZ421291.......Sounds like the biggest bang happened when the aging driver tubes were replaced with fresh ones. I'm glad to hear new valves put new life in the amp.

If you don't mind, may we address you by your first name?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Oops, sorry- my name is Nick- & yes, the driver tubes made the biggist impact.

The system continues to improve as all the tubes burn in- now about 75 hours & there is still small but noticable improvement in focus & upper bass micro dynamics-wonder how long before things stablize?

Cheers

Nick