AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 04-11-2019, 01:44 PM

My experience is that Ayre products sound great without additional power conditioning and can sound better with good power conditioning. Ive had positive results on my KX-R Twenty with both the Shunyata Triton v3 and Denali 6000/T.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Can you please tell us if you've actually made these measurements? If not, how can you be sure that what you state is factual?
In science the burden of proof lies with the entity making the claim, not with the entity that contradicts it. If the claim cannot be proven then all you have is theory.

I have not personally measured the signal post the power supply stages of any Ayre equipment (with and without external conditioning) and NEITHER has any third party power conditioning company either. I doubt that even Ayre has done this but they are in the best position to do so. However, I have seen experiments comparing types of power supplies and the net effect interference had on sound quality. The results were telling.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
In Post #11 didn't Ryan Berry, Ayre CEO, just say that under certain conditions the sound of their Ayre gear was improved through the use of additional external filtering (i.e., 'no perfect brick wall')?
Ryan has to tread a fine line here, afterall the company is selling a line conditioner.

He also stated that there were "neighbors" but he did not specify in any detail what that meant. He also mentioned "non-Ayre gear" again leaving much to the imagination. The information is too sketchy to draw any solid conclusions from. It would have been more helpful had he furnished some objective data that supported his statements.

Quote:
I am no expert, but one thing I think I've learned in this hobby is to stay away from 'absolutes.' In other words, YMMV.
Well isn't that what the power condition companies are doing? They aren't going around saying their equipment MAY make your system sound better now are they?

Last edited by RebelMan; 04-12-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
My experience is that Ayre products sound great without additional power conditioning and can sound better with good power conditioning. Ive had positive results on my KX-R Twenty with both the Shunyata Triton v3 and Denali 6000/T.
In the engineering community we call that a placebo effect.

Last edited by RebelMan; 04-11-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:27 AM

Crawl back in your little troll cave.

Last edited by Bar81; 04-12-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 AM

I believe it is almost impossible to design a power supply that does not benefit from extremely pure power and yes this means top quality power conditioners and cords. With my Niagara 7000 I get isolation transformers for every source. With my dedicated Niagara 5000 to each power amp and Dragon power cords I get a high current power reservoir of 90 amps. But it doesn't stop there: even your sources need a dedicated 20 amp line with no power amps plugged in so that you have one conditioner dedicated for your sources apart from your amps.The only amp I would not use conditioning with would be a Relentless but I would use the highest quality power cord and pay great attention to my line and to my wall outlets that would be of the very highest quality. Unfortunately, whatever conditioner you decide to use if it is well designed, it will very significantly improve your sound. Good sound begins at the light pole. When I installed my Transguard Tg60 whole house surge protector meant to stop the lightning if it hit the power line, the first time I turned my system on it was like a veil had been removed that I didn't know was there. I went downstairs and got the OM out and there it was: the Tg60 had very significant filtering that I was unaware of. You want to begin with the cleanest power possible going into your conditioner. This optimizes it and allows it to do its best in providing your component with the cleanest and best current possible. In the case of sources an isolation transformer for each source is the ultimate and for each amp a dedicated (no sources) conditioner with a 20 amp line and current reservoir is the ultimate. Any hum or hiss at all indicates you have a problem. That's why I use fully balanced equipment and no equalization or tone controls. On the forums in general there are many discussions about DAC's etc. folks going to tremendous expense to get the best "one" when the issue is actually dirty power going into the power supply.

Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 04-12-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
In the engineering community we call that a placebo effect.
Before arriving at that conclusion, wouldn't you want more information? For example, wouldn't you want to make some assessment of his AC power quality? Wouldn't you want to be sure there's nothing defective about the equipment in use? Further, are you suggesting that the entire engineering community agrees with you?
Old 04-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I believe it is almost impossible to design a power supply that does not benefit from extremely pure power and yes this means top quality power conditioners and cords.
You are quite passionate about your beliefs but they belie the truths. This is not voodoo science it is applied science. What power conditioners do to the mains line is no different from what audio grade amplifiers do and using them is redundant at best and detrimental at worse. You said you wouldn't use them on the Relentless but if you were steadfast in your beliefs you would. Why the contradiction? Do you think Dan D'Agostino is the only audio engineer that builds amplifiers that "reduces transformer noise to near zero and protects the audio circuitry from the transformer’s magnetic field" or includes protection mechanisms in "non-invasive but comprehensive defense against any external system faults"? He's not.

As for power cords, the ones included in the box may not look as pretty as boutique brands but they are all you need.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
Crawl back in your little troll cave.
Open your mind neophyte.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
Open your mind neophyte.
You may have overlooked that this is the "Friendly Forum for High End Audio." Please consider that as you draft future posts.