AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 AM

Default New House / New System: Sasha 2 vs. Sasha 1

Hi all,
I’m going through the typical audiophile angst / analysis paralysis trying to decide my next move for my system. That said, I think I’m almost there, but would like some input.
I have moved from a small room with 8ft ceilings to a very large room that is 20ft wide and at least 34 ft long (open plan) with 10ft ceilings…… and my current system doesn't suite the large room.
I have been and listened to a bunch of speakers; Sasha 2, SS-AR1, Amati Futura, S5, S3 and a range of electronics from Mc452, Constellation, Sim Audio W7 and the Devialet D200 (this I auditioned at home).
Other background; My music taste is mostly indie / rock / alternative with some jazz and very little classical (it’s my wife’s).
So far the speaker I have liked the best has been the Sasha 2 – the right mix of musicality and a little more detail without being forward or too analytical. However, the Sasha 2 is a little more than I want to spend and I’m told the Sasha 1 is pretty close. My preferred electronics so far is the Devialet D200. Largely based on cost but also performance. I love my current Sim P7 Pre and its phono stage that runs off a 12v DC output from the Pre (sounds a lot better with DC feed). But my amp (Pass XA30.5) will need upgrading to drive bigger speakers in a bigger room and my dac has long been on my upgrade radar. I’ve been shocked at how well the Devialet can drive the Sasha 2 and have been told it’ll do the same with the Sasha 1.
I’ve not auditioned the Sasha 1 as it is not easy and it’ll be in a different room with different electronics (and the dealers rooms are typically heavily treated). So I’d like some “real world” opinions (if that’s the right way of putting it). So anyone who has had Sasha 1 and moved to Sasha 2, or just owned Sasha 1, please let me know what I might expect.
Likewise, I still have angst about selling off my electronics for the Devialet, but the wife is thrilled by the prospect. That’s probably a subject for another thread, once the speaker decision has been made.
Any advice or handholding welcomed.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 AM

I can highly recommend the Devialet/Sasha1 pairing. It cured my upgradeitis in a single stroke.

Good luck looks like you are listening to a lot of things. This is a sure way to avoid buyers remorse.

Hg

Last edited by adiobum; 06-01-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:15 AM

Marc (2fastdriving) is probably a good person to give you a comparison between the two speakers in a real-world environment. Have you tried going to Sunny's Components in Covina? He usually has a pair of Sasha 1s kicking around and he does his demos in a large warehouse environment without lots of acoustic treatments. Audio Salon in Santa Monica is another possibility as they carry both Wilson and Devailet.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 01-11-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:22 AM

Devialet is of course a good match with Sasha1.
The difference between Sasha1 and Sasha2 is Sasha1 has slightly more forwarded treble, different tweeter characteristic. It can sound too dry and edgy to some people.
Your big room can also drain away the bass energy moving the tonal balance upward. The resultant sound will be very different from your present system. Are you ready for it?
One step up, an Aleixa seems a better move if budget permits.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
Your big room can also drain away the bass energy moving the tonal balance upward. The resultant sound will be very different from your present system. Are you ready for it?
I went from a medium to a large room (by UK standards) and can vouch for this comment. A profound difference - I ended up changing the whole system - it sounded completely different with the same set up. Went from 'too much bass' to 'no bass'. That was a 16x13 to a 30x18 (L shape).

I wonder if Sasha is big enough given your dimensions. I now have Sophia and feel they are still too small. Sasha II would be ideal for me not sure if you should look at something bigger.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM

I have heard most of the older and newer generation Wilson Audio speakers and the evolution of the Ti tweeter thru (Watt Puppy (3-8), Maxx 2, Sasha 1, X-1 Gen 5, Alexandria) and now the soft dome tweeter. (Sasha 2, Alexia)

Something to think about:
Wilson speakers reflect the source/upstream; including AC supply, and all the cabling. Personally I still like the Ti tweeter best ; but that may be due to my X-1's (gen V) purchased after auditioning the Alexias.

The Sasha's 1 vs 2 debate starts at: Both speakers are going to reflect the source components in a big way. You can tailor the Wilson to sound anyway you like especially based on the Amplifier right in front of it.
The Ti tweeter is not fatiguing on the Sasha 1, Maxx3, Alexandrias (due to the evolution of the Ti design) if the Amplifier and sources in front of it are not fatiguing.

I had my Sasha I in a 20 x 26 x 9 foot room (with an L off the back of the room) - they never strained. I used Amplifiers such as: ARC Ref 210, Mcintosh MC601, Levinson #23.

I have the X-1 (Gen V) in the same room now. Yes they do fill the room in a different way.

The sound you get from any of the Wilson's is a combination of the entire source string and room.
Avalon Ascent 2, Infinity RS-1b, Wilson Watt/Puppy 6, Snell Type A IIIi, Audio Research SP15, Conrad Johnson Motif 9, CD 8, Phono Ref One, Electron Kinectics Eagle 2C, Levinson No. 23, Sanders Sound ESL Mk II Amplifier, VPI HRX, Well Tempered Amadeus, Grado Reference 3, Denon 103r, Dynavector XX-2, 20x2l, Wireworld speaker cable, MIT Magnum 3 speaker cable
Old 02-02-2015, 12:38 PM

My opinion, which I've shared in other threads on this site, is that the new tweeter is a significant improvement. When I had my Sasha 1's, I never thought there was anything wrong at all with the tweeter, it sounded perfect to me, and I really was concerned I was wasting my time and money upgrading. The moment the 2's were plopped down, it was obvious that they were better. The tweeter is more relaxed AND more revealing all at the same time, which seems like an oxymoron. The other thing that was apparent is the integration with the midrange is better, resulting in a more lifelike portrayal of voices.

All that being said, anyone that can get a good deal on a Sasha 1 is not going to be unhappy. There's a reason why it is regarded as one of the best speakers ever made.

As far as room size, I think that if you like the sound of the Sasha and that's what you can afford, then throw some subs in later. Problem solved.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiobum View Post
I can highly recommend the Devialet/Sasha1 pairing. It cured my upgradeitis I'm a single stroke.

Good luck looks like you are listening to a lot of things. This is a sure way to avoid buyers remorse.

Hg
Do you use the tone controls? I figure I could reduce the treble and pump the bass?
Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Marc (2fastdriving) is probably be a good person to give you a comparison between the two speakers in a real-world environment. Have you tried going to Sunny's Components in Covina? He usually has a pair of Sasha 1's kicking around and he does his demos in a large warehouse environment without lots of acoustic treatments. Audio Salon in Santa Monica is another possibility as they carry both Wilson and Devailet.
Thanks. I know Audio Salon well. Maybe a trip out to Covina is on the cards for a listen.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

All that being said, anyone that can get a good deal on a Sasha 1 is not going to be unhappy. There's a reason why it is regarded as one of the best speakers ever made.

As far as room size, I think that if you like the sound of the Sasha and that's what you can afford, then throw some subs in later. Problem solved.
Thanks, I think I have read your posts. The Sasha 1 are going for a great deal and are within my wife approved budget. Sasha 2 and especially Alexia are a bit of a stretch.

I have a JL F112, but was hoping to sell that unless it works well in an area of the room where it's not visible. I haven't yet got out the measuring microphone and measured the room - I have a thick rug and plan some ceiling acoustic panels that can be discretely added to the plantation style (grid) ceiling of the room. That should help with the high frequencies.