AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-24-2018, 03:19 PM

Thanks for posting that. I do not get the immediate pop or the pause pops. I'm guessing it's because I have JRiver set to fade in and out. I do, however, get the pop a few seconds after the last track ends.

I also get a pop when changing from a native DSD track to PCM. I don't listen to music where the sample rate is always changing between tracks, so I'm not concerned with this.

I should mention that I do get pops when pausing and stopping native DSD, but that's always been the case as Dr. Tone mentioned above.

Ron C confirmed that this firmware update is a test and not finalized yet, so hopefully it will iron itself out.

Last edited by brownbear; 03-24-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Thanks for posting that. I do not get the immediate pop or the pause pops. I'm guessing it's because I have JRiver set to fade in and out. I do, however, get the pop a few seconds after the last track ends.

I also get a pop when changing from a native DSD track to PCM. I don't listen to music where the sample rate is always changing between tracks, so I'm not concerned with this.

I should mention that I do get pops when pausing and stopping native DSD, but that's always been the case as Dr. Tone mentioned above.

Ron C confirmed that this firmware update is a test and not finalized yet, so hopefully it will iron itself out.
I am not sure we would have gotten this far without being proactive. I would say let’s continue to be proactive in communicating the issues
Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Upon further review, there is an artifact before track 1. I would describe it as a digital snit or zzt. It's very minor and happens before the track begins music. It's definitely not the pop I hear after the last track or when switching from DSD to PCM tracks. IMO, much more tolerable than the auto mute feature.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
Upon further review, there is an artifact before track 1. I would describe it as a digital snit or zzt. It's very minor and happens before the track begins music. It's definitely not the pop I hear after the last track or when switching from DSD to PCM tracks. IMO, much more tolerable than the auto mute feature.
I agree. I'm happier now for sure, because at least I can work around this. What I am doing is this:

- Set Roon up so that it adds a 1 second resync delay
- Leave my c1100 muted when I start a new album
- Immediately after pressing "play" for the album, unmute the c1100

This works OK and still allows me to not miss any of the music. The only trouble is you can't really pause/un-pause without an issue, and if you have the music cranked and forget this, you and your speakers could be in for a surprise 5 seconds after an album ends.

It's too bad we have to continue to be beta testers for McIntosh firmware on their premium products. I hope everything will eventually be addressed. I'm happy to do it if they are actively trying to address it and if it helps other people. I have relayed my thanks and appreciation, as well as the "pop" related issues that remain in v1.03 to McIntosh. Hopefully, they will continue to work through this. So far, they have been really great supporting this.

Joey
Old 05-06-2018, 03:06 AM

Default McIntosh d1100 USB

Any updates on your USB issues ?

I have a D1100 since yesterday and am facing a strange behaviour : all my 16/44 and 24/44 tracks play flawlessy but when I try to play tracks with a higher sampling frequency, 24/96 for example, the D1100 doesn’t play any sound. I have to quit and reload Audirvana to make it work again (in 16/44 only).

Any one have already faced this ?

I will try with jriver today to see if it works

For information, firmware is 1.02.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:58 AM

Problem solved with Jriver 24, must be an Audirvana issue...

[Edit] Problem solved by Removing the Direct Mode on Audirvana. Furthermore, Audirvana has an option to "Mute when changing sampling frequency" with solves the pop in speakers when the sampling frequency changes

Last edited by Jumper; 05-07-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
Any updates on your USB issues ?

I have a D1100 since yesterday and am facing a strange behaviour : all my 16/44 and 24/44 tracks play flawlessy but when I try to play tracks with a higher sampling frequency, 24/96 for example, the D1100 doesn’t play any sound. I have to quit and reload Audirvana to make it work again (in 16/44 only).

Any one have already faced this ?

I will try with jriver today to see if it works

For information, firmware is 1.02.
No updates since my last post when v1.03 was provided to a handful of us that had issues.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

dannyroonlabs
Danny @ Roon Labs
dannyroonlabs
113 posts
Posted December 13, 2017

Sorry @The Computer Audiophile -- I didn't see this until just now... according to Brian, the fix for that D1100 issue went out a while ago.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...1100-question/

Obviously not. This sounds like a Roon software problem.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
dannyroonlabs
Danny @ Roon Labs
dannyroonlabs
113 posts
Posted December 13, 2017

Sorry @The Computer Audiophile -- I didn't see this until just now... according to Brian, the fix for that D1100 issue went out a while ago.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...1100-question/

Obviously not. This sounds like a Roon software problem.
It is not isolated to Roon. I did extensive testing with four or five different pieces of software across 3 operating systems and multiple computers before the 1.03 update was released. All had the same issue except JRiver with specific settings configured.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_corleone View Post
It is not isolated to Roon. I did extensive testing with four or five different pieces of software across 3 operating systems and multiple computers before the 1.03 update was released. All had the same issue except JRiver with specific settings configured.

Besides JRiver and Roon what else is out there?