AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 12-04-2018, 06:05 PM

Default Try Getting Out of Your Music Comfort Zone

Earlier today when pulling together my list of music for 2018 I was thinking about some tracks I wish others would give a try. So here are 3 tracks that capture my attention for different reasons. Give them a try even if they aren't in your normal comfort zone. I assume you can pull them off Tidal, Spotify or iTunes. Youtube versions may not do them justice.

Now it is your turn to add up to three to the list. I will give them a go if they are on Tidal. Let us know why you want others to hear a given track, so add a note.

Remember sometimes we only find one track on an album that draws us in. Also,

Here are my three:
Artist Riopy- Album Riopy Track 1 "I Love You".
His fingers fly across the keyboard. It is all good but between the 2 and 3 minute mark amazes me.

Artist Josh Groban Album Bridges Track 11 "99 Years"
I hope we could all get 99 years with our loved one. I am a sucker for Jennifer Nettles voice in duets.

Artist - Charles Lloyd & The Marvels (featuring Lucinda Williams) Album "Vanishing Gardens". Track 1 "Defiant"
It starts out slow but builds to a nice rhythm. I can't define the genre of this entire album but I play it a lot.

Like I said, these may not be in your comfort zone but give 'em a go.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Old 12-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the lead on great music. I hope this thread takes off. I’m always looking to try new music. I’ll make my 3 picks when I have more time.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 PM

This is a wonderful suggestion! I just printed out your selections and will give them a listen.

Of the three you listed I'm only familiar with Charles Lloyd, and a huge fan.

I found Riopy to be a great player, but a bit predictable.
Josh Groban: I'm going to guess that he's big in the music world. Strong in every department and his band is dead solid! A bit too country for me, but I'd pay to hear him live.
Charles Lloyd: Fugetaboutit! A master of interplay, along with wonderful development throughout. The (steel?) guitar is killer!

Here's mine, and just so you know, 3 selections is tough.

1. Hadouk Trio, "Dragon de lune." A live recording and smoking hot players. Some of the best brush work by a drummer I've ever heard.
2. Brad Mehldau Trio "And I Love Her." Without question the best interpretation of this classic Beatles tune I've ever heard. Hang on, the tunes continues to develop until the end.
3. Dizzie Gillespie "Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac," Live at the Memory Lane, 1967 I love the man and what he did outside of his music and I love his music on so many levels.

Thank you for starting this thread! I look forward to listening to a lot of new music!

- Bob

Thank you!

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables

Last edited by jzzmusician; 12-05-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Jim,
Great albums.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 AM

Default Try Getting Out of Your Music Comfort Zone

Excellent Jim, thanks for starting this. I particularly enjoyed the Charles Lloyd. Here are 3 that may not be new, but were new discoveries for me this year - picked based on the music, not necessarily audiophile sound.

Greg Brown, track “Dream Café” from the 1992 album of the same name. The track has a hypnotic rhythm and guitar chord progression, as well as beautiful singing and poignant lyrics. Lyrics sampler:
“I've come down with a sickness--
I thought you were the cure.
But passion seems to promise more,
than friendship can endure.”

E.S.T., track “Tuesday Wonderland” from the 2007 album E.S.T. Live in Hamburg - great progressive jazz, or perhaps a bit genre-bending.

Hapa, track “Ku’u Lei Awapuhi” from the 1992 album Hapa. Gorgeous melody, harmonies and guitars.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 12-05-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM

I am starting to listen to others suggestions now. One comment. Post the album where the track can be located if possible. It will make it easier for others to locate.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-05-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Bob (AKA. JzzMusician)

Your Jazz suggestions definitely directed me towards music outside my normal comfort zone.

Of the three the first by the Hadouk Trio interested me the most. I will give that entire album a try as time permits. Nicely recorded too.

I tried the MQA version of the Brad Mehldau Trio piece. The SQ of the track was impeccable. You are correct their interpretation of this Beatles song is top notch. Made me listen to a couple more tracks on the album. There is great body to the piano in "Since I Fell For You"

I am guessing The Dizzie Gillespie track is for real Jazz lovers and not for the casual listener. My guess is that hearing it performed live would be great but less so on a recording. I find that true with some other artists to for example, I really enjoy Bruce Springsteen in concert but I don't play his recordings too often. When it is live you feel part of the event.

Last edited by Still-One; 12-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Tony

The Greg Brown track "Dream Cafe" is right up my alley from an artist I had never heard of. I am always looking for music such as this.

I think JzzMusician will enjoy your second selection as I did. Another group I was unfamiliar with. Nice recording that keeps moving along without becoming repetitive. Makes me want to listen to more of the album.

There is some nice harmonizing on the HAPA track. I feel like I am sitting in a bar in the Islands.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM

BUMP

Come on... we need more suggestions. I know someone wants us to hear something they enjoy.