AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy

Jeremy.......I have it both ways with my two system. The living room rig is the C2300 tube preamplifier feeding a pair of MC601's. The studio system is the C1000C/P solid state preamplifier feeding a pair of MC2301's. Both combinations offer superb performance, in my opinion.
Last question (I'm having some wine so the courage is up): does mc ss with tube pre come close to Mc tube sound or is it just different? It's a huge question for me directionally and I'd appreciate any input. -JB
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaudio68 View Post
Last question (I'm having some wine so the courage is up): does mc ss with tube pre come close to Mc tube sound or is it just different? It's a huge question for me directionally and I'd appreciate any input. -JB
Jeremy.......That is a loaded question, no pun intended. McIntosh tube sound covers a great many years of tube based amplifier production. My first McIntosh tube amplifiers were a pair of MC30 mono amps that McIntosh introduced in 1960 for $120.00. Their sound was quite different from the MC275 stereo tube power amp introduced in 1961 and sold through 1970 for $444.00. The tube sound of the original MC275 is quite different from the MC275 MkV and 50th Anniversary Edition in the current catalog. All of those tube amplifiers sound different from McIntosh's MC2000, and the newest MC2301 tube power amps. The evolution of McIntosh tube amplifiers has continuously brought newer technology and higher quality internal components to their designs, and is clearly reflected in each amplifier's voicing.

When I did a direct comparison of the McIntosh C1000C/P solid state preamplifier to the C1000C/T tube preamplifier (http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...vs-c1000t.html) I was surprised to discover there were far more similarities than differences in their sound. McIntosh manage to build two completely different components while managing to maintain a very similar and cohesive sonic signature between both of them. The same does not hold true, though, for their power amplifiers. Each power amplifier has a particular voice that makes the amp's personality independent of the others, although there is a common thread of excellence in sound woven through all McIntosh amplifiers. In their MC2301 tube amp design there is a faster sense of pace, rhythm and timing that differentiates it from the other tube based power amps. The MC2301 tube power amp also compares quite favorably with McIntosh's newest solid state offerings.

OK, I've said all that to say this. All preamplifiers and power amplifiers, no matter the design concept or the manufacturer, have a sonic signature. Putting any two components together to assemble a preamplifier/amplifier package is as much about component synergy as it is about sonic signatures. It has been my experience with the solid state power amplifiers I have owned, most sounded best to me driven with tube preamplifiers. I can also tell you that the C1000C/P solid state preamplifier I drive my MC2301's with creates an incredible sonic performance. Ultimately it boils down to your taste, not mine, on what tickles your fancy. My suggestion to you is to audition the gear you are most interested in owning, preferably in your home, and make your decision on what gives you consistent goosebumps, and what doesn't.
Cheers......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-01-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Dan, I totally agree with you, especially the last paragraph. I know I'm not alone when I say that you and the other fine people have saved us "learners" countless hours and dollars so that we know WHAT to audition. I read and re-read what is written. It's a passion and I love to learn. Perhaps I'm a little embarrassed to admit that before this forum, I was absolutely relentless with Frank Gow asking question after question. He was so patient as are you all. If I had a claim to fame it would be that on two occasions I actually taught him something which is how I ended up with Ib2s (long story but I had tie this back to the thread right? )

Anyway thank you and whomever I do purchase from will know that I respected them enough to do some homework. -JB
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jermey.......One thing I have learned through countless auditions in dealer show rooms over many years, I am better informed and knowledgeable about the audio components of interest than the salesmen who hoped I would drop my cash in their registers. Having a salesman sell me on a component has never happened to me. I know exactly what I want, do my research, do my auditions, and make my decision. A salesman serves two purposes for me, work out an amicable deal that satisfies me and get my new component delivered. The rest is up to me.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-01-2012 at 11:26 PM.